Maryhill v Maxwelltown (Dumfries)

10 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Delightful to start the season with a win and quite enjoyed winding up players again rather than just watching at home. 

Our defence is massively suspect though, a team that could have actually defended a wee bit better would have probably beaten us today. At least Qots seem to be worse at defending than us, but actually look a decent side, a pity you signed Ally Roy he's absolutely awful. 

I don't really get all the negativity about Ally Roy from Thistle and Airdrie fans although they have obviously seen more of him than I have. From what I've seen of him so far he's looked ok but I obviously reserve the right to change my mind if the goals don't come. He missed a fairly easy sitter yesterday which I hope is not a sign of things to come. Early days.

I don't really get all the negativity about Ally Roy from Thistle and Airdrie fans although they have obviously seen more of him than I have. From what I've seen of him so far he's looked ok but I obviously reserve the right to change my mind if the goals don't come. He missed a fairly easy sitter yesterday which I hope is not a sign of things to come. Early days.
A quick look at his stats show he has a strike rate of worse than a goal every 5 games which for a striker is garbage. Also he's a snakey grass.

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
13 minutes ago, Fae_the_ said:

A quick look at his stats show he has a strike rate of worse than a goal every 5 games which for a striker is garbage. Also he's a snakey grass.

A quick look at his stats since he came here shows something completely different. Still early days of course and he might prove his critics right but until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  I've no idea what the "snakey grass" thing is about and couldn't really give a toss.

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I've no idea what the "snakey grass" thing is about and couldn't really give a toss.

Going into the last day of the season under Caldwell where we needed to beat Queens to guarantee survival, the assistant manager sent out a message asking the players to send in who they would pick to start. Ally Roy screenshotted the message and got it stuck on twitter in an attempt to make the management team look bad - well, worse that their performances had already made them look. 

He was also absolutely pish for us. Like, woefully out of his depth to the extent that I'm amazed he's still a full time player. 

On our disallowed goal, for those closer was it as stupid a decision to originally allow it as it seemed?  Headed back in from what seemed like right on the byline, but were there players on the line that make it a closer decision than that?

From memory it was blatantly obvious. When the goal went in I was relaxed and said "ah he's miles off, that won't count". Needless to say my seethe levels went off the chart when the linesman started to run up the line.
I remember that now. Was the ball over the line ?

I'm not sure but the rebound was hammered in regardless.

A quick look at his stats since he came here shows something completely different. Still early days of course and he might prove his critics right but until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  I've no idea what the "snakey grass" thing is about and couldn't really give a toss.
Wow. Don't care about a player in the dressing room who will cause disruption and undermine his teammates and management. Really? We hear all the time about the disruption that players hate within the dressing room. Doesn't mean they can't be successful of course. The most obvious example of that is Schmeichel and Keane who it is well known didn't get on.

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I wouldn’t count on that, he hardly ever played for us. He was never particularly good on the odd occasion I can remember him, and he was hopeless yesterday for Queens - should really have scored though. 

My abiding memory of Ally Roy for us was his hilarious offside goal, which I believe was strangely enough against QotS. A cross was swung in and the Queens defender tried to clear the ball but blasted it off the onrushing Roy’s shin and it bounced into the net. He celebrated wildly before turning around and seeing the linesman’s offside flag. All very funny stuff.

To compound the nonsense I’m sure we then stuck the image of him scoring his flukey, offside goal on the cover of the next match programme. Partick Thistle 18/19 season - an all-round shambles.

Was it Roy who basically passed the ball into Sneddon's arms after being given a near open goal with that woeful pass back by Bell? 

You could tell he was desperate to score yesterday with the stick he was getting, but just wasn't good enough to do anything about it.

Tbf he was right to highlight the tinpot management by Caldwell.

Wow. Don't care about a player in the dressing room who will cause disruption and undermine his teammates and management. Really? We hear all the time about the disruption that players hate within the dressing room. Doesn't mean they can't be successful of course. The most obvious example of that is Schmeichel and Keane who it is well known didn't get on.

4 hours ago, jaggyness said:
4 hours ago, Fae_the_ said:

Scored 6 goals in the League Cup, though a Hat-trick against his previous club Airdrieonians.

48 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

My abiding memory of Ally Roy for us was his hilarious offside goal, which I believe was strangely enough against QotS. A cross was swung in and the Queens defender tried to clear the ball but blasted it off the onrushing Roy’s shin and it bounced into the net. He celebrated wildly before turning around and seeing the linesman’s offside flag. All very funny stuff.

To compound the nonsense I’m sure we then stuck the image of him scoring his flukey, offside goal on the cover of the next match programme. Partick Thistle 18/19 season - an all-round shambles.

Mine is his dad turning up on the Thistle thread to tell us what a great player we’d signed because he once scored a hat trick against some fifth tier Irish mob.

But aye, that programme cover was one of the most tinpot things of all time 

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

From memory it was blatantly obvious. When the goal went in I was relaxed and said "ah he's miles off, that won't count". Needless to say my seethe levels went off the chart when the linesman started to run up the line.

I'm not sure but the rebound was hammered in regardless.

Did he get booked for doing it - Graham did for something similar

18 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

Even Gary Caldwell managed to finish above Queen of the South.

Aye, a QoS team managed by Gary Naysmith who basically threw in the towel after New Year and was rightly punted before the relegation play-offs. He shouldn't have lasted that long. 

21 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He hadn't really done much for Airdrie to merit going up a league, as well as the below, he's just not a very good footballer. 

16 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This is my lasting memory of him, real comedy stuff. 

On 25/07/2021 at 08:17, die hard doonhamer said:

I'm fairly optimistic for the season ahead, as we've recruited pretty well. That, of course, probably means we'll struggle for most of it.

I'd expect another couple of new faces in before this game, so can't predict a starting team quite yet. It'll be interesting to see if Cochrane comes straight in to the side.

Score draw.

I like Cochrane a lot and when he first broke into the Hearts team I thought he had unlimited potential. 

However the first time he played v Celtic he made the mistake of taking Scott Brown to the cleaners. The second time he played v Celtic he was carried off on a stretcher and hasn't been the same player since. 

I cringe everytime I see and think about Brown's tackle on this young man and get angry when I hear people like Willie Miller praising Brown. 

After his tackle on Cochrane the  football authorities should have shown Brown the door!