Maryhill v Maxwelltown (Dumfries)

For Jags fans, Maxwelltown being the district of Dumfries in which Palmerston is located. Canny beat a wee bit of alliteration on a Saturday night eh?

Anyhow, first league game of the new season and our first real chance to see how our sides might actually fare (after the experiments in team selection of the league cup).

Thistle have the more settled side with more continuity from last season, and the bigger budget and greater expectations from their fans - you'd have to think Thistle should be at least aiming for top 4 if not more.

For Queens it's another total rebuild of a squad from AJ/SC on a tight budget and if they get away with it two seasons on the trot then hats off to the pair of them. Some of the signings this summer have looked promising so far, but it's a very young and inexperienced squad (bar Gibson) with maybe some more additions still to come.

An opening tie up at Firhill is always going to be a tough baptism for our young side so a point wouldn't go wrong. Here's hoping wee McCall goes easy on his home town team.

Thoughts and predictions?

15 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

Bigger budget...you got 500k we got 150k...

We’ll still definitely have a bigger budget that Queens do, because we’re fucking massive*. Will be interesting to see how Queens get on having replaced Dobbie with a grass, and seemingly having barely anyone left from last season. 

*not really. 

I'm fairly optimistic for the season ahead, as we've recruited pretty well. That, of course, probably means we'll struggle for most of it.

I'd expect another couple of new faces in before this game, so can't predict a starting team quite yet. It'll be interesting to see if Cochrane comes straight in to the side.

Score draw.

9 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

8-0 Thistle. Smith and Rudden hat tricks, Graham with 2. Graham misses a penalty to get his hat trick.

C'mon HT3 ...... none of this "sitting on the fence" lark ..... 😏

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
26 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:
Into these Tory ,pig-sticking Borderers Thistle. Thank you.
1-1

I get the first three insults but where does the Thistle part come from? Arguably the biggest insult in there.

You get the jist my man 🤪

7 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Maryhill Magyars 0 Maxwelltown Thistle 1
Ally Roy to score in 89th minute

The seethe would be beyond belief

Edited by Rouky

I'd like nothing more than for Queens to knock the chip off the shoulders of these Glasgow perma-whingers.  Unfortunately,  according to some of our support,  we've apparently not enough experience in the squad for the Championship,  so unless Johnston can sign half a dozen over 30's soon we'll not pick up a single point this season. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

I'd like nothing more than for Queens to knock the chip off the shoulders of these Glasgow perma-whingers.  Unfortunately,  according to some of our support,  we've apparently not enough experience in the squad for the Championship,  so unless Johnston can sign half a dozen over 30's soon we'll not pick up a single point this season. 
I don't know who's being that extreme. Other than Northfield, as per.

The backline (3) is really inexperienced though. The average age is about 20, East has never played a CB before, certainly not at Championship level and either have Nditi or Dunn. I don't think it's a criticism of the back 3 to say they're inexperienced it's just a fact. Cooper adds to it though but ideally another CB with Championship experience wouldn't go a miss. Though I suppose we need to be careful what we wish for when you consider Broadfoot and Buchanan fit that description...

If QoS’s young, inexperienced backline is as suspect as some are predicting, i’d fancy us to create plenty of chances as we’ve looked pretty good going forward so far. However until we strengthen our rabble of a defence, I’m sure Queens will get their chances as well.

Sounds like a potentially high scoring game, which of course means one thing - 0-0

We've had pretty much experienced defenders for the past few seasons,  it didn't keep us from flirting with relegation each time,  so the shouts to get more experience in there doesn't exactly guarantee a tighter defence.  I think attack is the best form of defence might be our motto this season. 

If QoS’s young, inexperienced backline is as suspect as some are predicting, i’d fancy us to create plenty of chances as we’ve looked pretty good going forward so far. However until we strengthen our rabble of a defence, I’m sure Queens will get their chances as well.
Sounds like a potentially high scoring game, which of course means one thing - 0-0
As I say, it's not a criticism of the backline it's just the reality. Given their inexperience they've actually done pretty well and haven't warranted any criticism so far. We'll face tougher challenges than Airdrie and Annan though and that's where the inexperience will likely show.

Having said all that I don't think any of the back 3 deserve to be dropped and I'd struggle to decide which one to leave out.

You've described us there as well except our defence isn't a rabble. We've looked dangerous almost every time we've attacked so far this season. As you say though it'll no doubt be a 0-0 snoozefest on Saturday.