21/22 League Cup 2nd Round Draw

As the Group Stages of the League cup come to an end, we have (mostly) a list of who is through and a rough idea of who will be seeded.

I will update the table once the draw has bee made but as it stands, the following Teams are seeded and unseeded (will update after the Hearts game).

Seeded

• Aberdeen
  • Celtic
  • Dundee
  • Dundee United
  • Hibs
  • Rangers
  • St Johnstone
  • St Mirren

Unseeded

• Arbroath
  • Ayr
  • Dunfermlinee
  • Hearts
  • Kilmarnock
  • Livingston
  • Motherwell
  • Raith Rovers

Final draw:

• Rangers vs Dunfermline
  • Arbroath vs St Johnstone
  • Hibs vs Kilmarnock
  • Ayr United vs Dundee United
  • Celtic vs Hearts
  • Raith Rovers vs Aberdeen
  • Dundee vs Motherwell
  • Livingston vs St Mirren

The draw itself will take place After the Heats vs ICT match on Premier Sports on Sunday 25th July. The fixtures are due to take place on the weekend beginning the 14th and 15th of August 2021. The exact dates and times will be decided at a later date (so not on the 25th July) as TV picks will have to  e decided before hand.

So who is everyone hoping for? Ideally since we are unseeded, I would prefer Dundee. The easiest team that I can think of in this seeding.

Edited by Phillips455
Final Seedings confirmed

6 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

As the Group Stages of the League cup come to an end, we have (mostly) a list of who is through and a rough idea of who will be seeded.

I will update the table once the draw has bee made but as it stands, the following Teams are seeded, unseeded or undetermined:

Seeded

• Aberdeen
  • Celtic
  • Dundee
  • Hibs
  • Rangers
  • St Johnstone

Unseeded

• Arbroath
  • Dumfermline
  • Kilmarnock
  • Livingston
  • Motherwell
  • Raith Rovers

To Be Confirmed

• Ayr
  • Dundee United
  • Hearts
  • St Mirren/Partick

Hearts - to be seeded they just need to win other than 1-0 and 2-1. Those 2 results mean they would be tied with Dundee United and could potentially kiss out on being seeded. Alternativley if St Mirren fail to win or only win by 1 goal then any win would suit Hearts.

St Mirren - They need to win and better Hearts result. They are a goal behind Hearts so to guarantee a seeded place they need to exceed Hearts goal difference or Dundee uniteds +8.

Partick - added them in hear as they basically need to win to qualify. They can't get a seeded place but since they and St mirren are the only 2 teams where they haven't confirmed qualification as of yet.

Dundee United - all they will have to hope for is one of the above situations involving St Mirren or Hearts to occur. If both Occur then Dundee United will be Unseeded.

Ayr - basically want both Hearts and St mirren to lose. Otherwise they will be unseeded.

The draw itself will take place After the Heats vs ICT match on Premier Sports on Sunday 25th July. The fixtures are due to take place on the weekend beginning the 14th and 15th of August 2021. The exact dates and times will be decided at a later date (so not on the 25th July) as TV picks will have to  e decided before hand.

So who is everyone hoping for? Ideally since we are unseeded, I would prefer Dundee. The easiest team that I can think of in this seeding.

Shurely shome mishtake? Where's the 3rd/4th tier diddy that Hibs are guaranteed to draw at this stage of knockout competitions? Can't expect them to have to play opposition of Arbroath's class this early.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth
Fat finger

Going to be tough for us whatever seeded team we play.

We are set up to try and dominate possession and win through attacking flare.  Time will tell if that’s going to succeed in the league,  but if we’re looking to have a cup upset seems less likely to work vs being well organised and hoping to hit on the counter. 

Baring the seeded team having an absolute shocker I think this is as far as we go.

Edited by parsforlife

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Going to be tough for us whatever seeded team we play.

We are set up to try and dominate possession and win through attacking flare.  Time will tell if that’s going to succeed in the league,  but if we’re looking to have a cup upset seems less likely to work vs being well organised and hoping to hit on the counter. 

Baring the seeded team having an absolute shocker I think this is as far as we go.

Defeatist! You almost beat Celtic away in this two years ago, when they were decent... and some players might arrive mit ze Germans.

25 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Hearts - to be seeded they just need to win other than 1-0 and 2-1. Those 2 results mean they would be tied with Dundee United and could potentially kiss out on being seeded. Alternativley if St Mirren fail to win or only win by 1 goal then any win would suit Hearts.

St Mirren - They need to win and better Hearts result. They are a goal behind Hearts so to guarantee a seeded place they need to exceed Hearts goal difference or Dundee uniteds +8.

If Hearts win 2-1, they rank higher than Dundee Utd on away goals so the only win that won't guarantee their seeding is 1-0. 

Any win by 2 goals is enough for St Mirren, regardless of Hearts' result (2-0 puts them above Dundee Utd, again on away goals). 

12 minutes ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Defeatist! You almost beat Celtic away in this two years ago, when they were decent... and some players might arrive mit ze Germans.

Aye a wee bit.  But that’s slightly my point Crawford’s natural instinct was to set us up to be hard to beat and hope to knick something.  Grant is the opposite.

Edited by parsforlife

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I will update the table once the draw has bee made but as it stands, the following Teams are seeded, unseeded or undetermined:

Seeded

• Aberdeen
  • Celtic
  • Dundee
  • Hibs
  • Rangers
  • St Johnstone

Unseeded

• Arbroath
  • Dumfermline
  • Kilmarnock
  • Livingston
  • Motherwell
  • Raith Rovers

To Be Confirmed

• Ayr
  • Dundee United
  • Hearts
  • St Mirren/Partick

Partick - added them in hear as they basically need to win to qualify. They can't get a seeded place but since they and St mirren are the only 2 teams where they haven't confirmed qualification as of yet.

Dundee United - all they will have to hope for is one of the above situations involving St Mirren or Hearts to occur. If both Occur then Dundee United will be Unseeded.

Ayr - basically want both Hearts and St mirren to lose. Otherwise they will be unseeded.

Who the f**k are they ? 

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Arbroath at Dens, please.

Would be awful for us. Probably wouldn’t get to go and Dundee is the one team we’ve never ever turned up against recently, we’d be out too.

Just want Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers or Hibs at home to have a crack at them. Barkas at Gayf would be funny.

3 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Worth noting that Hibs, Aberdeen and St Johnstone’s games are all likely to be the Sunday due to European duty on the Thursday night.

Yeah, this. Don't think we play a single Saturday game throughout August.

I want as easy a tie as possible really, so whatever that looks like. This game for us will take place just 3 days after we play Galatasaray, then just 4 days before we, one way or another, play in a European Play-Off for a group stage. Probably means this will take the back seat and it'll be a rotated side that plays.

So after the results today, its Dundee Unoted and Stmirren who are seeded. Hearts miss out on a seeded spot on goals scored.

Seeded

• Aberdeen
  • Celtic
  • Dundee
  • Dundee United
  • Hibs
  • Rangers
  • St Johnstone
  • St Mirren

Unseeded

• Arbroath
  • Ayr