The League One 21/22 Sack Race

The League One 21/22 Sack Race  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I've went Ferguson purely as I don't believe he's a good manager at all which will shine through at Alloa and I don't reckon Mulraney will mess about for too long before punting him. 

We'd need to be on relegation form well after Hogmanay for that to be considered, IMO. An absolute bare-skull screaming shitemare. Even then, he'd probably only be punted when relegation was all but confirmed. Mulraney tends to give managers a wee bit of time; I don't think we've sacked anyone since Allan Maitland?

Not saying it's impossible that we'll absolutely shit the bed this season given who's in cherge, but somebody else is liable to be moved on first.

I went for Darren Young purely as things already don't look right. Very little in the way of players coming in and I wonder if Young is seeing less backing than he's had previously. 

Ferguson could be a car crash but Alloa are usually pretty stable with their managers (if they don't get nabbed by other clubs). 

Farrell has been given a two year deal and has given a fair amount of players the same. Barring complete disaster and us staring at certain relegation I expect him to see out those two years. 

On 24/07/2021 at 23:54, BFTD said:

We'd need to be on relegation form well after Hogmanay for that to be considered, IMO. An absolute bare-skull screaming shitemare. Even then, he'd probably only be punted when relegation was all but confirmed. Mulraney tends to give managers a wee bit of time; I don't think we've sacked anyone since Allan Maitland?

Not saying it's impossible that we'll absolutely shit the bed this season given who's in cherge, but somebody else is liable to be moved on first.

We kinda sacked Danny Lennon (in all but announcement only) but your point is valid, we tend not to go down the road of sacking managers. 

Goodwin I believe was pretty close at one point in the promotion winning season, but of course he totally turned it around after the January window.

Murray gone by xmas when we are languishing 7th in the table. Either that or he will have a belter , winning the league at a canter, and I will end up with egg on my face :)

Edited by G_H

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Do resignations count? What about being offered a job at The Ran...err, another club?

Nah sackings only i think , if you mean er him you know that guy ... he will have to be pretty succesful to go there or... err another club

On 24/07/2021 at 23:54, The Moonster said:

I went for Darren Young purely as things already don't look right. Very little in the way of players coming in and I wonder if Young is seeing less backing than he's had previously. 

We gave him a 2 year contract at the end of last season, so probably cant afford to sack him.

9 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

We gave him a 2 year contract at the end of last season, so probably cant afford to sack him.

Fair enough, it really does look like he's not getting much backing from the board though. Either that or East Fife are scaling back a bit. 

I don't think he'll be sacked but wouldn't be too surprised to see Darren Young resign if East Fife are struggling. He clearly has ambitions to manage full-time and while I don't think he's good enough for that getting relegated with East Fife would surely rule out any chance of a full-time club giving him a job anytime soon.

I don't see how resigning - having routinely failed to get East Fife into the playoffs from promising positions in the spring of a few seasons - would actually salvage his chances of full-time management though.

Speaking loosely from the perspective of a club at the bottom of full-time jobs right now, I'd have Petrie over Young as a manager by about 100x if possible. Technically Young is an ex-player of ours but I still don't think he would show up seriously on our radar, and we're already on our 17th manager since 2000.

If Young wants a full-time job after leaving East Fife then he'd need to turn things around rather than leaving. As it stands (rightly or not), he's just a bog-standard seaside league manager who wouldn't get a gig in the Championship.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

I don't see how resigning - having routinely failed to get East Fife into the playoffs from promising positions in the spring of a few seasons - would actually salvage his chances of full-time management though.

Speaking loosely from the perspective of a club at the bottom of full-time jobs right now, I'd have Petrie over Young as a manager by about 100x if possible. Technically Young is an ex-player of ours but I still don't think he would show up seriously on our radar, and we're already on our 17th manager since 2000.

If Young wants a full-time job after leaving East Fife then he'd need to turn things around rather than leaving. As it stands (rightly or not), he's just a bog-standard seaside league manager who wouldn't get a gig in the Championship.

Well obviously Petrie is better than Young. Petrie is happy part time with his job outside football, whereas Young has applied for full time jobs already.