The Championship 21/22 Sack Race

The Championship 21/22 Sack Race  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Grant won’t be first, I’d bet a lot of money on that. 

Dunfermline tend to wait a long time before they sack managers, even if they deserve it. Hay, Kenny, McIntyre, AJ all lasted far longer than they should have. Crawford would probably still be in charge now if he hadn’t packed it in. 

I think Accies panic and ditch Rice in October/November. Their fans might correct me but he seems to be an absolutely shite manager and also alarmingly thick.

Could also see Tommy Wright quitting before he’s pushed if Killie start slowly.

McGlynn and Campbell are about as safe as you can be at this level. Would be a big shock if either got sacked, even if struggling.

I think Accies panic and ditch Rice in October/November. Their fans might correct me but he seems to be an absolutely shite manager and also alarmingly thick.

A beautiful and accurate description.

There’s definitely a few guys that it could go either way for them. I’d definitely agree that McGlynn and Campbell are untouchable. Arbroath will be quite happy to slip back into League One and keep him on.

Hopkin, Dodds, Rice and McPherson are the ones to watch imo.

There doesn’t appear to be an obvious candidate this early on like there often is going into new seasons. I’d say Hopkin probably has the least “goodwill” from his own supporters at this point, but he’s still new in the job and you’d imagine will be given plenty of time unless Ayr have a disastrous first quarter/third of the season.

I’ll go for Dodds, just because I think he’s the biggest unknown commodity.

46 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

McCall once the stroll to the title doesn't materialise 

We never sacked him when we were sitting 5th in League One with 7 games left, I don’t see why we would when we don’t win the league this year. I think our board would be pretty happy if we’re challenging for the promotion playoffs, and I can’t see McCall being punted unless we look like going back down.

Rice seems like a bad manager, but then so did Martin Canning and Accies kept him on for about 20 years so f**k knows if their board even knows that they’re allowed to sack managers. Same with Dunfermline who generally give them too much time. Arbroath and Raith won’t sack there’s, but that’s because they’re quite good managers.

Its between Dodds and Hopkin for me, with Johnston an outside bet. Dodds seems like a complete moron and I think Caley will be quite shite under him, while Hopkin plays an atrocious style of football which is fine if he can get results but if he can’t I can see the fans turning very quickly. Let’s say it’ll be Hopkin.

McPherson was handed a two year deal in the summer and the board have got enough on their plate to deal with due to the stalling takeover. Unless he walks, he'll be going nowhere.

Hopkin's coat is on the shoogliest peg, given their stinking performances and form in the second half of last season. 

I'm not saying their clubs will necessarily have shite starts, but the only two you could see being emptied very early on with a bad start are Rice and Hopkin.

With the likes of Dodds, Johnston or MacPherson you'd think even a disastrous winless start to the season won't have them sacked before at least 10 games have been played and realistically it's difficult to see any of them gone before Christmas barring a total catastrophe. However if Hamilton or Ayr were to be sitting with eg only three points after six games or so, there'd already be a massive amount of pressure on Rice or Hopkin. Hamilton are ridiculously patient with managers and willing to ignore their fans though, so even that's a stretch.

I guess Hopkins, Dodds and Rice might be the ones to come under the most pressure if things don't go too well from the off - perhaps Wright too as the expectations will be huge, but I think TW will sort it out eventually and he'll be given time.  As VT says, Morton have given MacPherson a 2 year deal and the club have bigger structural issues to deal with at the moment and could probably do without managerial turmoil so Gus should be safe.  Campbell and McGlynn should also be safe as houses (I'm always impressed by JMcG's work) and I can't see the McCall/Maryhill love affair ending too soon.  I expect the Pars to do well this season but I'm sure Grant will be given at least a couple of seasons to get it right anyway.  That leaves AJ/SC but I think they're well thought of by our BOD and if they can continue to survive in this league despite a total re-build two seasons in a row and despite a perceived low budget then that's no mean feat to be fair.