The Premiership 21/22 Sack Race

The Premiership 21/22 Sack Race  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

I'd be astonished if Neilson got sacked, pretty much regardless of how bad Hearts were to be.

You'll know more about it, but I tend to think any team that's just been down - especially a bigger club - will be quite trigger-happy in order to avoid a repeat.

It's a big season for Nielson: he turned down replacing Jack Ross with us, and then opted out of sticking with Utd in the top flight. It'll be interesting to see if he thrives or gets utterly found out.

I happen to think you'll have a good season, just not necessarily with Nelson in charge after October.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You'll know more about it, but I tend to think any team that's just been down - especially a bigger club - will be quite trigger-happy in order to avoid a repeat.

It's a big season for Nielson: he turned down replacing Jack Ross with us, and then opted out of sticking with Utd in the top flight. It'll be interesting to see if he thrives or gets utterly found out.

I happen to think you'll have a good season, just not necessarily with Nelson in charge after October.

Neilson is very well liked by those running Hearts, and short of an absolute staring-relegation-in-the-face catastrophe, I don't think he's under any pressure at all.

Hearts will accept a fairly mind-numbing season of nothingness. They've shown this by the squad they're going with.

Far too early for this, but with that said, it's clear the manager most out of his depth and due to be dropped as soon as they can find a cheap replacement is Davidson at St Johnstone....

Ok, so with my contractually obliged comment out of the way...

McKay, Alexander and Couts seem the most likely to run into trouble. For differing reasons. McKay is already under pressure, Alexander seems to be scrambling to form a team while losing to teams like Airdrie, and Couts you feel is either going to take time and become entirely average, or bomb out early doors. For some reason I feel Glass won't have the stellar start to the league that his first European tilt would suggest. A dark horse for me, that one. Postecoglou has to have a mention here too. He's arrived late, and with a team in flux, and while I'm sure the board will give him time (they did with Lennon) but will the fans? Nelson? Hmm, you feel Budge will stick by him as long as he's not in the bottom half of the league, and there is every chance they will be bottom half of the league. Like Celtic, the board will give them enough time to allow another manager to grab "the sack race" win.

Of course the flip side of the sack race and that's the headhunter race. Of the managers you could see going on to bigger and better things.. Gerrard has to be my top pick here, he's achieved what he wanted, he'll get a Euro run and I'll be surprised if by the middle of the season and Rangers are flying but are out of Europe there will be no end of suitors. Ross I can see getting another move, although again I think it would all come down to how well he does in Europe. Of the "provincial" clubs, you'd have to say it's surprising more clubs haven't come sniffing about Davidson, he won a fucking cup double in effectively his debut season.  Goodwin, I expect will appear in the "list of managers" that regularly get added to a "who will be the new manager at [xxxx] club?" he might go.

Probably the most secure managerial position is Martindale. He has the club performing way above where you'd expect them, he's unlikely to want to move considering Livi have backed him so strongly regarding his conviction, and it's that conviction which may 'scare' other suitors away.

Edited by Ric

Has Alex Neil not been in the works for the Hearts job for a while now, to the point the backroom staff is built for him?

Suspect Neilson won't last beyond the first poor run and Neil will take over.

I voted Neilson. I think he's well liked by those at the club, but there was so much noise around him that I think if we have a bad start the pressure will really mount on him.

That said, I don't think he's a bad manager, just boring, and he has it in him to quieten down the fans if he gets some early decent results against the like of Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has Alex Neil not been in the works for the Hearts job for a while now, to the point the backroom staff is built for him?

Don't think so tbh. With Savage coming in as DoF there's obviously the connection, but if we wanted him in we'd have used the Brora game to bin Neilson rather than keep him on and give him pre-season.

Guest TheJTS98
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah. Rumour was doing the rounds for a while, but a few of my friends have different ITK sources at Hearts (we're a small world) and they've all dismissed it.

Not to say he wouldn't necessarily be considered for the job. I'd imagine he'd be a decent enough candidate. But he's not being fitted up for it. As pointed out by my Right Honourable Friend, why would we not have brought him in over the summer if so keen to do so? Fans would broadly be behind it, and Brora was a great opportunity to do so.

I really think those running the club see Neilson as the future. There's been absolutely nothing to suggest Hearts would move him on for a bad run.

Edited by TheJTS98

5 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Nah. Rumour was doing the rounds for a while, but a few of my friends have different ITK sources at Hearts (we're a small world) and they've all dismissed it.

Not to say he wouldn't necessarily be considered for the job. I'd imagine he'd be a decent enough candidate. But he's not being fitted up for it. As pointed out by my Right Honourable Friend, why would we not have brought him in over the summer if so keen to do so? Fans would broadly be behind it, and Brora was a great opportunity to do so.

I really think those running the club see Neilson as the future. There's been absolutely nothing to suggest Hearts would move him on for a bad run.

It would have to be a seriously long bad run

I voted for the Celtic guy who’s name I’m not convinced is worth bothering to learn 

the old firm are always only three bad results away from being “in crisis” and while Gerrard has goodwill in the bank this guy has nothing and his ethnic background won’t help.

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It would have to be a seriously long bad run

I voted for the Celtic guy who’s name I’m not convinced is worth bothering to learn 

the old firm are always only three bad results away from being “in crisis” and while Gerrard has goodwill in the bank this guy has nothing and his ethnic background won’t help.

Sorry Im confused as to what even his ethnic background is for it to go against him? If results don't go to plan straight away domestically then I think most will be pointing the finger at the board rather than the manager but there is a chance they would bin him to deflect  their shortcomings.

A season where pick-the-punt is a genuine lottery. Everything said above underlines that. (Lot of Hearts stuff here - are they insecure by any chance?)

Safe : The Fallen Angel at Ibrox unless snatched to bigger and better things. Most diddy boards will not be too trigger happy and will wait until 2022 to slip into panic mode (Livi/County/Well/St Mirren/St Double/Dundee). I'd guess that twitchy trigger-finger are clubs are likely to be Ra Celts/Utd/Hairts. Short of a low bottom-6  place, Mr Glass will easily be safe. Ditto Mr Ross.  I've thrown my unqualified opinion on DUFC hitting the panic button first. 

David Martindale - bubble popped just before the league cup final last season, scraped top 6 and seemed to shit himself at the prospect of European football. Jotters by December.

Malky Mackay - I think the only reason he’s no been punted is Uncle Roy not wanting to be proven wrong for appointing a racist. Gone after the first poor run or losing the dressing room.

Ange Postecoglu - Sacked in February after the league is over and knocked out the Scottish cup on penalties by Dunfermline.