Cove Rangers Vs Falkirk

Saturday sees the the start of a new season, one which we hope to be able to attend in person and in large numbers with no COVID breaks. A full 36 game season please 🙏

Both teams have aspirations of getting out of L1 and into the Championship, without the need to be involved in the playoffs. It would be a momentous occasion for Cove, and for Falkirk it would be a return to more familiar territory.

Will Falkirk be doing any squad training sessions prior to the game after the positive COVID test(s) that saw the Ayr game being a walkover?

Cove put in a good performance against ICT on Tuesday and showed real quality and composure on the ball, high intensity work rate, dominated the middle of the park and importantly carried a threat up top. Was more akin to how we played last season. 3 games before that were poor I must say.

Our CB pairing needs addressing;  hopefully 1 of the 2 new signings will help in that regard. Strachan should be available and will start. Morgyn Neill will rightfully be benched. Masson won't be back until early to Mid August.

Our predicted starting lineup (given no further signings)

McKenzie

Ross Strachan Draper Milne

Yule Vigurs Scully McIntosh

Fyvie

Mitch

Draper could be replaced by new signing

Cove's threat comes from controlling the centre of the pitch and being able to supply goal machine Mitch.

For me Falkirk carry threat from wide areas with Morrison, Nesbitt and McGuffie. 2 decent wing backs too in Williamson and McCann. Telfer I like in the middle of the park. Quality striker(s) needed is very much the consensus though. 

Prediction - hard to guess. Both teams will likely have at least 1 new signing (hopefully meaningful and not dross), will all players be fit and match sharp? Obviously I'll say Cove but could go either way. 

2-1 to Cove

* If I hadn't seen the ICT game and only the 3 before it I would have said Falkirk win. Hoping the prior games were getting match sharpness, blending in new players and only have 13 players each game.

Well aware this will essentially be a Falkirk thread given the Cove fans on here are me, myself and I.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Rumour is we've got 4 positive covid tests so our starting line up will depend heavily on who those 4 are. Covid aside we're all praying on a half decent striker coming in before the league starts. Dowds will hold the ball in well and knock it off but he doesn't look like a natural goalscorer. Keena from the small bits we've seen of him is the polar opposite, he looks to be a natural goalscorer but one of those players who's just tuck away the final ball. We need a striker who'll run the channels, make a nuisance of themselves and create chances for themselves as well as scoring the chances others create(not much to ask for I know) Cove have Megginson who'll do exactly that in abundance for them and fyvie who'll dictate the play in the middle of the park.

We may have to go all week without training and given the positive tests were seemingly on Wednesday we will most likely be without a fair few if the game goes ahead. If everyone was fully fit I expect we'd be lining up with the below.

Mutch
Williamson Mckay Dixon Mccann
Telfer Hetherington
Ross
Morrison Dowds Nesbitt

7 hours ago, IR1970 said:

Morgyn Neill will start.

You could well be right. If Strachan is fit he'll start and it will be either Neill or Draper alongside unless we take in a new CB this week that merits a starting place.

As long as we don't play Draper in midfield ahead of Scully we'll be ok 

Hartley was quoted saying Draper instills calmness at the back but for me watching him it's the opposite. I get fear when I see him particularly if the ball is on the deck. Needs benched and replaced with a proper CB. Our midfield is to strong for him to start

Edited by CoveRangers1922

10 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

given the positive tests were seemingly on Wednesday we will most likely be without a fair few if the game goes ahead

I was having a look at the rules on the NHS website. (link below) This part jumped out at me:- 

If you test positive, your self-isolation period includes the day your symptoms started (or the day you had the test, if you do not have symptoms) and the next 10 full days.

When to self-isolate and what to do - Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Assuming those are up to date and apply equally to footballers, next Saturday will be the final day of self-isolation.  Which means if we couldn't field a team against either Edinburgh or Ayr then we won't be able to field one against Cove. 

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think there is only one way the game can go ahead.

If the last  two games were cancelled not only because of positive tests, but also because of players being identified as close contacts. And if those close contacts subsequently tested negative in a PCR test, then presumably they'd be allowed to return to training and prepare normally. 

Just need to wait and see I guess. 

20 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Assuming those are up to date and apply equally to footballers, next Saturday will be the final day of self-isolation.  Which means if we couldn't field a team against either Edinburgh or Ayr then we won't be able to field one against Cove. 

Covid 3 - 0 Falkirk.

If that's the case the game will probably be rescheduled. 3-0 forfeited wins only apply in the cup games not league at least that's my understanding of what was agreed between clubs and the hierarchy. 

Edited by ebobsboy

31 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

And if those close contacts subsequently tested negative in a PCR test, then presumably they'd be allowed to return to training and prepare normally. 

Hmm, I just noticed something which I think answers my own speculation. 

I had a PCR test yesterday. It was negative. This is part of the email response I received. 

You still need to self-isolate for 10 days if:

·         this test follows a positive lateral flow test and you were advised to continue to self-isolate

·         you’re a contact of someone who tested positive

That being the case, I don't see how the Cove game can go ahead. Unless I'm misunderstanding some of the rules? 

Given the club statement I’d be surprised if this goes ahead. We’re talking about players health and well-being which should not be compromised.

Am I missing something? What does the players’ mental wellbeing have to do with this?

It’s shite that you might have to play the game with numerous players free from isolation just hours before the game, but I’m not getting the mental health angle the club is trying to go for in a further attempt to get the game postponed.