Dundee FC vs St Mirren

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can do you one better than that. If you're only looking at the position of the defenders, I think he looks offside. BUT he's actually behind the ball, so is 100% onside. (Using the lines on the pitch, the ball is right on the 18-yard line, where as Cummings is just behind.) 

So yeah, definitely onside, I'd say.

(PS: Pro tip - you can use the , and . keys to do frame-by-frame advance on Youtube.)

image.thumb.png.ee52c68d8695a21c43c0d1f2772b2d89.png

Looks very close to me 

1 minute ago, elvis said:

Looks very close to me 

Well, it is very close. But taking all sentiment out of it, we really ought to be giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt in situations like that. Plus, I'm very sure he's behind the ball there.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can do you one better than that. If you're only looking at the position of the defenders, I think he looks offside. BUT he's actually behind the ball, so is 100% onside. (Using the lines on the pitch, the ball is right on the 18-yard line, where as Cummings is just behind.) 

(PS: Pro tip - you can use the , and . keys to do frame-by-frame advance on Youtube.)

I do everything on my phone so not sure if that's possible?

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

This is far too civil and well meaning for this thread. 

Coventry Saint has always been one of the few sane and decent St Mirren fans although his recent definition of a foul has me calling that into question. 

1 minute ago, eindhovendeeaggio said:

That sending off 😲

I didn't notice at the time, but having slagged Adam for being a whinge, I have to applaud his totally nonchalant reaction to that red card there. He literally glances up and carries on jogging. 

Looking at the video for the pen and the still for Cummings goal I think the officials have actually got both correct.

For those thinking it wasn't a pen, try looking at Cummings body movement and where his arms are.  It'd be a foul outside the box every time, so it's a foul - and a penalty.

27 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I don't think it is a penalty for me, there is contact but not enough for a penalty. No doubt we'll get one the other way before the season is out. 

I think it's less of a penalty than the one given against us for Celtic last season, but even then Flynn has put his arms out and given the ref a decision to make.

The biggest issue there was it sparked Jim into his anti-diving tirade that we all knew was going to get shown up within a matter of weeks.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can do you one better than that. If you're only looking at the position of the defenders, I think he looks offside. BUT he's actually behind the ball, so is 100% onside. (Using the lines on the pitch, the ball is right on the 18-yard line, whereas Cummings is just behind.) 

I'm in this picture. 

Fame at last.

The penalty is a "you'd be annoyed if it was awarded against you" type, still going to take it though. It wasn't a dive and if anything it's both Cummings and Henderson being a bit clumsy. Cummings should know better, and gave the referee a question to answer. Considering how Napier 'answered' many other similar questions across the park is it any surprise he awarded it?

Overall I'm disappointed that we never took all 3 points, it's not like the Dundee goals weren't preventable, but as it's the start of the season, it was away from home, and we never suffered any injuries or suspensions then I'll take the draw.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I didn't notice at the time, but having slagged Adam for being a whinge, I have to applaud his totally nonchalant reaction to that red card there. He literally glances up and carries on jogging. 

This will no doubt irk the Dundee fans, but I feel Adam will be left out to dry this season. He's still motivated but is far too reckless in the tackle, fine for Championship, less so in this league. He'll start picking up yellows, get a name for himself, continue to lose a bit of pace, mistime more tackles, go to the press saying "why is it always me?", referees will start looking more closely at his game and even in fair 50/50s he'll get punished. We saw it with Goodwin, in a very similar role and with a very similar 'game mentality'.

I don't think it is a penalty for me, there is contact but not enough for a penalty. No doubt we'll get one the other way before the season is out. 
Cummings makes a mess of it, he then makes contact but if Jay stays on his feet there is no chance he gets awarded the penalty.

You see at least 10-15 fouls like that given during most games, players fall over with the slightest contact and the ref buys it.

Soft as hell, you take it when your team gets one but if that's given against us we are seething.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

Looks very close to me 

It is very close but that all comes down to what you think should happen in this situation.

With these marginal decisions, I'm always in favour of giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt and to that end, I've no complaints about it being allowed.

17 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Cummings makes a mess of it, he then makes contact but if Jay stays on his feet there is no chance he gets awarded the penalty.

You see at least 10-15 fouls like that given during most games, players fall over with the slightest contact and the ref buys it.

Soft as hell, you take it when your team gets one but if that's given against us we are seething.

I'll reserve judgment until the Motherwell fans have had a chance to comment.