English Premier League 2021/22 Season

2 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i would say finance tops all of those others in todays world unless you have a lot of the other 2, the two  most successful clubs in the last decade of english football weren't at the races before they won the lottery are now among the biggest

I agree. Today PSG can take players from AC Milan and Barcelona. Historically they aren't a bigger club but right now today they arguably are.

In reality it doesn't even matter, Celtic are bigger than Leicester but in the real world they lost their best manager in a generation to them so being the so called bigger club is meaningless.

Yeah, basically if your team wins fuck all for 60 odd years, but you have loads of fans, you're a big club.

There's a couple of clubs up here like that isn't there?

28 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I agree. Today PSG can take players from AC Milan and Barcelona. Historically they aren't a bigger club but right now today they arguably are.

In reality it doesn't even matter, Celtic are bigger than Leicester but in the real world they lost their best manager in a generation to them so being the so called bigger club is meaningless.

i'm old enough to be have around when Sacchi's Milan ruled the roost, now to kids of 15 or maybe even 20, they're just like Stanley, while a club only several weeks older than i am, is the Gold Standard to many of them.

Edit {and Milan of 1989/90 was smash any version of PSG}

Edited by Meldrew

“This makes your whole week. If you get beat you’re going to have a terrible week. The last 14 years have been horrendous,” said Allen O’Connell, 28, with his three-year-old daughter Millie, standing beneath the Gallowgate stand on Thursday.

“As fans there’s not a lot we can do about the human rights stuff,” said Loraine. “We’re all wearing clothes borne out of sweatshops in countries with human rights issues. The moral compass is always a strange one in times like this. As fans, especially as downtrodden as ours, you’ve got to be allowed to enjoy a bit of hope, and that’s the priority today, not about human rights issues. Hope for the club, hope for the area.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/07/newcastle-takeover-excites-fans-hope-for-the-club-hope-for-the-area

In what universe are Newcastle fans downtrodden? 

I’d class newcastle as a fairly big team. I base this off the fact that they have the infrastructure in place, the fan base, their fan base also has potential to grow if they become successful and got a decent history

13 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I’d class newcastle as a fairly big team. I base this off the fact that they have the infrastructure in place, the fan base, their fan base also has potential to grow if they become successful and got a decent history

See the source image

It would be interesting to see who P & Bers rated as the biggest clubs in england after the obvious choices, we already had the ''why are spurs part of the ''big 6 ESL'' nonsense, to this current why are Newcastle seen as a big team?, They've won less and play in front of a smaller home crowd, but Leeds are a bigger club than Newcastle imo.

Of course they are, in the top 7 or 8 supported clubs in England easily, if that's what you gauge it on, and that's with limited success compared to the other 'big' clubs.

But it depends if you go for the Dundee/Hibs/hearts/ Aberdeen assessment of 'big', I.e won trophies decades ago and used to get big crowds, or the St Johnstone one of constant recent success.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Of course they are, in the top 7 or 8 supported clubs in England easily, if that's what you gauge it on, and that's with limited success compared to the other 'big' clubs.

But it depends if you go for the Dundee/Hibs/hearts/ Aberdeen assessment of 'big', I.e won trophies decades ago and used to get big crowds, or the St Johnstone one of constant recent success.

Ah bollocks Neville man.

204486583_jimmynail.jpg.ac9c3d14837476883ae96199211218bb.jpg

I think the North East used to be the hotbed of English football, so many great English players came from there and managers.

I don't think it's as true now.  There are two players in the current England squad from the North East, Jordan Pickford and Jordan Henderson.  Who was the last really good player to come from the North East - Michael Carrick?  Even if you go back to previous England squads, Italia 90 had Gazza, Beardsley, Waddle, Robson etc.  

English Roll of Honour:-

IMG_1262.thumb.PNG.f1023242b8e805ac8a8ac9fca926dee2.PNG

All-time average attendance:-

IMG_1263.thumb.PNG.61e7af775f6af10382b9fbc0a0f1f1ed.PNG

Last full season pre-lockdown average attendances:-

IMG_1264.thumb.PNG.c4143ec478bf31c7bf0047d44298c6d5.PNG

9th in the all time honours list, 5th in the all-time average attendance list, and 7th best supported currently.

Folk can slag them for the 'we deserve better' nonsense, but you can't realistically argue they're not one of the bigger clubs down south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Investment_Fund

Honest Saudi Government has nothing to do with PIF.

Mr Bone Saw is the bloody Chairman.

In July 2014, the Council of Ministers granted the PIF authority to fund new companies inside and outside the Kingdom, either independently or in cooperation with the public and private sectors, without the council's prior approval.[6] In March 2015, oversight of PIF was moved from the Ministry of Finance to the Council of Economic and Development Affairs (CEDA). As part of this process, a new PIF was appointed, chaired by Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud.

In March 2019, it was revealed that PIF paid a New York communications firm, Karv Communications, $120,000-a-month in order to repair the Saudis diplomatic damaged reputation after the Assassination of Jamal Khashoggi.

To an old codger like me, I am genuinely appalled by the reaction to The Saudi state buying Newcastle. The game is well and truly bust. Celebrating the takeover on the streets by idiots. Supporting football clubs is  about local identity in the main. That is why I have never understood so called Man Utd supporters from London or Rangers/ Celtic fans from Inverness etc. These Newcastle fans celebrating this vile takeover must realise that they will soon be priced out of the club they love and be replaced by wealthy tourist fans, just like Man Utd, Chelsea etc. I honestly believe that if St Mirren we’re bought over by billionaire owners, I would probably lose interest in them. 

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think the North East used to be the hotbed of English football, so many great English players came from there and managers.

I don't think it's as true now.  There are two players in the current England squad from the North East, Jordan Pickford and Jordan Henderson.  Who was the last really good player to come from the North East - Michael Carrick?  Even if you go back to previous England squads, Italia 90 had Gazza, Beardsley, Waddle, Robson etc.  

Tubby Brewster was a decent player in his day

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

To an old codger like me, I am genuinely appalled by the reaction to The Saudi state buying Newcastle. The game is well and truly bust. Celebrating the takeover on the streets by idiots. Supporting football clubs is  about local identity in the main. That is why I have never understood so called Man Utd supporters from London or Rangers/ Celtic fans from Inverness etc. These Newcastle fans celebrating this vile takeover must realise that they will soon be priced out of the club they love and be replaced by wealthy tourist fans, just like Man Utd, Chelsea etc. I honestly believe that if St Mirren we’re bought over by billionaire owners, I would probably lose interest in them. 

local identity ? you sound much older than an ''old codger'', you sound more like an old codger's da.

QTAuGfi.gif

It would be interesting to see who P & Bers rated as the biggest clubs in england after the obvious choices, we already had the ''why are spurs part of the ''big 6 ESL'' nonsense, to this current why are Newcastle seen as a big team?, They've won less and play in front of a smaller home crowd, but Leeds are a bigger club than Newcastle imo.

I’d also class leeds as a big team. There are various attributes which come into the discussion but not all teams will meet them. Man City wil be a big team in terms of quality etc but their support is rotten. Newcastle could be like Man City but better due to the increased support (ignoring the fact their new owners are ten times as rich)