English Premier League 2021/22 Season

On 11/04/2022 at 03:24, Satoshi said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-city-liverpool-plane-banner-26680990 

I had forgotten about the White Lives Matter Burnley banner....And then the booring when a player broke fast during Ramadan...

Britain was already a minority during the match, with less than 1/3 of the starting players British, 0% of the managers and 0% of the owners.

Still, a minority of idiots show yet again that no matter how globalised the game (and the world) gets they want to drag it back into the past. Brexit has only emboldened these types unfortunately.

What a load of ignorant nonsense! The British owned clubs are Brighton, Norwich, Tottenham and West Ham. Mike Ashley owned Newcastle at the time of the Burnley banner. 

Half the EPL managers were British two years ago - Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Roy Hodgson, Eddie Howe, Frank Lampard, David Moyes, Graham Potter, Brendan Rodgers, Dean Smith, and Chris Wilder.

Of that list, only Bruce and Wilder were not EPL managers during the City-Liverpool game. ETA - Dyche, sadly, has now gone too.

So the real idiot is you.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Well, It won’t be Steve Bruce, but I do wonder if they’ve lined up Allardyce.

That was my immediate thought. Who else would take a short-term job? It was a surprise when Hodgson took over at Watford.

With Dyche's coaching team going too, it's possible that someone has been lined up.

Burnley couldn't afford Rafa Benitez and his big management team. How about Nuno Espirito Santo ?

48 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

What a load of ignorant nonsense! The British owned clubs are Brighton, Norwich, Tottenham and West Ham. Mike Ashley owned Newcastle at the time of the Burnley banner. 

Half the EPL managers were British two years ago - Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Roy Hodgson, Eddie Howe, Frank Lampard, David Moyes, Graham Potter, Brendan Rodgers, Dean Smith, and Chris Wilder.

Of that list, only Bruce and Wilder were not EPL managers during the City-Liverpool game. ETA - Dyche, sadly, has now gone too.

So the real idiot is you.

How many of those you named took part in the game at the Etihad?

Burnley are the most "Sam Allardyce" club ever. I'll be shocked if they don't appoint him.

Dyche will end up at some other bottom half dross next season when they get in a bit of trouble. Probably Fulham once they come back up but are inevitably shite.

On 11/04/2022 at 03:24, Satoshi said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-city-liverpool-plane-banner-26680990 

I had forgotten about the White Lives Matter Burnley banner....And then the booring when a player broke fast during Ramadan...

Britain was already a minority during the match, with less than 1/3 of the starting players British, 0% of the managers and 0% of the owners.

Still, a minority of idiots show yet again that no matter how globalised the game (and the world) gets they want to drag it back into the past. Brexit has only emboldened these types unfortunately.

38 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Totally irrelevant, numpty. 😂

I rebutted Satoshi claim that there were no British owners or managers in the EPL.

Oh, Bishy ☹️

Anyway, Dyche would have been about the last manager most would expect to be sacked. Looked like a job for life.

If they go down he’d probably have been best placed to bring them back up. Could be a very short-sighted decision.

I can remember Burnley being a game away from relegation to the Conference in 1987, playing down in a crumbling, run-down dump of a stadium. Memories are short. They're a big big club historically; their survival made the 6 O'clock news that day.

Sean Dyche comes across as a bit of knob (his weird drivel in post match interviews about top 3 clubs being "market leaders") but there's no denying he and Burnley have defied gravity for a long, long time. Chris Wood wasn't replaced well and results have been poor all season. So, it may seem harsh from the outside but most other managers with this kind of record this season would have been away long ago.

Nuno Espirito Santo would be a very good shout for them but with only eight games left it's a big risk for him personally after his profile was damaged badly at Tottenham. Would expect a new man to be in place early next week.

Edited: Michael Carrick & David Unsworth listed amongst frontrunners for the job alongside more predictable shouts for Fireman Sam & Nuno. Cheltenham boss (and ex Burnley legend) Michael Duff mentioned fondly by supporters but not a serious contender. Slaven Bilić "interested"

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

37 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I can remember Burnley being a game away from relegation to the Conference in 1987, playing down in a crumbling, run-down dump of a stadium. Memories are short. They're a big big club historically; their survival made the 6 O'clock news that day.

Sean Dyche comes across as a bit of knob (his weird drivel in post match interviews about top 3 clubs being "market leaders") but there's no denying he and Burnley have defied gravity for a long, long time. Chris Wood wasn't replaced well and results have been poor all season. So, it may seem harsh from the outside but most other managers with this kind of record this season would have been away long ago.

Nuno Espirito Santo would be a very good shout for them but with only eight games left it's a big risk for him personally after his profile was damaged badly at Tottenham. Would expect a new man to be in place early next week.

Edited: Michael Carrick & David Unsworth listed amongst frontrunners for the job alongside more predictable shouts for Fireman Sam & Nuno. Cheltenham boss (and ex Burnley legend) Michael Duff mentioned fondly by supporters but not a serious contender. Slaven Bilić "interested"

As an aside, in 1988 Luton town won the League Cup, and they've been relegated to the Conference since.

Burnley's last major honour was 62 years ago.

It could be argued that Huddersfield Town are a bigger club, having won the league title 3 times in a row and the FA Cup once. Although all those honours were nearly 100 years ago.

I wouldn't class Burnley as a big, big club, they are certainly an historic football league club, but so are PNE, Notts County and Blackburn Rovers (who have won the title more recently than Burnley).

But I suppose it's just opinions.

I also remember Burnley being 1 game away from relegation from the football league, and was pleased to see them return to the top flight - and stay there - as I long thought their days as a top flight team were long gone, but a big, big club? Not for me.

4 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Anyway, Dyche would have been about the last manager most would expect to be sacked. Looked like a job for life.

If they go down he’d probably have been best placed to bring them back up. Could be a very short-sighted decision.

Let's hope so!