English Premier League 2021/22 Season

9 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Martinelli was stupid. Obviously the ref was thinking i will go back and retrospectively give a yellow for the push. Then he committed an offence right at the back of it, which was also worthy of a yellow card. To give yellows for both, it was harsh. But probably by the letter of the law, the right decision. Their disciplinary record under Arteta has been brutal.

Yeah, both challenges were clear yellows so he can’t complain really and it wasn’t wrong. I just thought it was a bit harsh as if you get the first yellow, you probably don’t make that second challenge, which is I guess the point of it being a caution - I.e to be a warning about behaviour on the pitch. 

Leicester's drop off back to being an utter jobber club has taken longer than expected.  I thought they would be back to being relegation dangers only a couple of years after winning the league when all their best players (apart from Vardy) left.  I guess it shows how much having Vardy still in the team can keep you fairly elevated.

They look utterly lost without him being able to stretch defences and relieving pressure.  I suspect they'll struggle big time when he retires in a year or so.

Leicester's drop off back to being an utter jobber club has taken longer than expected.  I thought they would be back to being relegation dangers only a couple of years after winning the league when all their best players (apart from Vardy) left.  I guess it shows how much having Vardy still in the team can keep you fairly elevated.
They look utterly lost without him being able to stretch defences and relieving pressure.  I suspect they'll struggle big time when he retires in a year or so.
This is an odd take

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

This is an odd take

What's odd about it?  Everything I've said is what has happened/does happen.

What's odd about it?  Everything I've said is what has happened/does happen.
They won the league six years ago and already had the big drop-off you spoke about. Since then, Shakespeare, Puel and now Rodgers have taken charge and the side is completely rebuilt to become better than it was when they won the league. Losing Kante was a blow but Ndidi was an excellent, albeit different replacement (I think he might have dropped off a bit now but I've not seen much of Leicester this season) and Mahrez hasn't really been replaced.

However, Fofana's better than their centre-backs in 2016, Chilwell was better than Fuchs, Pereira and Justin both better than their 2016 right-backs, Tielemans better than Drinkwater, Barnes better than Albrighton and Iheanacho is probably better than Okazaki. This isn't a drop-off from 15/16, this is a drop-off from 19/20 and 20/21.

11 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The 2 yellows at once situation was clarified by IFAB a while back that the ref is entitled to do so.

Likely only happens over 2 separate incidents.  Your not going to have players given 2 yellows for taking their shirt off and going into the crowd for example. 

Yes it's incredibly unusual for the ref to play advantage after a yellow card challenge and the offender to get into a position to be booked again, but that's absolutely what happened. Great refereeing from Oliver.

Btw I just noticed Michael Oliver is only 36, he seems to have been around for years!

On 10/02/2022 at 22:34, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Maddison would do well to go out on loan imo. Maybe to the NE of Scotland (not Peterhead or Cove Rangers though).

He could be the signing that wins Montrose the league. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

They've had VAR for near enough 2 years down there and the commentators still can't wrap their heads around the delayed offside flags. Absolutely perplexed every time it happens, when it's blatantly obvious why they do it.  

Also i know ranting about commentators is a bit Calling Cards of Morons™ but i'm constantly puzzled by BT's selection. There are folk making decisions at BT who genuinely think Martin Keown is a good co-commentator and someone folk want to listen to.

Edited by Fratelli