English Premier League 2021/22 Season

53 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

At 22 years old Mourinho created the Managers Player of the year award to give it to McTominay.

At 22 years old Kante was playing in the French third division, eagerly awaiting his big move to the French second division.

Those writing McTominay off are absolutely mad, he has been a regular for the last two Man Utd managers. And he is a limited player technically but he's outstanding physically and has an excellent work ethic - that will get a lot further than being someone like Ravel Morrison.

The comparison I made is that he's actually someone a bit like Massimo Ambrosini - there will always be a place for people like McTomiany at top clubs. In the extremely unlikely event he leaves (I'll bet money he won't) for me it's more likely he'll follow the Tammy Abraham route to the likes of Roma than to go to Everton or Aston Villa.

“Those” ? I can only this Meldrew clown writing off McTominay. 

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

At 22 years old Mourinho created the Managers Player of the year award to give it to McTominay.

At 22 years old Kante was playing in the French third division, eagerly awaiting his big move to the French second division.

Those writing McTominay off are absolutely mad, he has been a regular for the last two Man Utd managers. And he is a limited player technically but he's outstanding physically and has an excellent work ethic - that will get a lot further than being someone like Ravel Morrison.

The comparison I made is that he's actually someone a bit like Massimo Ambrosini - there will always be a place for people like McTomiany at top clubs. In the extremely unlikely event he leaves (I'll bet money he won't) for me it's more likely he'll follow the Tammy Abraham route to the likes of Roma than to go to Everton or Aston Villa.

No wonder he got fired a few months later.

On 22/11/2021 at 01:19, 8MileBU said:

It’s only up front that they’re fairly well equipped. 

And even then they’re heavily reliant on a 34 year old and a 36 year old who could easily f**k off at the end of the season.

1190812758_tenor(2).gif.ea255b912670b006cd27dc76a5838032.gif

The absolute fucking state this place has got itself into because i told the truth about a guy from Lancaster,

imagine if he'd decided to play for the country of his birth  ? He wouldnt be near the England side, but if by chance he got a call up, don't pretend you wouldnt laugh at the apparent state of the ''3 lions''

8 hours ago, Meldrew said:

Here ? In the English Premier League thread ? i'm here to discuss things that happens in the greatest league in the world, not once have i posted in any of your tinpot shit threads for morton, st mirren, motherwell and such like.

My Team: Forth Wanderers 😂

You're a moron. Sit the f**k down.

There's actually not much doubt that McTominay would have been a regular for England. The play a double pivot and it's one of their weakest areas (Phillips was capped as a championship player).

Tom Cleverly had more midfield competition, and never made more than 22 league appearances for Man Utd (McTomiany has done twice and well on course for three in a row) and even Cleverly got 13 caps (all in the space of two years).

Anyone who thinks McTomiany wouldn't have racked up a number of caps in that England team in the last few years is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Would the perception of him on this forum be different? Yes, because he wouldn't be a Scotland player but the fundamentals wouldn't really change. He has performed no where near as badly as Shaw, AWB or Maguire (three big transfers on much higher wages). Successive managers have trusted him more than much higher profile players like Van de Beek or Pogba.

He's actually quite a good player and players like him always have a place within top clubs both in the UK and in Europe.

A deliberate troll will attack him and say Bruce is a better manager than Moyes. Looks a cert to be a self hating Scot. What a sad life.

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Here, on Pie and Bovril. You do realise there are myriad places on the Internet dedicated to the English Premier League where you wouldn't needlessly antagonise the other posters.

It's like signing up to Mumsnet, posting solely in the thread about prams and prattling on about only caring for quality design and not giving a single f**k about children.

Have a greenie for using myriad properly.

Not wanting to change jobs mid season seems to be a new trend amongst managers. Must be related to their project at the football club. 

I’d say that Declan Rice and Jordan Henderson are both definitely better than McTominay. But, beyond that, you’re looking at Kalvin Philips, James Ward-Prowse and Harry Winks getting caps in the last few years - the idea that McTominay is considerably worse than any of them is laughable.

Edit: it’s not that long ago they were playing Eric Dier in centre midfield for f**k sake - Scott McTominay would absolutely have caps for England. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d say that Declan Rice and Jordan Henderson are both definitely better than McTominay. But, beyond that, you’re looking at Kalvin Philips, James Ward-Prowse and Harry Winks getting caps in the last few years - the idea that McTominay is considerably worse than any of them is laughable.

Edit: it’s not that long ago they were playing Eric Dier in centre midfield for f**k sake - Scott McTominay would absolutely have caps for England. 

Correct, but it was around McTominays current age Livrerpool were trying to punt Henderson to Fulham.

Important to emphasize, the only player who is a regular for Man Utd / Man City / Liverpool /Chelsea and not in the England squad / getting regular caps is Awb. A special case given that they have lots of great right backs, and he is clearly the worst. Every other time any of those clubs have a regular caps inevitably follow. Getting into the England squad isn't that hard, they aren't that good and their squad depth doesn't compare to the likes of Spain or France.

Even Rice has only really overtaken McTominay this season, before that they were fairly even in many respects.

As mentioned above, Harry Winks - a clearly inferior player in a much worse team managed 10 caps. Ben White, after a fairly average season with Brighton (him and Ramsdale were certainly not signed because they have great seasons) got in ahead of JWP because he was versatile and could play defence or midfield. It's an absolute certainty McTominay would be in the squad and get regular caps. Perhaps not first choice. He wouldn't even make my first 11 for Scotland just now (he actually suits Englands system better than he suits ours).

Another point to note - Douglas Luiz gets regular game time for Brazil. McTominay wouldn't just make the England squad, there really isn't many international squads he wouldn't make (Italy, France and Spain spring to mind as they have many brillaint midfielders - but there aren't many others).

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Having Ronaldo up front with Kane definitely shortens the Three Lions' odds for Qatar.

I was referring to the English players (or English elligable players) who were regulars for those teams.

The only precedent for a regular to not be playing at all is Awb and his circumstances and competion are drastically different to those of McTominay.

Also weird seeing a Mc or Mac representing England, McMamanam springs to mind immediatley but I'm sure there are many others.