English Premier League 2021/22 Season

Just had a look at Maguire's wiki. The genuine facts make him look like a  superb player...player of the season at every club he's been at before United, each transfer a move up, Man United Captain, first choice England international, in 2020 Euro Championships Team of the Tournament...yet all most folk see is a lumbering donkey with a head like a 20p piece. It's remarkable what people in the game see in him that fans mainly don't.

22 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

They have some good attacking players like Bruno Fernandes, Ronaldo, Sahcho etc... but the squad has no balance.  Defensively garbage and without a really good defensive midfielder (no offence to McTominay but he's not at the same level as the likes of Kante, Fabinho etc..).  Even with Maguire and Shaw in the team, they should be much more competitive 

A top class CDM would allow them to play more attacking players too. Both Ole and Southgate don't / didn't trust Maguire hence both playing two in front of the defence to help them. Replacing McFred with one player would allow them to actually make use of those attacking players. 

33 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

This could explain a lot, especially the hatred for the ex-Celt Moyes.

that has no bearing on anything, i have no love for anything or anyone in scottish league football, moyes's da was a big ***, makes zero difference to me, the bottom line is McTominay is shite, but the burning desire to jump to his defence by the ''wha's like us'' shortbread tin crowd is hilarious

OIP.qxp_jnwOoEJGQe4ll_9ZBwHaHa?pid=ImgDe

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

A top class CDM would allow them to play more attacking players too. Both Ole and Southgate don't / didn't trust Maguire hence both playing two in front of the defence to help them. Replacing McFred with one player would allow them to actually make use of those attacking players. 

Spot on, not enough managers understand the value of a top class CDM.  Look at how Liverpool struggled last year when they had Fabinho as a CB, they are so much better with him in the team and it's no shock that N'Golo Kante makes every team he plays for better

36 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Just had a look at Maguire's wiki. The genuine facts make him look like a  superb player...player of the season at every club he's been at before United, each transfer a move up, Man United Captain, first choice England international, in 2020 Euro Championships Team of the Tournament...yet all most folk see is a lumbering donkey with a head like a 20p piece. It's remarkable what people in the game see in him that fans mainly don't.

Weren't his stats last year genuinely really good? It doesn't help his case that he's heavy ugly and looks as gormless as he does. Maybe he's had a couple of purple patches and he's just flattered to deceive on occasion. He has been really bad in multiple games and comes across thick as mince.

McTominay is a good player, but I have my doubts about whether he is able to reach the levels required to help take Man United to where they presumably want to be in the medium to longer term. He is in good company within that current squad, though.

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

Many people look at him compared to van Dijk at Liverpool though, and even when he's playing well, he's half the player van Dijk is. But Man U paid more for him.

14 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Scott McTominay is not a world class CDM, however he is the best one Man Utd have.  He's probably more at the Everton/Aston Villa/Tottenham level than at the level of a Premier League contender but he's still a good player

He isn’t a defensive midfielder though. I don’t think anyone actually knows what his best role is. Whatever he’s asked to do at Man United isn’t it.

3 hours ago, Meldrew said:

that has no bearing on anything, i have no love for anything or anyone in scottish league football, moyes's da was a big ***, makes zero difference to me, the bottom line is McTominay is shite, but the burning desire to jump to his defence by the ''wha's like us'' shortbread tin crowd is hilarious

OIP.qxp_jnwOoEJGQe4ll_9ZBwHaHa?pid=ImgDe

What a slobbering buffoon.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

So why are you still here you tedious bore?

Here ? In the English Premier League thread ? i'm here to discuss things that happens in the greatest league in the world, not once have i posted in any of your tinpot shit threads for morton, st mirren, motherwell and such like.

Here ? In the English Premier League thread ? i'm here to discuss things that happens in the greatest league in the world, not once have i posted in any of your tinpot shit threads for morton, st mirren, motherwell and such like.
Here, on Pie and Bovril. You do realise there are myriad places on the Internet dedicated to the English Premier League where you wouldn't needlessly antagonise the other posters.

It's like signing up to Mumsnet, posting solely in the thread about prams and prattling on about only caring for quality design and not giving a single f**k about children.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

David Moyes has a long history of turning mediocre teams into good teams, case in point West Ham last year, and Everton in 2004-05.  Steve Bruce is a decent championship calibre manager who is only really good at matching low expectations, Moyes regularly exceeds expectations.  

Seems perfect for the Man U job then.

At 22 years old Mourinho created the Managers Player of the year award to give it to McTominay.

At 22 years old Kante was playing in the French third division, eagerly awaiting his big move to the French second division.

Those writing McTominay off are absolutely mad, he has been a regular for the last two Man Utd managers. And he is a limited player technically but he's outstanding physically and has an excellent work ethic - that will get a lot further than being someone like Ravel Morrison.

The comparison I made is that he's actually someone a bit like Massimo Ambrosini - there will always be a place for people like McTomiany at top clubs. In the extremely unlikely event he leaves (I'll bet money he won't) for me it's more likely he'll follow the Tammy Abraham route to the likes of Roma than to go to Everton or Aston Villa.