English Premier League 2021/22 Season

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tbf it’s hardly a new thing up here. I seen a stat last week that said since 1890 they’ve won over 85% of the top league titles between them. I’d be surprised if another league anywhere in the world can match that or even come close. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Primera_División

Uruguay's breakdown of champions is very similar to ours. Two completely dominant teams, then three clubs on 4 titles, followed by a handful of clubs with fewer than that - just like in Scotland.

Edited by Nightmare

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Take a look at the final Scottish Premiership table. Third best team in the country were Hearts, and they were a zillion points behind, and they were the only ‘non Old Firm’ team to even manage a positive GD. Aside from Liverpool and Man City, England has multiple clubs playing to 50,000ish crowds. It is not entirely unfeasible that Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United, and a cash rich Newcastle could challenge. What about Chelsea? It is not entirely unreasonable to suggest that with a fair wind, some shrewd signings, and home gates of 55,000, West Ham could certainly challenge. The two huge Glasgow clubs up here are now so far ahead they have disappeared, absolutely disappeared out of sight.

6 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tbf it’s hardly a new thing up here. I seen a stat last week that said since 1890 they’ve won over 85% of the top league titles between them. I’d be surprised if another league anywhere in the world can match that or even come close. 

Funnily enough,  Uruguay and Portugal were what came to mind when I saw this but I can see they have already been posted.

A small number of teams dominating is common in pretty much every league.

What distinguishes Scotland is that it's by far away the most successful league of its size (and the most successful under 10 million people). And that's by pretty much any metric from proportional attendance to European honours. Pound for pound nobody does it better.

Ended up finishing second in fantasy football three mini leagues but c'est la vie. Spontaneously woke up at 1:30am to check it though 😅

Will watch match of the day when I get home.

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Serbia ? Croatia ? Ukraine ?

Turkey spread over 3 teams but has only had 6 different winners, 2 only winning it once. Greece isn't much better. 

The notion that Scotland is the only country where a couple of teams dominate is utter pish.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Some cereal winners there.

Couldn't figure out the other 2, knew one of them was Blackburn Rovers, but ultimately had to look them up - it was Leicester City, a whole 6 seasons ago...

15 hours ago, Aufc said:

I honestly despise Man City. Well I don’t mind the club. However, you can tell that most of the fans were not interested in them before they had money

15 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Think that's a wee bit harsh. 30,000 to a third tier play off at the end of the 90s- that sliding door moment against Gillingham, suggests a longstanding and very loyal fanbase.

I suppose the question is how that late 90s fanbase has changed since City lost their general reputation from back then, as a badly managed clowncar of a club.

I used to work with a Citeh fan at that time and he would spend most weekends travelling from Glasgow with his son  to to meet up with his brother and pals at some obscure lower league venue. I lost touch when he moved back to Manchester but I really hope he is able to enjoy this.

Just back from the hospital there.

I don't remember it, but I must have spewed my ring then fainted after City got their third. My mum came into the basement to see me keeled over, my jammies absolutely caked in sick.

Apparently excitement can do that to you. I was on a drip all night but am right as rain now.

Honestly one of the greatest days of my life yesterday, shame I couldn't see it through to the end, though

Aye but most of the other big teams have generally always been successful and well supported. Man City were shit until they got money.

Utter bollocks which the fact that City hold the English domestic attendance record proves.

Embarrassingly for the red scum their attendance record is at Maine Road as well so two of the three top English club attendance records were set at Maine Road.

Jelly and ice cream at the ready?

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/sue-nigh-elizabeth-line-open-24-hours-to-save-chelsea/

"24 HOURS TO SAVE CHELSEA: There are major developments in the footballing world today as the U.K. government warns that if a deal to sell Chelsea is not closed imminently then the club may be barred from the Premier League next season. The government is due to approve the £4 billion sale to a consortium led by American investor Todd Boehly, but a senior Whitehall insider briefs the FT’s George Parker it “still has major hurdles to overcome” as Portuguese authorities also have to approved the deal due to current owner Roman Abramovich’s citizenship in that country. The U.K. government is now in intense discussion with Portugal and the European Commission to provide them the assurances they need to licence the deal.

One government source struck a very somber tone: “It’s transfer deadline day for Chelsea and I’m seriously worried about the outcome. If the deal doesn’t get final sign off today, the sale probably can’t happen in time — that could mean Chelsea out of the league. Even if HMG grants the licence today, it’s not clear that Portugal will do the same. It’s going to come down to the wire, and unless something changes I’m not optimistic.”

Edited by Bully Wee Villa