English Premier League 2021/22 Season

If Man United think Ten Haag can succeed with the squad they have now, they are very much mistaken.  Ten Haag needs to be given the opportunity to build a side to suit his playing style, so he will need some transfer funds.  He MAY be able to recoup some money by offloading some players, but I don't know how much you could get in the transfer market for some of those guys

The trouble with the new manager is that from the second he walks into the club, he has the burden of the last decade to contend with. Owners have spunked a billion quid or so on dross players, and he'll need even more money from them.

No title since 2013, and there will be (from some quarters) an expectation that they will "challenge for the title" within a year or two. Hell, Jurgen Klopp took 4 years to win his title. No way Man u would stick with someone that long. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The trouble with the new manager is that from the second he walks into the club, he has the burden of the last decade to contend with. Owners have spunked a billion quid or so on dross players, and he'll need even more money from them.

No title since 2013, and there will be (from some quarters) an expectation that they will "challenge for the title" within a year or two. Hell, Jurgen Klopp took 4 years to win his title. No way Man u would stick with someone that long. 

Solskjaer got nearly 3 years and he was considered a joke figure for most of that. I have my doubts about Ten Hag, but if he can show signs of incremental improvement year-on-year then he most likely will get given time to get it right. Things can change very quickly too - United may not have title winning players at the moment, but they have lots of guys at the club who could easily be part of a title winning squad if the right additions are brought in to play alongside them.

Look at the squad that Ferguson won the title with in his last season - it's hardly a sterling group of players. The likes of Rafael, Jonny Evans, Tom Cleverley and Shinji Kagawa all started 15+ league games that season.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I think you're right. I don't see them having the patience. Klopp is a good example though, because that's the sort of time frame they'll be looking at before they can realistically be challenging for a title. If Ten Hag can show tangible signs of progress each year he should be given the time required, but in reality he'll probably get sacked after they finish 5th or 6th next season. 

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Burnley have been decent. Southampton are strange, they are sometimes brilliant and then some games, like tonight, they are dreadful.

This would definitely be a fixture that Burnley would've looked at and fancied themselves. Southampton can certainly be a soft touch at times. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:
Bye bye Everton.

Could be a big swing in points with the next 2 games - Everton have Liverpool and Chelsea while Burnley face Wolves and Watford.

Aye Everton’s run in is a tough one. Still Leicester and arseholes to play as well. 

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
12 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:
Bye bye Everton.

Could be a big swing in points with the next 2 games - Everton have Liverpool and Chelsea while Burnley face Wolves and Watford.

Aye, could be curtains on Everton's top flight status.

Losing at Turf Moor and only drawing with Leicester is going to prove crucial in the final analysis.

15 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think you're right. I don't see them having the patience. Klopp is a good example though, because that's the sort of time frame they'll be looking at before they can realistically be challenging for a title. If Ten Hag can show tangible signs of progress each year he should be given the time required, but in reality he'll probably get sacked after they finish 5th or 6th next season. 

I think he might be afforded a bit of time from the owners/ board due to them making sure he's being touted as a player developer. I've no knowledge as to how good he is on that front but he's got Haller and Tadic playing well so you'd have to think that with the players that are already at Old Trafford that he can get some of them back on form. Some of the players just won't want to put in that effort so are likely to be shown the door but they must be hoping he can emulate Conte at Spurs in getting a tune out the players that are there (to a limited extent) and changing others over a few windows. Given the expected clear out needed i think Man U fans should maybe not be surprised if it gets worse before it gets better - whether they can handle that is another thing...