English Premier League 2021/22 Season

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Looks like Halaand is signing for Manchester City. 

Yeah, interesting article by Balague on the BBC.

Basically saying that Haaland would prefer to go to La Liga, but Man Citys pitch is come to us for a few years then do Real Madrid / Barcelona.

The only reason he isn't doing it now is that Mbappe is going to Real this year (and Benzema still a top player) and Barcelona rebuilding.

He might stay at Dortmund for a year in which case he will definitely go to La Liga.

Pretty brutal the EPLs top team is still only viewed as a stop gap, testimony to the enduring appeal of Real and Barca I guess. Might be many decades before any other team has their pulling power.

If true, I'm surprised at City actually offering the stop gap option. Maybe it's the only way to get him there over Real.

Given he's a few months short of 22, I thought a move to his Dad's old club, earn tens of millions to sign, play under Pep, win some trophies then leave at the end of the contract to go to Real and do it all again when he'd still only be 26/27 would be a bit of an obvious one. Alf and Raiola also get even more millions with Dad getting to f**k United over twice an obvious additional benefit. While being at the Bernabeu for 10 years would appeal I expect 5 years with an extra £50 million in his Post Office account wouldn't be too bad a secondary option. 

12 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

If true, I'm surprised at City actually offering the stop gap option. Maybe it's the only way to get him there over Real.

Given he's a few months short of 22, I thought a move to his Dad's old club, earn tens of millions to sign, play under Pep, win some trophies then leave at the end of the contract to go to Real and do it all again when he'd still only be 26/27 would be a bit of an obvious one. Alf and Raiola also get even more millions with Dad getting to f**k United over twice an obvious additional benefit. While being at the Bernabeu for 10 years would appeal I expect 5 years with an extra £50 million in his Post Office account wouldn't be too bad a secondary option. 

I don't disagree, but it's likely Madrid appeals to him more as a place to live than North West England. Playing with Mbappe might appeal too (or might not if he has to play second fiddle).

And in Real Madrid you have the biggest and more successful club in the world, Man City have never the UCL or its predecessors. Nouveau riche Vs old money I guess.

I don't imagine his dad has much influence, and there's no doubt his dad would rather play for Man City!

It's an imperfect comparison, but as good as Silva, Aguero or Kompany were they will never have the same reputation as Kroos/Modric Benzema or Ramos. Is that because they weren't as good or because they played for a smaller, less glamarous, less successful club? It's probably a bit of both.

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Yeah, interesting article by Balague on the BBC.

Basically saying that Haaland would prefer to go to La Liga, but Man Citys pitch is come to us for a few years then do Real Madrid / Barcelona.

The only reason he isn't doing it now is that Mbappe is going to Real this year (and Benzema still a top player) and Barcelona rebuilding.

He might stay at Dortmund for a year in which case he will definitely go to La Liga.

Pretty brutal the EPLs top team is still only viewed as a stop gap, testimony to the enduring appeal of Real and Barca I guess. Might be many decades before any other team has their pulling power.

I don't think many kids grow up dreaming of playing for Manchester City. I had a sort of similar situation (obviously not on the same planet as the choice Erling Haaland has) where I had to decide between a more prestigious job or a less glamorous job that was maybe smarter in the long term. I was 25, took the more prestigious job and to be honest would make the same choice again even though it didn't really work out as I hoped, it was still a great experience.

You never know if it will come round again so I think you take it when it's there. It's easy to be objective if the decision isn't affecting you.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

I don't disagree, but it's likely Madrid appeals to him more as a place to live than North West England. Playing with Mbappe might appeal too (or might not if he has to play second fiddle).

And in Real Madrid you have the biggest and more successful club in the world, Man City have never the UCL or its predecessors. Nouveau riche Vs old money I guess.

I don't imagine his dad has much influence, and there's no doubt his dad would rather play for Man City!

It's an imperfect comparison, but as good as Silva, Aguero or Kompany were they will never have the same reputation as Kroos/Modric Benzema or Ramos. Is that because they weren't as good or because they played for a smaller, less glamarous, less successful club? It's probably a bit of both.

From what I've picked up from all the online talk, Dad is certainly an influence. 

52 minutes ago, Empty It said:

This was my thinking where would you rather live Manchester, Liverpool or Madrid...

It'd probably be leafy Cheshire amongst all the other multi-millionaire footballers. Would you rather live there on £500k a week for a few years or in Madrid for £300k? Bank balance > anything these days. 

18 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

From what I've picked up from all the online talk, Dad is certainly an influence. 

It'd probably be leafy Cheshire amongst all the other multi-millionaire footballers. Would you rather live there on £500k a week for a few years or in Madrid for £300k? Bank balance > anything these days. 

Sorry, I worded that wrongly. I'm sure his dad does have influence, but won't be too influenced by who he played for. 

I'm sure the dad would have far rather played for Real, not City, if he had the chance!

And I don't agree that City can pay much more or thats it's the biggest factor (if it was Mbappe would be going there too or staying with PSG).  Haalands offers won't hinge on the money (according to Balague and the Athletic anyway). They're probably pretty similar financially.

Cheshire is still NW England, although I concede that means less to Haaland than it would to a southern European or South American.

Hasn’t Haaland missed a big of the past two seasons with injuries? He might be conscious that planning to go to Man City for a couple of years then going to Real, could easily go wrong if he picks up more injuries. I mean, footballers do have factor in that they might end up with early ends to their careers.

I reckon if it’s his ambition to play for Real or Barcelona, he has to just take the opportunity whilst it’s there. 

The money is the same everywhere apparently, so it won't be financial.

City will be offering him hes guaranteed first choice for a side who have a genuine chance at 4 trophies next season, including the Champions League.

Real Madrid can offer the trophies but not the guaranteed first choice bit, due to Benzema.

Barcelona can offer the guaranteed first choice bit but not the trophies, not next season at least.

I think he'll go to City. Batter in 100 goals over 2 seasons, with a league title and potentially a CL, then go to Spain. City are obviously now a big club with big ambitions but I don't think they can chew up a player like the Spanish sides, especially Real Madrid. Hes about to turn 22, so 2/3 years at City then he heads to Madrid as a proven trophy winning 24/25yo about to enter his peak.

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Sorry, I worded that wrongly. I'm sure his dad does have influence, but won't be too influenced by who he played for. 

I'm sure the dad would have far rather played for Real, not City, if he had the chance!

And I don't agree that City can pay much more or thats it's the biggest factor (if it was Mbappe would be going there too or staying with PSG).  Haalands offers won't hinge on the money (according to Balague and the Athletic anyway). They're probably pretty similar financially.

Cheshire is still NW England, although I concede that means less to Haaland than it would to a southern European or South American.

Of the three I'd say that Barcelona would be a more appealing place for someone in their early 20's than Madrid at the moment. Everyone has different tastes of course. Let's not forget probably the most important element of all of this, Raiola. He's not going to settle for one ginormous payday when he can get two. I'd be surprised if Haaland didn't go to City for his next move. 

25 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Just no luck at all for Leeds just now.

Raphinia out with covid. Bamford goes off injured, Llorente goes off injured and Klich goes off with a head knock all in the first half.

Wolves 2 up and coasting. 

And now they've lost Meslier.