English Premier League 2021/22 Season

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Ian Crocker ruining 'the moment' with his shit commentary.

"Bouncing....bouncing to bits" is up there with "this is huge, this is....massive" in terms of spoiling impactful moments with amateurish commentary. I remember listening to Dougie Rae talking about commentary and he had prepared things to say in the event of late goals etc. I think Crocker concentrates too hard on sounding terrifically excited and makes unimportant his duty to provide illustrative or impactful words to accompany the images on screen. Hopefully deep fake technology advances to the degree that we can just get Barry Davies in for all games. 

13 hours ago, velo army said:

"Bouncing....bouncing to bits" is up there with "this is huge, this is....massive" in terms of spoiling impactful moments with amateurish commentary. I remember listening to Dougie Rae talking about commentary and he had prepared things to say in the event of late goals etc. I think Crocker concentrates too hard on sounding terrifically excited and makes unimportant his duty to provide illustrative or impactful words to accompany the images on screen. Hopefully deep fake technology advances to the degree that we can just get Barry Davies in for all games. 

Matterface is the worst for the prepared stuff. Just one reason he's unlistenable. Not a fan of Barrie Davies either. He set the bar for the likes of Green and Pearce and their 'how dare you send me, ME, to cover a game like this' arrogance.

Whenever possible I deliberately watch foreign channels on VIPRow/Hesgoals so that I don't suffer the dire domestic coverage yet still get the game atmosphere. Interestingly though, when I've picked up broadcasts to US, South Africa and Malaysia with some of the commentators and pundits used here they are less obnoxious than normal suggesting they really are told to turn it up to 11 when broadcasting to England. 

21 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Schmeichel must be one of the least likeable people in the prem. Seems like not a great person.

Depends on your definition of great person I guess, but he did run towards a burning helicopter to try and save the people on board, and comforted Christian Eriksen's wife in the aftermath of his collapse.  Plus the clip above where he put the English press in their place.

I think that at least qualifies him as a decent guy.

On 13/03/2022 at 17:51, cameron2000 said:

Schmeichel must be one of the least likeable people in the prem. Seems like not a great person.

Disagree with this. Seems a bit of a random, unfounded remark.

On 13/03/2022 at 17:54, cameron2000 said:

He’s holding Arsenal back from reaching Man City and Liverpool’s level. Lacks athleticism and as the striker he triggers the team press so they can’t sustain pressure anywhere near as much as they will next season when they sign a replacement. Upgrading him and Xhaka plus adding some depth will turn Arsenal into title contenders. Arteta is an elite manager.

Edit: Lacazette is a lot like Firmino but without the physical qualities.

Upgrading Lacazette and Xhaka would likely improve Arsenal but the rest of this post is a rather wild take. 

Lacazette is holding Arsenal back from reaching Man City and Liverpool levels? Along with the rest of the Arsenal squad yeah? 

Arteta is an elite manager? Maybe in a few years time we might be saying this but he’s nowhere near it right now.

Upgrading Lacazette and Xhaka would likely improve Arsenal but the rest of this post is a rather wild take. 
Lacazette is holding Arsenal back from reaching Man City and Liverpool levels? Along with the rest of the Arsenal squad yeah? 
Arteta is an elite manager? Maybe in a few years time we might be saying this but he’s nowhere near it right now.

I’ve never seen some so moany on the pitch as Schmeichel but also watching him regularly he’s always giving officials abuse over obviously correct decisions and he’s the first steal the ball when the opponents want to take a quick corner etc - maybe I’m wrong and he’s nice of the pitch.

Honestly I promise you when Arsenal replace Lacazette with someone more mobile their ability to sustain pressure will increase significantly. It’s always the striker which ‘triggers’ the press in top teams and failure to trigger the pressure forces them back into a low block in order to maintain compactness. They already look like comfortably the 4th best team in the country and that’s with these obvious improvements to be made. Arteta may be in his first job but you just have to look at his system and tactics to understand how good he’s going to be - there’s certain similarities with Pep and a few minor differences. Also I’ve never seen a young manager with such good management too.

This will be largely rubbished/ignored by the media for quite a while as it’s full of Man Utd and Tottenham pundits, both of whom despise Arsenal particularly but also most mainstream pundits in the UK don’t have great tactical knowledge and more selected due to being ex professionals.

Edit: I would emphasise that an 8 and Striker won’t be enough to put Arsenal in contention - they probably need about 2 other reasonable squad players for depth purposes.

Schmeichel definitely comes across as a moaning twat on the pitch. Was delighted to see him on the losing side against teams I was supporting twice in a matter of weeks earlier this season. Entirely possible he's lovely in real life.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

I’ve never seen some so moany on the pitch as Schmeichel but also watching him regularly he’s always giving officials abuse over obviously correct decisions and he’s the first steal the ball when the opponents want to take a quick corner etc - maybe I’m wrong and he’s nice of the pitch.

Honestly I promise you when Arsenal replace Lacazette with someone more mobile their ability to sustain pressure will increase significantly. It’s always the striker which ‘triggers’ the press in top teams and failure to trigger the pressure forces them back into a low block in order to maintain compactness. They already look like comfortably the 4th best team in the country and that’s with these obvious improvements to be made. Arteta may be in his first job but you just have to look at his system and tactics to understand how good he’s going to be - there’s certain similarities with Pep and a few minor differences. Also I’ve never seen a young manager with such good management too.

This will be largely rubbished/ignored by the media for quite a while as it’s full of Man Utd and Tottenham pundits, both of whom despise Arsenal particularly but also most mainstream pundits in the UK don’t have great tactical knowledge and more selected due to being ex professionals.

Edit: I would emphasise that an 8 and Striker won’t be enough to put Arsenal in contention - they probably need about 2 other reasonable squad players for depth purposes.

Sorry but as much as I like Arteta there is a huge gulf between Arsenal and City. Absolutely massive!

Not only is the City starting XI (if there is such a thing) miles ahead in terms of squads there is a huge gulf. 

It will take years for an Arsenal, United, Spurs to close that gap. 

Obviously in a one off game they always have a chance but over a season City and Liverpool will prevail 

On 14/08/2021 at 23:11, DrewDon said:

I might have to delete this post by the end of the season if he does well, but something about Patrick Vieira at Crystal Palace just screams 'sacked by Christmas'.

Shut up, you absolute clown. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Zero subs made in yet another fraudulent display by the poor man's Dougie Imrie. 

Shes.gif.b85a48ee7ba38ab9c355ab478deea034.gif

No idea how Rodri stayed on the full 95 minutes. As poor as I’ve seen him. Obviously Pep has his reasons but from the outside looking in Sterling for Grealish and Gundagon for Rodri were the obvious changes around the 65 minute mark

That said they did create enough chances to win comfortably 

4 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

This 👇

2 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Sorry but as much as I like Arteta there is a huge gulf between Arsenal and City. Absolutely massive!

Not only is the City starting XI (if there is such a thing) miles ahead in terms of squads there is a huge gulf. 

It will take years for an Arsenal, United, Spurs to close that gap. 

Obviously in a one off game they always have a chance but over a season City and Liverpool will prevail 

4 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Bar a few every footballer in the world wants to play in the Premiership. It's  the best league in the world.

Lots of Scottish lads playing in it now

The elite footballers (especially those from Southern Europe / South America) will still consistently prefer to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona though.

Mbappe is a certainty to go to Madrid, be interesting to see where Haaland ends up. If he goes to Spain too, they will have the top three next superstars (including Pedri).

Think for Haaland it will be a straight fight out between Man City and Real Madrid, the former probably in a better place as the latter views Mbappe as the bigger prize.

8 hours ago, AB1872 said:

That said they did create enough chances to win comfortably 

This was always going to be the downfall of City. They can pass wonderfully and create some great chances but with no out and out striker in the squad never mind on the pitch then they're going to rue their profligacy. Haaland, Kane or even Bruce Anderson scores for fun in that City side...they can play all the fancy football they want but when you're relying on midfielders to play up front you're not going to score as many goals as you should. They need a goalscorer and failing to address that is Pep's biggest failure so far

10 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Bar a few every footballer in the world wants to play in the Premiership. It's  the best league in the world.

Lots of Scottish lads playing in it now

Really?  By what measurement?