English Premier League 2021/22 Season

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Every single weekend we are reminded of how shite VAR is. Every single weekend.

It’s only shite because it’s the same shite officials making the calls. 

In principle, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work well.

Jota seems to arc his run towards Guaita when he realises that the angle is probably going to be too tight even if he does manage to keep the ball in. If he had kept his 'natural' run going and Guaita had taken him down, I could understand a penalty being given if the ball was still in play, but not as it actually played out. 

VAR is fine. Officials paid to know the rules, apply them and actually understand the game is the issue.
It’s only shite because it’s the same shite officials making the calls. 
In principle, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work well.
The four match officials didn't give it. The decision was only given because some loser in "Stockley Park" said the ref should have a look after an hour of staring at a TV.

When the pro-VAR arguments always have to say "it's the refs!" then maybe you shouldn't be trusting these officials with another avenue to f**k things up.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

VAR is fine. Officials paid to know the rules, apply them and actually understand the game is the issue.

I disagree tbh. The officials here got it right initially and I think you see that VAR is causing officials to second guess themselves by being asked to go to the monitor and reconsider - it’s almost encouraging them to think they were wrong.

Edited by Jambomo

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The four match officials didn't give it. The decision was only given because some loser in "Stockley Park" said the ref should have a look after an hour of staring at a TV.

When the pro-VAR arguments always have to say "it's the refs!" then maybe you shouldn't be trusting these officials with another avenue to f**k things up.

My understanding is the on field ref makes the final decision. Anything from VAR is advice. It is how it's used and who takes ultimate responsibility that's the issue. It looks like the referee's authority is undermined, and the attitude needs to change, rather than abandon the technology.

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Jota seems to arc his run towards Guaita when he realises that the angle is probably going to be too tight even if he does manage to keep the ball in. If he had kept his 'natural' run going and Guaita had taken him down, I could understand a penalty being given if the ball was still in play, but not as it actually played out. 

Pretty much this, from what I saw, Jota completely whiffs on the chance and then turns towards Guaita and there is a collision.  At the point of contact, the ball is already well out of Jota's reach.  I just don't understand how they gave that. 

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Pretty much this, from what I saw, Jota completely whiffs on the chance and then turns towards Guaita and there is a collision.  At the point of contact, the ball is already well out of Jota's reach.  I just don't understand how they gave that. 

Yep it's yet another absolute howler of a decision. Just dreadful.