English Premier League 2021/22 Season

12 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Perhaps if they didn’t put 100 players out on loan every year they’d have more mentally and physically fit players in their squad to give the poor tired multi-millionaires doing all the work a break from their arduous jobs.

Being a top level professional footballer is incredibly difficult physically and mentally (and like most elite sport will have lifelong implications on your mobility).

They are not robots, and they are the ones who will ultimately pay the price for the amount of football being squeezed into the calendar, combined with the dramatic rise in tempo over the last 10-15 years.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Being a top level professional footballer is incredibly difficult physically and mentally (and like most elite sport will have lifelong implications on your mobility).

They are not robots, and they are the ones who will ultimately pay the price for the amount of football being squeezed into the calendar, combined with the dramatic rise in tempo over the last 10-15 years.

I don't want to all "yer da" and I do understand there are cons to being a top level player, but I think the pros far outweigh them.

Their job is train, play and be fit, they are supported by experts in every field to ensure they can be in the best possible shape.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't want to all "yer da" and I do understand there are cons to being a top level player, but I think the pros far outweigh them.

Their job is train, play and be fit, they are supported by experts in every field to ensure they can be in the best possible shape.

Oh indeed, there isn't many people who have the choice to be a top level player and choose not to do it (although there are guys like Propper, Rose or Ronaldinho who officially or unofficially chuck it quite early on).

For me it's more pronounced in other sports - being a top level athlete is not good for your long term health. The worlds top squash player won't be making much but it seems pretty likely he will have plenty of knee troubles in later life.

In sports like Rugby most of the guys are paid very little to jam their heads beside some giants knee.

Didn't Lee Wilke keep playing with a dodgy knee even when he knew it would severely impact mobility in later life?

Andy Murray doesn't need the money but knows playing after his hip operation will have a negative long term effect.

Being a top athlete is a hard way to make a living, and if the players and managers are speaking out about being fatigued then they should be listened to. I'd be happy to have far fewer games (say 40 club matches a year on average) but sadly money talks.

Edited by Satoshi

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Oh indeed, there isn't many people who have the choice to be a top level player and choose not to do it (although there are guys like Propper, Rose or Ronaldinho who officially or unofficially chuck it quite early on).

For me it's more pronounced in other sports - being a top level athlete is not good for your long term health. The worlds top squash player won't be making much but it seems pretty likely he will have plenty of knee troubles in later life.

In sports like Rugby most of the guys are paid very little to jam their heads beside some giants knee.

Didn't Lee Wilke keep playing with a dodgy knee even when he knew it would severely impact mobility in later life?

Andy Murray doesn't need the money but knows playing after his hip operation will have a long term.

Being a top athlete is a hard way to make a living, and if the players and managers are speaking out about being fatigued then they should be listened to. I'd be happy to have far fewer games (say 40 club matches a year on average) but sadly money talks.

But there are long term consequences in lots of jobs. I've got a sore back that will only get worse from sitting on my arse all day. God help a brickie's labourer.

35 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

But there are long term consequences in lots of jobs. I've got a sore back that will only get worse from sitting on my arse all day. God help a brickie's labourer.

They don't usually live long enough to retire, in my experience.

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

True, most forms of physical labour will come with some long term consequences.

As a desk jockey my primary risks are RSI and vision problems from staring at a screen too long. I'm hoping my (sporadic) use of a standing desk will alleviate the arse sitting concerns to a certain extent.

Where elite athletes differ is that they are pushing their body to the very extremes as part of their jobs. It's the desk jockey equivalent of Goldman Sachs where you work 16 hour days. Both come with long term physical and mental consequences.

So to surmise, mediocrity = good for long term health. 

22 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

"Capitalisation of previous loans" sounds suspiciously like there is no extra money at all, never mind about a £100million "injection".

Yes, it's converting existing loans into shares and thereby diluting the holdings of other shareholders (Kenright?). The club will not have to pay back the loans.

There will be no extra money to invest in the squad unless he puts in (buys new shares) or lends more money. FFP rules may limit his ability to do that.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

16 hours ago, Satoshi said:

True, most forms of physical labour will come with some long term consequences.

As a desk jockey my primary risks are RSI and vision problems from staring at a screen too long. I'm hoping my (sporadic) use of a standing desk will alleviate the arse sitting concerns to a certain extent.

Where elite athletes differ is that they are pushing their body to the very extremes as part of their jobs. It's the desk jockey equivalent of Goldman Sachs where you work 16 hour days. Both come with long term physical and mental consequences.

So to surmise, mediocrity = good for long term health. 

I'm the exception that proves the rule.