English Premier League 2021/22 Season

I don't think it should be though
I don't think it should either.
Can't remember which game it happened in previously, but it was in that game that I found out having one hand on the ball holding it in place on the ground(insert relevant gifs here), counts as having it under control
Motherwell v Hearts in the cup a few years ago? That's how I found out about it.

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm really not convinced Schmeichel had that ball under control there. It looked like it could easily have squirmed from his grasp. 

Same. The only reason we don't know is because the Villa player put it in the net. Which to me means it was not an obvious error by the referee and VAR should not have looked at it.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Same. The only reason we don't know is because the Villa player put it in the net. Which to me means it was not an obvious error by the referee and VAR should not have looked at it.

VAR checks all goals and they can be ruled out (or in) for any error, not just obvious ones. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

VAR checks all goals and they can be ruled out (or in) for any error, not just obvious ones. 

No. VAR is only supposed to check for clear errors.

From the Premier League website.

"VAR is used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity."

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No. VAR is only supposed to check for clear errors.

From the Premier League website.

"VAR is used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity."

You seem to be ignoring the word “or”.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't think it was Serious missed incident either.

If a foul is missed in the build up to a goal, by definition it’s a serious missed incident because it had a direct impact on the game.

NBC are saying only part of the law is being used and it goes on to basically say, and I'm paraphrasing, the stuff being quoted doesn't count after the keeper has made a save and the ball's gone loose. VAR also only showed the play after Schmeichel's initial save so ref didn't see the whole incident. They're yanks so it may be be bollocks.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

If a foul is missed in the build up to a goal, by definition it’s a serious missed incident because it had a direct impact on the game.

I don't think you will be able to back up that assertion.

Show me where "serious missed incident" is defined by the Premier League.

In fact for Subjective decisions, which that was the Premier LEague say this

"For subjective decisions, either the referee informs the VAR that a decision should be reviewed or the VAR identifies a “clear and obvious error” in one of the four match-changing situations and communicates this to the referee."

What's the point in the "clear and obvious error" part then? Since everything that happens ever would come under your definition of a 'serious missed incident".

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't think you will be able to back up that assertion.

It’s backed up by knowing that a goal has a direct impact on the game, but sure. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

What's the point in the "clear and obvious error" part then? Since everything that happens ever would come under your definition of a 'serious missed incident".

No, because not everything has the same impact on a game as a goal does. 

3 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

NBC are saying only part of the law is being used and it goes on to basically say, and I'm paraphrasing, the stuff being quoted doesn't count after the keeper has made a save and the ball's gone loose. VAR also only showed the play after Schmeichel's initial save so ref didn't see the whole incident. They're yanks so it may be be bollocks.

Sounds like bollocks.  

Hand on ball = keepers ball,  by definition.

I have absolutely no idea what's controversial about this decision.  It's so clear cut