English Premier League 2021/22 Season

The Liverpool glory-hunters on here lording it over the Man Utd glory-hunters on here is to be expected and it's always good to see a "big" team get bodied at home.

On MotD2, presenter Mark Chapman (no not that one) who is a genuine Man Utd fan, is trying his best to hold it together.

AWB is genuinely atrocious.  His positional awareness is laughable but gets an easy ride because once a game he'll sprint and then slide tackle the attacker and the ball will thunder out for a throw in.  A terrible, terrible footballer.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

AWB is genuinely atrocious.  His positional awareness is laughable but gets an easy ride because once a game he'll sprint and then slide tackle the attacker and the ball will thunder out for a throw in.  A terrible, terrible footballer.

50 million quid for a boy who's main attribute is he can slide tackle.

Never mind the fact he cannot pass, cannot cross, is positionally clueless, cannot head the ball.  Another disastrous signing.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

30 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Never mind the fact he cannot pass, cannot cross, is positionally clueless, cannot head the ball.  Another disastrous signing.

Steady on lads, that’s “the best one-on-one defender in the world” you’re talking about there.

34 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He seems to escape criticism for some reason. The first goal yesterday he was all over the place positionally, and then was out-sprinted (or should that be jogged) by Robertson by about 30 yards. The 2nd goal he also jogged back after being out of position. The 5th goal the same, although it didn't matter. He is clueless and lazy defensively, and offers nothing going forward. Look at Liverpool's first goal yesterday and Robertson is practically in the goal net as the goal is scored such is his enthusiasm and energy levels, you cannot imagine AWB doing that. As you say it's the classic example of the full-back who makes the odd aggressive slide tackle in front of the fans kidding everyone on that he is committed and strong defensively. But like I say when you watch him off the ball you see he is anything but.

The whole defensive half of their team is really sub-standard - AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Fred and McTominay are probably Europa League standard players/average Champions League players on a good day, never mind top Champions League/Premier League winners. Every club has one or 2 of those in their line-up but not half the team. Going forward they have talented individuals but no cohesion, and their overall game plan is a mess. Tuchel replacing Lampard last season showed the difference appointing a top level manager can make and how daft it is appointing someone purely on the basis that they used to play for your club. How a club and business of the stature of Man Utd can continue to appoint someone so unqualified for the most important role in the club continually baffles me.

42 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Another disastrous signing.

I think it's more he's regressed under a clueless manager and coaching staff. 

Don't think I've seen such an utter humiliation like that before. Barcelona/Bayern, Villa/Liverpool, Southampton's 9s were obviously bad but not as bad as that. If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be a bit p'd off at Klopp for stopping playing with 30 minutes to go. That could easily have been double figures if they'd bothered themselves. 

Even in an era where managers rarely resign I'm surprised Ole didn't do the right thing last night. I doubt he'd be out of pocket too much by walking. He seems to be either totally deluded or genuinely believes the PR spin he's doing a good job. The Glazers will see 5-0 and think it's an improvement on last season's 6-1 so all's good. That club is in one hell of a mess

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He seems to escape criticism for some reason. The first goal yesterday he was all over the place positionally, and then was out-sprinted (or should that be jogged) by Robertson by about 30 yards. The 2nd goal he also jogged back after being out of position. The 5th goal the same, although it didn't matter. He is clueless and lazy defensively, and offers nothing going forward. Look at Liverpool's first goal yesterday and Robertson is practically in the goal net as the goal is scored such is his enthusiasm and energy levels, you cannot imagine AWB doing that. As you say it's the classic example of the full-back who makes the odd aggressive slide tackle in front of the fans kidding everyone on that he is committed and strong defensively. But like I say when you watch him off the ball you see he is anything but.

The whole defensive half of their team is really sub-standard - AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Fred and McTominay are probably Europa League standard players/average Champions League players on a good day, never mind top Champions League/Premier League winners. Every club has one or 2 of those in their line-up but not half the team. Going forward they have talented individuals but no cohesion, and their overall game plan is a mess. Tuchel replacing Lampard last season showed the difference appointing a top level manager can make and how daft it is appointing someone purely on the basis that they used to play for your club. How a club and business of the stature of Man Utd can continue to appoint someone so unqualified for the most important role in the club continually baffles me.

Great post and the Lampard to Tuchel upgrade is a good point.  I've made the same point on here before.  Look at Tuchel's CV compared to Lampard's.  Look at Zidane's (for example) compared to Solkjaer's.  The United job is miles too big for him.  Huge clubs appointing a former player with next to no experience almost exclusively ends in laughable failure.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

It’s even more confusing when you consider that Man United could have their pick of any manager in the world, more or less. Other than the current managers of about 10 other clubs, who’s actually going to say no to them? 

I don't get it.  Apart from the City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern and a few international managers, they can say to literally every other team on the planet 'name your price to take this lovely lad off your hands'.  Why the utter fuck do they employ OGS as their first team manager.  Fucking idiots.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don't get it.  Apart from the City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern and a few international managers, they can say to literally every other team on the planet 'name your price to take this lovely lad off your hands'.  Why the utter f**k do they employ OGS as their first team manager.  Fucking idiots.

Because their owners only care about money. Share price and sponsorship income > trophies. They've become another Arsenal where top 4 and CL is all that matters. They think any semi competent manager can achieve that as they're Manchester United. Glazer-Woodward-Solskjaer is the puppet hierarchy. Ole's the club legend stooge that'll do as he's told while the fans are loathe to criticise him so they've bought themselves time. Woodward will be replaced by the same again. The only flaw in their masterplan is Ole is so far out of his depth and now the world is returning to normal he's being shown up for what he is. Going by Twitter last night there are still United fans backing him. It's unreal but the Glazers have an IPL team to buy so please get your priorities right. 

I watched the game yesterday. The second half was dull as anything - Liverpool just passing it about. Why not? Game was won. Man U offered nothing. Absolutely nothing. 

Years ago I watched Alloa lose 6-0 to Rangers at Ibrox. That was a closer match than yesterday's.

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

He gets far too easy a time of it. You look at the full backs of the top teams in the league and they are all excellent going forward but Wan Bissaka is clueless.

Neville was absolutely at it after the game too.  Carragher and Souness getting called 'jokers' by him because they were asking him why he was blaming everything under the sun for United being shite, apart from his mate. The two of them laughing at him was great.  Neville knows OGS needs to be sacked but will never say it.

A few folk on Twitter yesterday were saying they reckon Woodward is basically acting on what Neville says on Sky Sports week in, week out.  He's calling the shots from the Sky studios.

4 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

Because their owners only care about money. Share price and sponsorship income > trophies. They've become another Arsenal where top 4 and CL is all that matters. They think any semi competent manager can achieve that as they're Manchester United. Glazer-Woodward-Solskjaer is the puppet hierarchy. Ole's the club legend stooge that'll do as he's told while the fans are loathe to criticise him so they've bought themselves time. Woodward will be replaced by the same again. The only flaw in their masterplan is Ole is so far out of his depth and now the world is returning to normal he's being shown up for what he is. Going by Twitter last night there are still United fans backing him. It's unreal but the Glazers have an IPL team to buy so please get your priorities right. 

The owners have sanctioned a very high transfer spend, to little effect. 

Maguire was £85m, Sancho was £73m, Fred and Wan-Bisakka both cost £50m each, Bruno Fernandes cost £56m and Paul Pogba cost over £90m. Martial was £54m.

These players are all current ones, but to name two departed players, Lukaku cost £75m and Di Maria was around £65m. 

This is a management problem, not an ownership issue. The Glazers might well be arseholes, but they have not exactly adopted the old Celtic biscuit tin mentality. The club is suffering because of shite management, not a lack of investment. 

Also realised I missed out Ronaldo in my list of spending. Granted this was a low transfer fee by #Barclays standards, his wages will be about £25m a year and they also pipped Man City, who have the bank account of Abu Dhabi at their disposal. 

It's not the Glazers to blame, as much as the fans donning the Norwich City coloured scarves in their support think it is. 

Edited by Michael W