English Premier League 2021/22 Season

Looking at those photos of stadiums and how they could be expanded. If you have a spare five minutes sometime, and are a sad barsteward like me, who, when the telly is shite, zooms around some stadiums in Google Earth to see areas in cities I don’t know, and what these stadiums are like outside…. Try firing up your laptop or tablet, type ‘La Bombonera stadium’ (Estadio Alberto J….Buenos Aires) into Google Earth and get back to me with your expansion plans for that. 😀

Street view is good. The bars about five feet away from that stadium must be off-the-scale mad mental on matchdays. Good luck walking around there wearing a River Plate replica shirt. 🤐

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Why worry about increasing capacity?  There's no concern for getting more ticket sales, even currently it represents such a tiny proportion of revenue in the EPL, nevermind once you add the sportwashed cash coming in.  

If anything happens I could see an increase to hospitality areas,  which will conveniently be sold out at extortionate prices...   Having bigger sections of your stadium filled by businessmen there for a day out and a tax dodge expense instead of real fans is a massive desire of the EPL.  Liverpool's increased capacity is nearly entirely filled by these types as an example.

I think tbf every club up here tries to get in the hospitality act too. Just as far as people will generally go to get the matalan suit and rockports out at the likes of Falkirk is about £40 for a curry and a couple of beers with a free programme thrown. 

Great photos @HibeeJibee

that's still better than David Moyes  PNE 3rd divison title & a charity shield that was off the back of work done by SAF

although he bizarrely won the LMA Manager of the year 3 times

Measuring the performance of managers of middling clubs on the basis of how many trophies they have won is the work of an absolute simpleton. What Moyes did at Everton and is doing again now at West Ham is better than anything Bruce has ever achieved.

However, in fairness to Bruce, I'm not sure he can be judged on not winning trophies when he's been managing the likes of Wigan, Hull and Newcastle. He is clearly a good mid-table manager who tends to make his teams hard to beat and therefore keeps them in the division.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Measuring the performance of managers of middling clubs on the basis of how many trophies they have won is the work of an absolute simpleton. What Moyes did at Everton and is doing again now at West Ham is better than anything Bruce has ever achieved.

However, in fairness to Bruce, I'm not sure he can be judged on not winning trophies when he's been managing the likes of Wigan, Hull and Newcastle. He is clearly a good mid-table manager who tends to make his teams hard to beat and therefore keeps them in the division.

what did Moyes achieve at Everton ? 

8 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

what did Moyes achieve at Everton ? 

When he took over from Walter Smith, they were only outside the relegation places on goal difference, and had finished in the top half of the table just once in the last 10 years. He kept them up and took them to 7th the following season. He then struggled the following season and only just kept them up, but bounced back from that to lead them to 4th place in the table and a Champions League spot. He was there for a further eight seasons, and finished in the top 6 on another five occasions, only finishing in the bottom half (11th) once.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

When he took over from Walter Smith, they were only outside the relegation places on goal difference, and had finished in the top half of the table just once in the last 10 years. He kept them up and took them to 7th the following season. He then struggled the following season and only just kept them up, but bounced back from that to lead them to 4th place in the table and a Champions League spot. He was there for a further eight seasons, and finished in the top 6 on another five occasions, only finishing in the bottom half (11th) once.

what a guy.

using a current phrase like ''top 6'' to embellish a man's ''achievements'', 6th, 7th .8th was nowhere in his days at Everton.

Edited by Meldrew

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Don’t lower yourself mate. The guy is anti-Scottish so will argue with you all day.

13 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

not at all true, i think Michelle Moan is beautiful and fantastic woman, and a credit to her nation.

So much so that you couldn't even spell her name right. Thanks for playing anyway chump.

4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpeg.fd790b659afe480e96a340c33160a944.jpeg

2 hours ago, Meldrew said:

what a guy.

using a current phrase like ''top 6'' to embellish a man's ''achievements'', 6th, 7th .8th was nowhere in his days at Everton.

I'm not sure which explanation makes you look stupider, that you're trolling or you actually believe this.

Anyway

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He also achieves this:

Aww.

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Look, we get it. You don’t like David Moyes because he didn’t do well at Man United. 

He didn't do well at Man U but he took over a team that had already reached it's peak and was on the way down and the whole recruitment team was starting afresh so weren't able to bring in the correct replacements. That transfer window was a massive failure for Man U. Of the important players from the year before's title winning team only Evra and de Gea kept those standards up afterwards. 

Still he got six years pay for 8 months work. He done well in that regard. 

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

4 hours ago, Crow said:

I think tbf every club up here tries to get in the hospitality act too. Just as far as people will generally go to get the matalan suit and rockports out at the likes of Falkirk is about £40 for a curry and a couple of beers with a free programme thrown. 

Great photos @HibeeJibee

I dunno,  it just feels different to me.  Hospitality up here feels more like your regular fan going to for a birthday or something.  Down there it feels more like the game itself isn't why they are there. 

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This sounds fair yeah. It was over a decade ago now but iirc he did pretty well with a jobber filled Birmingham City, who've not been in the top flight for a good while now.

53 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I dunno,  it just feels different to me.  Hospitality up here feels more like your regular fan going to for a birthday or something.  Down there it feels more like the game itself isn't why they are there. 

Agree with that. I’ve been a few times to St Mirren’s hospitality for a birthday, an anniversary, with an Australian relative over here visiting. Always a great day out, different from my usual ‘turn up, go for a pish, sit down, watch the game, go home’ matchday ‘experience’. Usually we join a shared table and over (many) beers, we get talking to those at the table. Comfy lavvy facilities, games on Sky TV, a whole day out. It’s a treat, something different. An excuse to wear my St Mirren club tie. 😀

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Agree with that. I’ve been a few times to St Mirren’s hospitality for a birthday, an anniversary, with an Australian relative over here visiting. Always a great day out, different from my usual ‘turn up, go for a pish, sit down, watch the game, go home’ matchday ‘experience’. Usually we join a shared table and over (many) beers, we get talking to those at the table. Comfy lavvy facilities, games on Sky TV, a whole day out. It’s a treat, something different. An excuse to wear my St Mirren club tie. 😀

Always a big plus when you get to our age...