English Premier League 2021/22 Season

29 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Part of me wonders if the Newcastle board are concerned they may be championship bound, hence why they’re allegedly only spending £50m this window.

I doubt the egos of the new owners would take being relegated at any point let alone in their first season. I also don't believe the £50m figure. That'll just be a failed bluff to stop agents and players thinking Newcastle are now a money tree. Which of course they are.

6 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

I know nothing of the politics of the situation but now money is no object to them, I wonder if Newcastle will try and buy up the properties that stopped them expanding all sides of the stadium. If their 'project' works 52,000 capacity surely wouldn't be enough going forward. 

Don't quote me on this but isn't Leazes Terrace behind one stand listed or some such?

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't quote me on this but isn't Leazes Terrace behind one stand listed or some such?

I wondered about that but in a (very) quick look at the area I saw adverts for student flat lets there so thought it maybe wasn't. I'm sure the Saudi's could use their petty cash to have it moved over a bit brick by brick. Who needs gardens and tennis courts anyway.

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

Going by Wiki, after 23 years, 11 clubs and 1000 games Bruce's managerial 'trophy' haul is 1 Cup Final defeat and 2 Championship second places plus a single Manager of the Month award. He really has been the definition of managerial magnolia. I'll never understand why so many clubs thought he was the man for them unless their ambition was to tread water at best. A remarkably nothing career but one that'll have netted him millions. 

that's still better than David Moyes  PNE 3rd divison title & a charity shield that was off the back of work done by SAF

although he bizarrely won the LMA Manager of the year 3 times

7 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

that's still better than David Moyes  PNE 3rd divison title & a charity shield that was off the back of work done by SAF

Everything's relative of course. Bruce must have been a good enough manager to have been employed at that level by so many people over such a long time. He just wasn't good enough to become a top manager. Being realistic isn't called for at times like this though. 

14 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

It quite clearly isn't better though, you utter imbecile. 

56 minutes ago, virginton said:

It quite clearly isn't better though, you utter imbecile. 

so winning a league Morton could compete in, and a glorified friendly that was earned by the guy who did the job before you, is better than an FA Cup Final ?

not for me it isnt.  

Didn’t Moyes also take Everton from being seriously troubled with relegation under Walter Smith to perennial European qualifiers? (Hint: yes, he did)

There’s simply no way anyone could look at the respective managerial careers of David Moyes and Steve Bruce, and conclude that the latter is superior. Unless you’re a total moron, of course. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't know how much he got out of them, but I hope he screwed them for every penny he could. As poor-to-average a manager as he was, it must have been utterly shite for him over the last few weeks basically waiting for the firing squad to come through the door

BBC news said Bruce received an 8 million payoff. FFS etc.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

3 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

I wondered about that but in a (very) quick look at the area I saw adverts for student flat lets there so thought it maybe wasn't. I'm sure the Saudi's could use their petty cash to have it moved over a bit brick by brick. Who needs gardens and tennis courts anyway.

It's a Grade 1 listed Georgian development, part of which is now used by the uni. Newcastle's equivalent of Edinburgh's Second New Town (but no quite so grand).

Screen-Shot-2019-04-01-at-22.29.28.jpg

D9__0VlW4AA-bVX.jpg:large

4658257_cbca152f.jpg

st-james-park-cover.jpg

They'd presumably have more chance of expanding the smaller end of the ground which is open behind but does fall off rather precipitously into a major local road.

st-james-park-in-2003.jpg

The-Gallowgate-St-James-Park-Time-Freeze

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They'd presumably have more chance of expanding the smaller end of the ground which is open behind but does fall off rather precipitously into a major local road.

st-james-park-in-2003.jpg

That's asking to be tunnelled like the Vicente Calderon.

image.png.808ee09e297d415de293ceae022972ce.png

Thanks @HibeeJibee. Don't want to quote all that again. If it's Grade 1 then I take it they're knackered even though the building looks great devalued by the proximity of the existing stand. My idea of moving it further back would obviously suit all parties!

If they can't properly expand St James then I'd love to see the reaction of the locals when a new 80,000 GeordieDome is scheduled for near the Metro Centre. 😂

@Zetterlund. Less dramatic but the Trinity Road Stand at Villa park also goes over a road. Trinity Road by a remarkable coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

That's asking to be tunnelled like the Vicente Calderon.

Villa Park, Lansdowne Road, Parc des Princes...

DsMMuwZX4AAn21B.jpg

Lansdowne+Road+3.jpg

parc-g.jpg

Seemingly it'd be more complicated than just straddling the roadway, as the roadway itself is actually raised above the natural level, with the covered Metro line + station alongside, and there is nothing solid directly below to rest onto. I suppose you could put both through a sort of tunnel-come-bridge at the same time within some gargantuan framework.

You can see how the level is artificialy raised and falls away steeply:

JS44334211.jpg

JS72329282.jpg

St_James'_Park_Gallowgate_Stand,_7_Septe

These old views give an idea of how steep the Gallowgate approach used to be.

stjamesparkpast5.jpg

st-james-park-takes-shape-by-the-late-80

rwsjp3.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

Why worry about increasing capacity?  There's no concern for getting more ticket sales, even currently it represents such a tiny proportion of revenue in the EPL, nevermind once you add the sportwashed cash coming in.  

If anything happens I could see an increase to hospitality areas,  which will conveniently be sold out at extortionate prices...   Having bigger sections of your stadium filled by businessmen there for a day out and a tax dodge expense instead of real fans is a massive desire of the EPL.  Liverpool's increased capacity is nearly entirely filled by these types as an example.