English Premier League 2021/22 Season

17 minutes ago, Michael W said:

My second favourite foul on Saka this year. 

It genuinely looks like he's trying to kick the ball. The timing of the kick syncs with where the ball would be had it dropped. It's like a FIFA glitch.

Belter of a foul though.

6 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

In a shocking turn of events, Steve Bruce has been sacked 

Legitimately cannot wait for him to get another job in 6 months and finish above Newcastle.

Wonder if they have any players who’ll be in their long term plans now? Saint-Maximin maybe? That’s about it probably.

Going to be interesting watching how the Newcastle pantomime plays out. This is a squad eminently capable of being relegated. You’d also think that far from rolling up their sleeves and fighting for future fat contracts under the new owners, the majority of NUFC’s current players know they’re on borrowed time and won’t be part of the new owners plans. Maybe Saint-Maximin, but that’s it. It’ll take them a lot longer than one transfer window to completely turn that squad around too. They might be able to afford a host of big names, but will the big names join a struggling team, and would a couple of new bigger name players make too much of a difference?

As a Newcastle fan, I clearly don’t want them to be relegated, but I don’t support Newcastle in anything approaching the same emotionally attached way that I support St Mirren. I can fully appreciate that it would actually be funny as fcuk for fans of every other team if the hapless, but loaded, Saudi owned Newcastle were relegated.

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Going to be interesting watching how the Newcastle pantomime plays out. This is a squad eminently capable of being relegated. You’d also think that far from rolling up their sleeves and fighting for future fat contracts under the new owners, the majority of NUFC’s current players know they’re on borrowed time and won’t be part of the new owners plans. Maybe Saint-Maximin, but that’s it. It’ll take them a lot longer than one transfer window to completely turn that squad around too. They might be able to afford a host of big names, but will the big names join a struggling team, and would a couple of new bigger name players make too much of a difference?

As a Newcastle fan, I clearly don’t want them to be relegated, but I don’t support Newcastle in anything approaching the same emotionally attached way that I support St Mirren. I can fully appreciate that it would actually be funny as fcuk for fans of every other team if the hapless, but loaded, Saudi owned Newcastle were relegated.

I’m more looking forward to those ‘half way done’ squads they’ll have with the likes of Haaland and Mbappe up front, but still playing Matt Ritchie at left back. 

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Brucey laughing all the way to the bank.

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

1000 games in management with a 37.6% win rate for Bruce. Hasn't he largely knocked about in mid table jobs, largely achieving f**k all, before moving into another one? Decent grift imo.

He neglected to mention the money:

Off the top of my head he got Hull to an FA Cup final.

How long did it take Wolves to get promoted after they established their Portugal/Mendes connection? Could be relevant to Newcastle if they get relegated in terms of how they build a Championship team capable of transitioning to the PL with ease (and Newcastle would make bigger signings when promoted).

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

1000 games in management with a 37.6% win rate for Bruce. Hasn't he largely knocked about in mid table jobs, largely achieving f**k all, before moving into another one? Decent grift imo.

Steve Bruce was one of those guys who I always had difficulty actually remembering who he was in charge of at any particular time. There were so many, too hard to keep up. See also - Paul Lambert.

Going by Wiki, after 23 years, 11 clubs and 1000 games Bruce's managerial 'trophy' haul is 1 Cup Final defeat and 2 Championship second places plus a single Manager of the Month award. He really has been the definition of managerial magnolia. I'll never understand why so many clubs thought he was the man for them unless their ambition was to tread water at best. A remarkably nothing career but one that'll have netted him millions. 

How long did it take Wolves to get promoted after they established their Portugal/Mendes connection? Could be relevant to Newcastle if they get relegated in terms of how they build a Championship team capable of transitioning to the PL with ease (and Newcastle would make bigger signings when promoted).

From memory, 2 seasons.
Part of me wonders if the Newcastle board are concerned they may be championship bound, hence why they’re allegedly only spending £50m this window.