English Premier League 2021/22 Season

5 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Exactly. When you look at the big 3 in the North of England and they’re near limitless resources, signings are ridiculous. Even Man Utd had to spend £80 million or so for Harry McGuire ffs. Look at that defence and the cost. An absolute fortune. Would you rush out and spend £100 to go to Old Trafford to see McGuire, Shaw etc? 
Newcastle fans will now expect mega stars to roll up. The reality is they’re in a market where Jack Grealish is a £100 million pound player! Expect season ticket prices to go through the roof for the privilege of watching players earning £250000 a week and still win nothing. Can’t see the Geordies liking that much

tbf, i'd rather spend the ton and watch slabhead maguire turn slower than a bus, than have to go to whatever took over from love street

6 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Newcastle is actually on the cusp of having what could be described as a Mediterranean climate. Very little rain and extremely hot summers.

Definitely far better weather than Paris, Milan or Munich.

The climate is amazing, you never see the locals out in a jacket.

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

I made the mistake of watching sky sports news it consists of man going to work and man leaving work shots of Steve Bruce 

They are gagging for him to be punted 

Given that he knows their already entitled fans expectations are about to become utterly uncontrollable, and that he stands to hip 8 millions snaps, i'm he is also wishing they would just get on with it. 

It's the ultimate win win situation for Bruce given he's originally from near Newcastle and a lifelong supporter of the club. He must be absolutely delighted at getting the boot so that they can finally bring in a manager that knows what he's doing while he picks up another £8m for his 'Pay Offs' Swiss bank account.  Getting sacked doesn't come much better than this. 

6 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I don't follow twitter gossip etc - are there any 'big names' suddenly being linked with Newcastle? I can't decide if I think they'll go baws oot for a Benzema or trawl the MLS for someone we all thought retired years ago.

Johnny Russell incoming IMO

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

It's the ultimate win win situation for Bruce given he's originally from near Newcastle and a lifelong supporter of the club. He must be absolutely delighted at getting the boot so that they can finally bring in a manager that knows what he's doing while he picks up another £8m for his 'Pay Offs' Swiss bank account.  Getting sacked doesn't come much better than this. 

Pocket the dosh. Buy season ticket to watch incoming Newcastle  galacticos. Win-win for Steve.

32 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Not to mention me dream team.

#seething

Straight swap for Rudiger or Laporte IMO.

16 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Pocket the dosh. Buy season ticket to watch incoming Newcastle  galacticos. Win-win for Steve.

Straight swap for Rudiger or Laporte IMO.

Already got three Chelsea players and I refuse to select Citeh players as I almost get caught out by their squad rotation bollocks. 

Man City didn't start getting the big stars in immediately - if you don't have Champions League football, a lot of players simply won't be interested. Similarly Chelsea signed the likes of Damian Duff when Abramovic first arrived. They'll improve undoubtedly but it will not be instant. 

Because of Brexit they no longer have free reign over the European leagues either as any signings will need a work permit. A good opportunity here for established Premier League teams to fucking rinse them - £60m for dross like Fred or Origi perhaps. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Man City didn't start getting the big stars in immediately - if you don't have Champions League football, a lot of players simply won't be interested. Similarly Chelsea signed the likes of Damian Duff when Abramovic first arrived. They'll improve undoubtedly but it will not be instant. 

Because of Brexit they no longer have free reign over the European leagues either as any signings will need a work permit. A good opportunity here for established Premier League teams to fucking rinse them - £60m for dross like Fred or Origi perhaps. 

Did Chelsea not sign Makelele and Crespo that summer? They had Champions League football though, City didn’t and neither do Newcastle of course. City did convince Robinho to sign for them though, which at the time was seen as a huge signing despite how it worked out. Although they also made a tonne of absolutely beige signings like Craig Bellamy and Shay Given.

The market is completely different today though, and Newcastle are a worse team than City were at the time. There might be a biggish name in there but there won’t be a Robinho type. It will be mostly solid EPL players for about £40 million.

City’s efforts were certainly 2 stage.  The signing of Robinho was huge, but he was a bit of a maverick(and later proven rapist) and was given a bit of a free run of the place on top of a healthy wage,  for someone of his personality enough to justify no champions league. The rest of stage 1 was to basically sign any half decent but not great player they could. Enough to push their way to champions league where the could convince more proven stars.

With financial fair play rules(which will no doubt be manipulated) and squad limits I think Newcastle could be a 3 or 4 stage operation with lots of player and likely management turnover,  with many in a few years time laughing and how little they did for a big pile of cash.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Did Chelsea not sign Makelele and Crespo that summer? They had Champions League football though, City didn’t and neither do Newcastle of course. City did convince Robinho to sign for them though, which at the time was seen as a huge signing despite how it worked out. Although they also made a tonne of absolutely beige signings like Craig Bellamy and Shay Given.

The market is completely different today though, and Newcastle are a worse team than City were at the time. There might be a biggish name in there but there won’t be a Robinho type. It will be mostly solid EPL players for about £40 million.

Turns out they did - along with Adrian Mutu and Duff, the big money signings. Less glamorous signings included Wayne Bridge, Geremi, Glen Johnson and, for some reason, Neil Sullivan. 

https://www.givemesport.com/1382288-the-13-players-chelsea-signed-during-their-first-summer-of-the-roman-abramovich-era

Even more inexplicably, a newly-minted Man City also signed Wayne Bridge amongst their first tranche. Robinho was indeed a coup for them, albeit he only signed because he was unaware there were two teams in Manchester and thought he was going to Man Utd.