English Premier League 2021/22 Season

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Liverpool overtook Villa for most domestic trophies in the 1970s.

Think we had one more trophy than Man Utd at the start of the Premier League.

And as for poxy Chelsea and Man City....

Liverpool didn't win their 3rd FA Cup until 1986. At that time Villa had 7 to their credit.

Liverpool won their first League Cup in 1981, by which time Villa had 3 on their sideboard.

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

When I started going to Villa (1988) we had won every trophy the same or more times than Man U. Haven't really bothered keeping track of things since, but imagine we are still ahead.

aye, United should put a statue of Graeme Souness outside Old Trafford, he played a huge part in their success

As regards Newcastle. I have always thought that, even mega rich clubs in the North of England, are up against it in the transfer market. The two Manchester clubs and Liverpool, spend fortunes on players and ridiculous salaries. However, Ronaldo aside, how many were regarded as superstars before signing for these clubs? 
Even now, given the choice, the vast majority of top class players will opt for Madrid, Barcelona or Italy for a number of reasons. Realistically, who would choose to live in Newcastle, Manchester or Liverpool if given a choice? I always feel London clubs have more chance of signing South American or Southern European stars, as London is cosmopolitan and has easy access back home.

I may be wrong, but I can’t see Newcastle signing superstar players, no matter how much they throw at it

25 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

As regards Newcastle. I have always thought that, even mega rich clubs in the North of England, are up against it in the transfer market. The two Manchester clubs and Liverpool, spend fortunes on players and ridiculous salaries. However, Ronaldo aside, how many were regarded as superstars before signing for these clubs? 
Even now, given the choice, the vast majority of top class players will opt for Madrid, Barcelona or Italy for a number of reasons. Realistically, who would choose to live in Newcastle, Manchester or Liverpool if given a choice? I always feel London clubs have more chance of signing South American or Southern European stars, as London is cosmopolitan and has easy access back home.

I may be wrong, but I can’t see Newcastle signing superstar players, no matter how much they throw at it

Agreed. Didn't one North-East club persuade a foreign player to sign by saying that they'd be living an hour away from London, not mentioning that it was a one hour flight away and not just a quick run in the sponsored car?

Exactly. When you look at the big 3 in the North of England and they’re near limitless resources, signings are ridiculous. Even Man Utd had to spend £80 million or so for Harry McGuire ffs. Look at that defence and the cost. An absolute fortune. Would you rush out and spend £100 to go to Old Trafford to see McGuire, Shaw etc? 
Newcastle fans will now expect mega stars to roll up. The reality is they’re in a market where Jack Grealish is a £100 million pound player! Expect season ticket prices to go through the roof for the privilege of watching players earning £250000 a week and still win nothing. Can’t see the Geordies liking that much

7 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Expect season ticket prices to go through the roof for the privilege of watching players earning £250000 a week and still win nothing. Can’t see the Geordies liking that much

I’ll like it quite a lot though, and that’s what really matters.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Agreed. Didn't one North-East club persuade a foreign player to sign by saying that they'd be living an hour away from London, not mentioning that it was a one hour flight away and not just a quick run in the sponsored car?

I think Steve Gibson has said he had to pay more money to players to come to the North East if he was competing with London clubs as they would have preferred to move there than Middlesboro.

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

I don't believe this will be an issue. Newcastle were able to attract Asprilla from Parma when Parma were competing for European trophies. So a guy from South America living in a warm European country was still convinced to go to Newcastle as they were a CL team at the time. Now give Newcastle the biggest budget in world football and they won't be able to sign these guys????

If the environment is right ie a good manager, stadium improvements, other good players...........and a bucket load of cash then I doubt they will have trouble signing the players they want. Sure you will always find some players who want the lifestyle of Spain or Italy but there are plenty who will come to the north of the UK. Even the OF have been able to attract good foreign players at times with less money and a poor league.

6 hours ago, CambieBud said:

United have never really been about signing the finished article, however Seba Veron was probably a Top 3 player in the world when United signed him, and they had all but signed Ronaldinho, but then tried to low ball PSG after finding out Barca couldnt come close to United's opening offer, Barca told them to f**k off and took a financial hit and excepted the lower Barca transfer fee.

Wives and girlfriends are probably the main reason why a player doesn't sign for Liverpool, United or City