English Premier League 2021/22 Season

People from Inverness who support Rangers and Celtic, in my experience, do so because they win most of their games and it makes their own depressing lives better. 

Old Firm fans I’ve worked with over the years were always brain dead morons. The ones who supported The Caley, County, Aberdeen etc always had working brains. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

People from Inverness who support Rangers and Celtic, in my experience, do so because they win most of their games and it makes their own depressing lives better. 

Old Firm fans I’ve worked with over the years were always brain dead morons. The ones who supported The Caley, County, Aberdeen etc always had working brains. 

in what way are they morons, compared to the caley, county and aberdeen fans { outside of football talk}  

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

May I ask what is it you work as? This for me really is nonsense as most people support whoever their family support and it would be  ridiculous to suggest some sort of superiority.

Edited by gannonball

41 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

local identity ? you sound much older than an ''old codger'', you sound more like an old codger's da.

Old codgers da would be me Victor. My levels of disgust at the takeover by one of, if not the most, brutal regimes on the planet is through the roof.  They are pushing all the boats out in trying to legitimise or mask their barbarism.  And football says give us the money

28 minutes ago, gannonball said:

May I ask what is it you work as? This for me really is nonsense as most people support whoever their family support and it would be  ridiculous to suggest some sort of superiority.

Most people are glory hunters who say they support the OF because of their family.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Most people are glory hunters who say they support the OF because of their family.

Of course they are. I mean, even if that is their reason, how do they imagine their father came to support a team from outside his locality at a time when travel/getting to see live football was harder? Or his father who faced those issues x10 again? 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah, basically if your team wins f**k all for 60 odd years, but you have loads of fans, you're a big club.

There's a couple of clubs up here like that isn't there?

I can't think of any.

1 minute ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Yes, crowds can change depending on our success but I doubt that changes much %age wise compared to other teams in Scotland. I think if people are looking for glory and glamour these days in football they won’t be looking at teams in Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Old codgers da would be me Victor. My levels of disgust at the takeover by one of, if not the most, brutal regimes on the planet is through the roof.  They are pushing all the boats out in trying to legitimise or mask their barbarism.  And football says give us the money

oh, don't get me wrong here, my reply to the old codger was to the widely held P & B opinion that's its wrong to support a club if you drive past another teams ground on the way to that club, there seems to be some honour and an air of superiority on here if you choose to support a shite local team, but thats another debate for another day, my levels of disgust for this latest sports washing will easily compete with your own, i've never had any love for Newcastle United, or their entitled fans, this only enhances that.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Of course they are. I mean, even if that is their reason, how do they imagine their father came to support a team from outside his locality at a time when travel/getting to see live football was harder? Or his father who faced those issues x10 again? 

so your family has lived in the same area for the last 4 or 5 generations ?

Also religion, things maybe different now, but i knew loads of sellick fans who bypassed Motherwell because they were ''h*ns without the bus fare''

Edited by Meldrew

You dont think 4 or 5 generations is long enough to maybe migrate towards supporting the local team? Especially given that you only really only have to go back one or 2 at most to reach a point where getting to a game or seeing one live at all was pretty inaccesible for many/most if they lived say, as the thread example has been, in Inverness. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You dont think 4 or 5 generations is long enough to maybe migrate towards supporting the local team? Especially given that you only really only have to go back one or 2 at most to reach a point where getting to a game or seeing one live at all was pretty inaccesible for many/most if they lived say, as the thread example has been, in Inverness. 

Inverness probably isn’t a great example as they didn't really have a team in the Scottish league until the 90s I think. 

I know a few Newcastle fans and have been to a few games. I'd never call myself a "fan" but I have a bit of a soft spot for them. I'm pleased Ashley is gone but have some, erm, reservations over the new owners.

In terms of how big they are, any club that plays in those cheap shite Castore kits will always be a bit tinpot.

4 hours ago, Meldrew said:

See the source imageThey've won less and play in front of a smaller home crowd, but Leeds are a bigger club than Newcastle imo.

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

I’d also class leeds as a big team. There are various attributes which come into the discussion but not all teams will meet them.

Shite I’m afraid.  Other than a great decade from the mid 60’s - mid 1970’s and a financially doped spell in the 90’s-00’s, Leeds have been pretty irrelevant.

To say they are comparable to Man City or Newcastle, is obviously nonsense.  They are closer to West Brom.

Other than the fact Newcastle have won more trophies and have bigger historical and current attendances, you can look at league records.

Leeds have played 52 seasons in the top flight, 44 outwith (including 3 in league one).

Newcastle have played 90 seasons in the top flight, 29 outwith (none in third tier).

Premiership era only;

Leeds 14 prem, 16 outwith.

Newcastle 26 prem, 2 outwith.

There’s not even a debate to be had on this one.

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Newcastle fans getting in plenty of advanced hubris since the takeover. This is going to be funny as f**k when they're still cutting about mid-table at best and failing to win silverware in three seasons time emoji23.png

Cutting about mid-table is the stuff of dreams for your comedy outfit though!!

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Inverness probably isn’t a great example as they didn't really have a team in the Scottish league until the 90s I think. 

Have you never heard of Clachnacudden, Inverness Thistle or Caledonian? Three clubs with fantastic history. 

Thistle & Caley may have merged but individually they had rich histories as has ICT in their 25 years.

Old firm fans up north are pathetic.

6 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Have you never heard of Clachnacudden, Inverness Thistle or Caledonian? Three clubs with fantastic history. 

Thistle & Caley may have merged but individually they had rich histories as has ICT in their 25 years.

Old firm fans up north are pathetic.

I agree, but he did say Scottish League.

I'd venture to suggest before ICT, Ross County, Peterhead and Elgin City got in, most HL fans had a Scottish League team.