English Premier League 2021/22 Season

This is what I like to call the Viduka Problem.
A guy that gets 30 goals a season could be costing you 10 goals a season through shooting or getting tackled every time he gets the ball. And it costs you points because yer man will score the only goal in a 1-1 draw that could have been a 2-1 win, or he'll cost so much possession through failing to pass or press that you concede goals you would have avoided.
Lots of teams have found this out the hard way. 

Did you just compare Cristiano Ronaldo to Mark Viduka?

I think it’s a brilliant signing. Ronaldo is the complete athlete and can still easily perform at the highest level. To get him for £20 odd million or whatever it was is a steal when you look at the stupid money being thrown about for guys like Grealish and Ben White. Having a guy of that prestige in the dressing room will be inspiring for his team mates and will help them develop as players. Okay he’s on a monstrous wage but United will recuperate some of that back with his name. Pressure is on Ole now to deliver trophies to United again.

12 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Did you just compare Cristiano Ronaldo to Mark Viduka?

Did you just try to misinterpret what I wrote? 

There's three outcomes when a player gets the ball. They score, they lose possession (tackled, intercepted pass, missed/ saved shot etc) or they complete a pass. A greedy striker will score a few more than others, but his lost possession rate means that the team are less likely to win than they would have been with a forward that makes better decisions. Most of us learned this very early playing football.

As he's got older Ronaldo has got greedier. In his last 98 game Ronaldo has 16 assists. That's poor. In his last 94 games Sancho has 41 assists.

There's three outcomes when a player gets the ball. They score, they lose possession (tackled, intercepted pass, missed/ saved shot etc) or they complete a pass. A greedy striker will score a few more than others, but his lost possession rate means that the team are less likely to win than they would have been with a forward that makes better decisions. Most of us learned this very early playing football.
As he's got older Ronaldo has got greedier. In his last 98 game Ronaldo has 16 assists. That's poor. In his last 94 games Sancho has 41 assists.

Ronaldo is also now just an out and out striker, where as Sancho is not. How many goals does Sancho have? You’re comparing chalk and cheese unfortunately.

Man U - Sign arguably the best player of all time, who averages at least a goal every game everywhere he plays, and who guarantees big moments at vital times.

Random fan - Its a shite signing because he'll lose the ball every so often and they'll concede from it.

I like stats and all that, but fucking hell lads, stop taking the game so seriously. He'll bag them 20+ goals and more than probably win them more than a handful of games, probably some major ones at that, who really cares if they concede from him losing the ball twice a season?

54 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In his last 98 game Ronaldo has 16 assists. That's poor. In his last 94 games Sancho has 41 assists.

Hard to understand why someone playing beside Haaland creates more goals than someone playing beside Morata.

A real head scratcher.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Man U - Sign arguably the best player of all time, who averages at least a goal every game everywhere he plays, and who guarantees big moments at vital times.

Random fan - Its a shite signing because he'll lose the ball every so often and they'll concede from it.

I like stats and all that, but fucking hell lads, stop taking the game so seriously. He'll bag them 20+ goals and more than probably win them more than a handful of games, probably some major ones at that, who really cares if they concede from him losing the ball twice a season?

A good point. Imagine, if with Ronaldo, Ole Gunner Diddy can’t win the league 😂.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani, Sancho and Ronaldo.
Surely they must be looking to offload someone? They've just re-signed Cavani, Sancho is new, Greenwood is a great prospect (and left footed) and you can't see them ditching Rashford.

Martial will be away imo. Either this summer or in January. This will likely be Cavani’s last season as well.

I think playing with Ronaldo could do wonders for Greenwood. He’s going to be outrageously good when he gets a bit older and learning from someone like Ronaldo will only help him improve. He’s not at the stage where you want him playing every week and getting burnt out.

So, to make matters worse about Mendy, he’s been arrested 3 times in the last year for sexual assault, and one more this month.

A second man has also been arrested.

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Martial will be away imo. Either this summer or in January. This will likely be Cavani’s last season as well.

I think playing with Ronaldo could do wonders for Greenwood. He’s going to be outrageously good when he gets a bit older and learning from someone like Ronaldo will only help him improve. He’s not at the stage where you want him playing every week and getting burnt out.

Sure, I'm just not convinced he'll play very much. Ronaldo will have to be front and centre, Sancho will presumably be on the right, Fernandes will be behind and OGS likes two holding midfielders. Which leaves one slot on the left, with Pogba surely first choice there. He could forego one of the holding midfielders, pull Pogba back there and play Greenwood on the left, but Pogba has a big ego and hasn't enjoyed playing deeper in the past.

Obviously they have a lot of scope for rotation now and they can be competitive across the board.

Martial might be a bargain for someone in need of a forward. 

4 hours ago, Meldrew said:

you think ? go onto any city forum they wanted him, grealish wasnt needed, they go all in for Haaland, but its coming down who will pay the most money, and you can forget his old man playing for city and leeds giving them an edge, father and son are apparently very good friend with ''ole the diddy'' 

Are you aware you are agreeing with me?

I am saying City didn't need Grealish, with Silva, Sterling, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Gundogan etc. an attacking midfielder was not the priority. Aguero leaving means all they have is Jesus who is okay but not a world beater so in my view City needed a striker before another playmaker.

I think you agree with me here.

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

So, to make matters worse about Mendy, he’s been arrested 3 times in the last year for sexual assault, and one more this month.

A second man has also been arrested.

and was never suspended by the club either which doesnt make City look good either

7 hours ago, ahemps said:

Call it what you want. I prefer to listen to that than Clyde OF phone in.

i don't mind some of it, {Hawksbee & Jacobs} but the ''sports bar'' phone in is no difference to Clyde

Edited by Meldrew

8 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You are a huge Utd fan mate. You are the quintessential glory hunter.

funny you should say that, i heard that fella from that Ferguslie Star video that's doing the rounds on the radio yesterday, telling the listeners about how a stray dog denied him a goal, the presenter then asked him a question about the team he followed thinking he's a Rangers or Celtic reply, ''Liverpool'' was the reply, ''on i have no interest in the scottish leagues, i was down at the burnley game and i'll be down for the chelsea match at the weekend''....''oh so a proper fan'' the presenter replied

P&B popped into my head at that moment, and i thought, the supporters of all the diddy teams on here would have a fit if they heard this guy.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

they play in 2 different positions, Sancho scored 38 goals in his whole Dortmund career, Ronald scored 36 goal last season