English Premier League 2021/22 Season

On 31/07/2021 at 11:00, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If they are English they are going for inflated fees.

I genuinely think it makes zero business sense.

On 31/07/2021 at 11:27, Sergeant Wilson said:

The only advantage I can see is less international travel. Signing South Americans, Asian or African  players sometimes means an availability issue crops up now and again. I'd live with it though for the likes of Son.

There's a minimum requirement for number of homegrown players in a squad, both in the league and in Europe. Can't remember how many it is, but for some teams it's obviously significant enough to make them pay stupid fees for English players, and also sign reserve goalies they'll never use.

Manchester Utd currently training a minute up the road from me at the University of St Andrews. 

All the big guns.  Private plane landed at Leuchars army base yesterday.

Clearly the drive from Edinburgh would have been a little taxing.

Slumming it in the Old Course Hotel.  Be no suprise if they mysteriously beat the ballot to get on the Gowf course.

Often wondered who you contact to get a landing slot at the ex raf base.

A bounce game against Dundee Utd might happen.

Edited by superbigal

I see Kane has flounced again. 

I get the point about him being kept against his will and all that, but at the same time these sort of things should be thought about if you're going to sign six-year contracts. They are as much for the club's benefit as they are for the player's. 

Perhaps he should offer to buy it out like Andy Webster did, if he really wants his move. Not sure if there's a buyout clause if the player needs to pay the fee or if they simply buy out the remainder of the wages, right enough. 

I see Kane has flounced again. 
I get the point about him being kept against his will and all that, but at the same time these sort of things should be thought about if you're going to sign six-year contracts. They are as much for the club's benefit as they are for the player's. 
Perhaps he should offer to buy it out like Andy Webster did, if he really wants his move. Not sure if there's a buyout clause if the player needs to pay the fee or if they simply buy out the remainder of the wages, right enough. 
I think there was meant to be a buyout clause but a gentleman's agreement saw it removed - now Levy is not standing by the gentleman's agreement.

He always has been a c**t - Kane should never have trusted him.

He’s apparently coming back at the end of the week and saying it’s all been a misunderstanding and blown out of proportion.

So essentially humiliating climb down by a player trying to force a move where no club has even put a bid in for him.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Chelsea bid £85m for Lukaku.

£57m more than they sold him first 7 years ago.

Inter holding out for £120m.

It's just stupid money.

In any case I hought they wanted Haaland?

Also £75 million more than they originally bought him for ten years ago.

You could have a team of all stars if you put together all the players Mourinho punted at Chelsea.

Guest TheJTS98
6 hours ago, mizfit said:

His brother must be the worst agent on the planet.

Seems like it.

Bizarre anyone is taking Kane's side here at all. He signed a very long contract with no release clause. He doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

A semi-competent agent would have looked a couple of years down the line and left him a way out. Either by signing a shorter contract or making sure the release clause was in black and white. Spurs becoming a properly successful club was never a banker, and it seems thoroughly naive for him to have done this.

This just seems completely amateurish. Trusting in a 'gentleman's agreement' in football is amazingly stupid. And we don't know one ever existed anyway. His lot just say one did.

Bizarre to me that things like this can happen. Any of us diddies from on here could have told Kane - 'Don't sign a contract that long with no release if you think you might want to leave before you're thirty. Maybe worth taking a slightly lower wage and keeping your options open.' It's daft.

I'd have been happy to do so for a mere 10%.

He's boxed himself in and Spurs probably couldn't believe their luck when he signed.

For all the stick agents (rightly) get, situations like this show the value of a good one for a player's career, and the cost of a bad one. A good agent would have left the door open for a move without the need to spend a summer wrangling and nail-biting while potentially trashing his reputation at the club he's been at most of his life. This is not a situation that was hard to predict.

Edited by TheJTS98

It's just stupid money.

In any case I thought they wanted Haaland?

Just another example of how bonkers the game has become down south. We’ve got another month of this on SSN until the transfer window closes. Another 4 weeks of panic buying at crazy inflated fees to keep up with the Jones’s. Mental.

6 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Seems like it.

Bizarre anyone is taking Kane's side here at all. He signed a very long contract with no release clause. He doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

A semi-competent agent would have looked a couple of years down the line and left him a way out. Either by signing a shorter contract or making sure the release clause was in black and white. Spurs becoming a properly successful club was never a banker, and it seems thoroughly naive for him to have done this.

This just seems completely amateurish. Trusting in a 'gentleman's agreement' in football is amazingly stupid. And we don't know one ever existed anyway. His lot just say one did.

Bizarre to me that things like this can happen. Any of us diddies from on here could have told Kane - 'Don't sign a contract that long with no release if you think you might want to leave before you're thirty. Maybe worth taking a slightly lower wage and keeping your options open.' It's daft.

I'd have been happy to do so for a mere 10%.

He's boxed himself in and Spurs probably couldn't believe their luck when he signed.

For all the stick agents (rightly) get, situations like this show the value of a good one for a player's career, and the cost of a bad one. A good agent would have left the door open for a move without the need to spend a summer wrangling and nail-biting while potentially trashing his reputation at the club he's been at most of his life. This is not a situation that was hard to predict.

He didn't want to leave. Spurs promised him they'll invest in the squad to challenge for trophies.

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's just stupid money.

In any case I thought they wanted Haaland?

I think they're willing to roll the dice on getting Haaland next year.

Madrid want Mbappe and Barca are skint.

If Kane really did believe a "gentleman's agreement", which may or may not exist, was ever going to stand up with Daniel Levy, he really is every bit as gormless as his slack-jawed, glazed appearance on the pitch leaves to to believe he is.