Women's football

djchapsticks

It doesn't look like it is ready to implement in FM22 but it appears in the next few years we are going to be seeing extensive women's leagues added to the FM world.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-gaming-exclusives-womens-football-is-coming-to-the-football-manager-series-20210722.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Thoughts on this?

I'm quite ambivalent about it. It's definitely a good idea and understand the intention to try and promote women's football mainstream but not sure what the interest and uptake on it will be for the effort expended. 

Looking at other forums, it seems to have annoyed some utter VL’s so I’m all for it tbh.

More generally, I think it’s an interesting idea, and even if I don’t use it, will be good to have the option. I think it’ll be a fun idea to follow the Jim Chapman/Phil Neville route by starting out with women’s football and then heading off to men’s. And if they’re going to have different attributes/transfer models for it, it’ll add a bit of challenge navigating them.

In any case, women’s football seems to be growing so even if there isn’t demand for it commercially just now, there will be soon enough. 

I was quite impressed with the official article SI brought out to be honest.  Only disappointing part is that there's no real timeline on it, but that at least shows that they're doing exactly what they should - treating it respectfully and actually doing it right, rather than just chucking up a women's database.  Perhaps most interesting is them getting out in front of the money issues and saying that they just don't care.  I expect this will run at a significant loss for them, but they clearly want to make it happen, so good for them.

Personally, I don't think I'd be desperate to go and do a women's league save, but the fact that they're keeping the two side-by-side leads to some interesting possibilities to jump into what will essentially (hopefully) be a completely different world. I'd be interested in a save where you're flitting back and forth.

I wonder if the woman's stats will be on the same scale as men's. Like.. will someone like Lucy Bronze get, I dunno, 15 for strength because she can outmuscle players in the women's game or will she get a 4 because she'd be skelped intae next week by Declan Gallagher in the men's game.

I've thought this could be added as DLC for a while now and I like it. Does no-one any harm, can be an interesting way to play the game, promotes women's fitba and there will be no requirement to load up the league if ye don't want it.

If they could now allow you to be a youth team/reserve manager as well that'd be great for career saves. 

With guys like Timo sorting out all the leagues in the world on the editor, and the way the Canadian league was added as DLC a coupla year ago after release, I'm surprised they don't release the game with a handful of leagues and just offer all the others as DLC

On 24/07/2021 at 23:48, Merkland Red said:

Will never use it. No issue with it being there for anyone who wishes to use it. Can't understand the folk getting upset by it.

Same. Most folk who are actually getting upset about it are daft wee twats.

FM already covers pretty much every league worth covering and for the other leagues, there's an extensive and amazingly well researched team of people who provide then at no additional cost.

I think the women's game is going to be much harder to get the balance of correct. For example, you've seen how dominant Glasgow City are in Scotland over the past 10 or 12 years. They'd routinely be spanking clubs in the league by double figures but when they get to the business end of the CL, were subject to doings themselves.

The ability chasm within the women's game is still confined in many leading countries to the same league in comparison to the mens game where clubs have more or less pretty much established their level and getting that to reflect accurately will be harder.  Particularly as even the shite clubs in the top league who get pumped by 8 or 9 by better sides could easily dish those same level of doings out to other teams a league below them.