Criminalizing Cat Calling/Wolf Whistling

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That might be something that needs to be more widely known in that case. I assume a lot of women won't report it because they fear the site manager is the same type of sleaze ball as the guy whistling. 

Yeah I doubt that many women would be so confrontational to go and barge into site office and report it and even then the culprit could deny it. Would be a red car offence for all sites though and they’d tell you they in site induction if you were working near a busy public walkway.

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

This thread, like so many others, is going a bit far.

100% agree that wolf whistling, comments etc are not on but don't start telling me we're not allowed to look at women now.

That's what your bail conditions say. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

I love this idea that some men are now going to pretend they don't understand what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. :lol:

It reminds me of the Rangers fans years ago pleading to be told "well what ARE we allowed to sing?".

If you need to be told........

You talk some rubbish. I know perfectly well how to behave without you telling me, no matter how cleverly you think you're putting it.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

100% agree that wolf whistling, comments etc are not on but don't start telling me we're not allowed to look at women now.

For the first 5 pages or so I think there was a consensus that it's not on. It isn't a compliment or a laugh - but it does happen and a few of us have experiences of it. It was all nice and gentle.

Then came the "I'd tell them to their face it was wrong" "I'd grass them to the police" comments from Oaksoft and the whole nature of it changed from the behaviour of those doing the stuff, to the behaviour of those who are there when it happens. It all went a bit silly after that.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

40% of construction graduates at my uni are female, but I guess training to be a construction manager or quantity surveyor is a different culture than being on site.

Definitely, and you see it in the industry leadership where there are loads of women. They come in through graduate routes or through management, HR, that kind of thing. It's  with general labourers and in apprenticeships for joiners, electricians, plumbers etc that it's still very imbalanced.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Who's saying you can't look at women?

If the answer is Oaksoft then there's probably a lesson there.

I’d like to think that if I was a woman in that situation, I would react as a man would to verbal abuse ie: “Aye, in your dreams, pal” or “You wouldn’t last more than a minute”. That could go some way to diffusing the situation and also, in the case of female workers on site, endear them to their male colleagues

My younger sister was a joy to watch when she'd had a few vodkas and some gobshite tried it on in years gone by. The best by far was when one of the local neds had said something, which resulted in her spending a solid 45 minutes standing over him (she's 5'10" versus wee Ned's 5'7" or so) giving him absolute dog's abuse about his behaviour, his attitude towards women and even his height, whilst his mates sniggered away in the background. He apparently tried to leave twice but she hadn't finished with him. Glorious stuff.

1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

I’d like to think that if I was a woman in that situation, I would react as a man would to verbal abuse ie: “Aye, in your dreams, pal” or “You wouldn’t last more than a minute”. That could go some way to diffusing the situation and also, in the case of female workers on site, endear them to their male colleagues

So what you are saying is men shouldn't change their behaviour, women should try and come up with solutions to men's behaviour and, ideally, join in and endorse it?

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

So what you are saying is men shouldn't change their behaviour, women should try and come up with solutions to men's behaviour and, ideally, join in and endorse it?

I was hoping he was making a play on his username.

1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

But I infer from your post that you're not a woman though. So you don't know what it's like. How about listening to women when they tell you how hard it is for them to shout back? And do you seriously think shouting back is going to reduce the frequency of it anyway?

Seriously. Just listen to women.

We need the gay lads to be stepping up here TBH - stroking straight guys hair and  whispering in their ears in bars, feeling their arses and pervy dancing in nightclubs, shouting at lone straight males in the street about their cock size in front of groups of other gay guys etc give it a month and see where we are 

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You do realise that you are complaining about me being willing to report someone for sexually harassing a woman right? :blink:

That was a direct response to detournement raising in the first place.

I'm not sure you've thought this post of yours through at all.

Detournement asked if you had ever spent time with contractors or on a building site. Your answers went down the "If I was in charge of the company" route. 

If you were on a site and someone did wolf whistle, no way you would be grassing them up or reporting it. Not in a million years. Nor would you be angrily squaring up to anyone. In the be real world that wouldn't happen. 

Not sure if your answer was genuinely what you imagined you might do, or good old fashioned virtue signalling. 

People do get carried away with some of this stuff. Yes, some people do behave badly at times, but there needs to be a level of calm. 

Whistling at a woman walking down the street is real saddo behaviour, but do I believe it always results in a immense trauma and requires think tanks, navel gazing and psychological self-flagellation from all men because “we are all responsible”? 

No. Get a grip. 

Edited by Thorongil

22 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has anyone on here ever wolf-whistled anyone?

I’m just wondering what percentage of people do this. Is it exclusively confined to tradesmen and white-van-man types?

I can’t recall the last time I heard anyone wolf-whistling someone. This is possibly because I am not a woman and I haven’t worked on a building site since the ‘90s. 

Who are these people?

It’s the lowest common denominator of the lowest common denominator. Complete saddoes. Thing is, that out of millions of people, they will be fairly numerous.

On 21/07/2021 at 21:06, oaksoft said:

Here's a thought.

Instead of getting all worked up over how a law might be worded, why don't men just stop harassing women in the street.

And those of us who see other blokes harassing women in the street, why don't the rest of us pull them up on it.

Then we won't need a law at all.

And you'll be able to sleep at night without worrying.

How many women need to tell us that they feel uncomfortable walking down the street before the rest of us fix that for them?

If cat calling and wolf whistling stopped overnight, people would still claim it “happens all the time” and “remains a massive problem”. 

I don’t engage in these behaviours myself and I’m not responsible for those who do, or for solving the problem. No, I won’t risk a broken jaw on account of someone whistling. 

Edited by Thorongil

On 21/07/2021 at 16:15, oaksoft said:

There's something seriously wrong with a large section of our male population who either think it's OK for them to be harassing women as they go about their daily business or who think it's fine for others to do it.

There's something wrong that so many have these predatory tendencies and/or don't realise that is predatory.

When did so many men get this idea that they were entitled to do whatever the hell they wanted when it came to women and that women should just "get a sense of humour" or "see it as a compliment"?

Are we teaching young boys anything about the idea of consent and male entitlement at primary school?

Are men teaching their boys this stuff?

If my son engaged in anything like that I'd kick his arse for a fortnight.

I always assumed other men would do the same with their sons.

Maybe they don't.

As men, we have a fundamental problem with our entitlement complexes.

It's pretty depressing that we're even having this conversation in 2021.

Entitlement can be empowering. I’m entitled to do anything I like within the law abs that’s a good thing. It’s called being free. With that freedom you need to learn to exercise good judgement. 

That’s what I’m teaching my son. And my daughter. My son is innocent and I’m not interested in giving him some kind of complex because he’s male, nor I teaching my daughter to be some kid of fearful victim because she’s female. 

They are equal and I hope to they go into the world as adults as good people with good judgment. If they take an interest in gender politics themselves that’s up to them, but I’m not interested.