Criminalizing Cat Calling/Wolf Whistling

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Many years ago I had a summer job on the roads at Stirling Council. Sometimes you heard on the radio something like

"Stevie, where are you?"

"Just out on an F.I., back in half an hour"

An F.I. was reserved for sunny days when the girls were out and about wearing skimpy outfits. Stood for Fanny Inspection, where a guy or guys would get in a council van and drive about, looking at women. One guy in particular (not me) was prone to slowing down and wolf whistling all the time at passing girls. 

I've spent 1 day of my life cutting about in a white van and the driver did this several times, I called him out for being a scumbo considering the girls were probably teenagers anyway and he's a grown man with wife and kids but he genuinely didn't see what was creepy about it at all, said the girls probably took it as a compliment... 

16 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not taking issue with how you would word a law. It's pretty easy to come up with a definition for anything. I'm asking how we would decide which types of offensive comments would be criminalised and which wouldn't.

Well, the first step would be the victim making a complaint. Then it would be whether a reasonable person would be justified in thinking that the offender 'created an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment' for her. We're talking about somebody getting shouted or whistled at on the street by a complete stranger here. The next step is being followed by creeps in a car or van doing the same, then being followed on the pavement walking home.

Edited by welshbairn

The "wolf whistle" must be a dying art too. You never see anyone firing the digits into their mouth and somehow producing an unfathomable decibel level... It something I, as a 35 year old man, am hopelessly unable to do.

As for actually whistling at females in the street.... They should have a section of  the daily newspapers where any utter VL participating should have their face printed so their no doubt already terminally bored partner can shame them further.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Anyone who thinks it’s harmless fun is an absolute moron.

I don’t think police should hang around in any specific areas looking for it; 1 because I don’t trust the police and 2 it can happen literally anywhere so what would be the point in that?

I wouldn’t be creating a new offence for it but it should definitely come under sexual harassment.

My girlfriend this deals with it all the time in Glasgow so much so that she changes what she’s wearing if she’s going to be walking anywhere alone because it makes her that uncomfortable.

If the police can afford to shove hundreds of officers at Livingston vs Hibs on a Sunday afternoon in front of 5000 supporters they can spend a bit of time processing fines for weird men being total fucking creeps and making young lassies feel unsafe in the streets.

Do they not charge the clubs for that?

As for actually whistling at females in the street.... They should have a section of  the daily newspapers where any utter VL participating should have their face printed so their no doubt already terminally bored partner can shame them further.

It would have to be in "The Sun" as it's the only thing these gammons read.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The "wolf whistle" must be a dying art too. You never see anyone firing the digits into their mouth and somehow producing an unfathomable decibel level... It something I, as a 35 year old man, am hopelessly unable to do.

Yer maw enjoys the digits firing in and somehow producing an unfathomable decibel level...

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yer maw enjoys the digits firing in and somehow producing an unfathomable decibel level...

I have become the Kevin De Bruyne of the forum recently.... Setting up open goals all over the place

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Well, the first step would be the victim making a complaint. Then it would be whether a reasonable person would be justified in thinking that the offender 'created an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment' for her. We're talking about somebody getting shouted or whistled at on the street by a complete stranger here. The next step is being followed by creeps in a car or van doing the same, then being followed on the pavement walking home.

I'm really not sure if you're wilfully misunderstanding what I'm saying or if I'm not explaining myself clearly enough.

I'm not talking about the steps to convict someone.

I'm saying there are different types of offensive or disrespectful comments and behaviours. I'm asking how we would make decisions about which types of offensive comments are criminal and which are just the "hurly burly of everyday interaction". 

Take Shandon Par's example, of a fat jogger taking stick. Is someone shouting "nice arse" at a woman fundamentally different to someone shouting "fat arse" to a man? Should one be criminal and the other not? And how are you deciding that so that we'd know which types of offensive behaviour would be criminalised in the future? 

Or are you saying that any behaviour that someone thinks is offensive should be a criminal act?

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm really not sure if you're wilfully misunderstanding what I'm saying or if I'm not explaining myself clearly enough.

I'm not talking about the steps to convict someone.

I'm saying there are different types of offensive or disrespectful comments and behaviours. I'm asking how we would make decisions about which types of offensive comments are criminal and which are just the "hurly burly of everyday interaction". 

Take Shandon Par's example, of a fat jogger taking stick. Is someone shouting "nice arse" at a woman fundamentally different to someone shouting "fat arse" to a man? Should one be criminal and the other not? And how are you deciding that so that we'd know which types of offensive behaviour would be criminalised in the future? 

Or are you saying that any behaviour that someone thinks is offensive should be a criminal act?

No, as I said, it would be whether a reasonable person would consider it out of order. We're not going to agree here, and I've stuff to do anyway.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

I used to work on a construction site in Middlesbrough town centre where we were building a high-rise. 

A couple of days into the job, this stunning 10/10 lass walks past and waits at the bus stop, and I mean Ferrari chassis, fantastic set of shelves, and legs right up to her arse. 

Some of the lads start nudging each other and smirking, "I'd love to have a go on her" etc being banded around. This goes on for a couple of minutes until one of the guys finally wolf whistles and shouts something lewd at her. The lass tried to ignore it but you could see her shuffling uncomfortably on the bus stop seat as she pretended not to hear anything. 

To my dismay, it looks like the gang is only getting rowdier. This old fat fella on the site starts unzipping his trousers, whips his cock out and windmilling it while shouting "you can have a go on this any time you like love!". Meanwhile, another guy, who was overweight and used to go on about "forriners" all the time, proceeds to whip his breeks off and wave them over his head while making gorilla noises. 

I had had enough at this point. This wasn't right, and it looked to me that the lass was now in tears, and put her head in her hands to try and block out the sickening abuse. 

I loudly proclaimed "oy Nigel, Nigel, and Steve. Leave that poor lass alone."

It was at this point all three cavemen rushed me at once. They couldn't even fight fair. This is where my natural instinct for fighting takes over. You could tell by the nick of these lads that they had been in plenty of bar brawls over the years, but that was all they are, bullies and brusiers who always pick on the little guy. 

The wolf whistler was taken care of with a single uppercut right on his beak (one of my colleagues shouted "shot fella!) at this point, the old fat fella received a roundhouse kick right in the exposed stones, and breeks, while putting up the best fight, couldn't handle the flurry of expert jabs that clocked him one right after the other. 

With justice served, I looked to get back to work. It's then I heard someone shout "Lad, over here!"

It's the lass waiting at the bus stop, as I look at her she then wolf whistles at me and gestures for me to come over. I run over and apologise for my colleagues' behaviour and ask if she is okay.

With a swish of her hair she said "It's Miller, Sienna Miller, and now I've met you I'm more than okay." The rest, as they say, is history.

Not a chance this happened 

3 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

I used to work on a construction site in Middlesbrough town centre where we were building a high-rise. 

A couple of days into the job, this stunning 10/10 lass walks past and waits at the bus stop, and I mean Ferrari chassis, fantastic set of shelves, and legs right up to her arse. 

Some of the lads start nudging each other and smirking, "I'd love to have a go on her" etc being banded around. This goes on for a couple of minutes until one of the guys finally wolf whistles and shouts something lewd at her. The lass tried to ignore it but you could see her shuffling uncomfortably on the bus stop seat as she pretended not to hear anything. 

To my dismay, it looks like the gang is only getting rowdier. This old fat fella on the site starts unzipping his trousers, whips his cock out and windmilling it while shouting "you can have a go on this any time you like love!". Meanwhile, another guy, who was overweight and used to go on about "forriners" all the time, proceeds to whip his breeks off and wave them over his head while making gorilla noises. 

I had had enough at this point. This wasn't right, and it looked to me that the lass was now in tears, and put her head in her hands to try and block out the sickening abuse. 

I loudly proclaimed "oy Nigel, Nigel, and Steve. Leave that poor lass alone."

It was at this point all three cavemen rushed me at once. They couldn't even fight fair. This is where my natural instinct for fighting takes over. You could tell by the nick of these lads that they had been in plenty of bar brawls over the years, but that was all they are, bullies and brusiers who always pick on the little guy. 

The wolf whistler was taken care of with a single uppercut right on his beak (one of my colleagues shouted "shot fella!) at this point, the old fat fella received a roundhouse kick right in the exposed stones, and breeks, while putting up the best fight, couldn't handle the flurry of expert jabs that clocked him one right after the other. 

With justice served, I looked to get back to work. It's then I heard someone shout "Lad, over here!"

It's the lass waiting at the bus stop, as I look at her she then wolf whistles at me and gestures for me to come over. I run over and apologise for my colleagues' behaviour and ask if she is okay.

With a swish of her hair she said "It's Miller, Sienna Miller, and now I've met you big boy I'm more than okay." The rest, as they say, is history.

Didnt Read Lol Storm Trooper GIF

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Do they not charge the clubs for that?

Yeah but it obviously still uses their resource regardless of where it’s funded by, instead of using hundreds of excess bellends there they could put their time to better use.

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No, as I said, it would be whether a reasonable person would consider it out of order. We're not going to agree here, and I've stuff to do anyway.

Yeah, I suspect not. Last word... you see the problem I'm getting at though right. "Out of order" is entirely subjective. So "reasonable people" would disagree on what "out of order" is.  Reasonable people might also disagree on whether a person is guilty of another crime, like murder, but at the very least, we all understand unequivocally what murder is and agree on the definition.

You'd be asking the jury to effectively decide whether the offense someone has been accused of is even a crime, rather than just whether they're actually guilty of a well-defined crime.

Edited by Gordon EF