Criminalizing Cat Calling/Wolf Whistling

It's clearly arse hole behaviour but it's nonsense to criminalise isolated incidents. If it's stepping over the line into harassment then I'd assume there are already laws to deal with it.

As much as it's tempting, I don't think we should really be criminalising arse holes.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If someone has to put up with this every day on the way to work, a law would give them the means to stop it. 

As Gordon EF has said, if it's happening every day then it's clearly harassment and we have laws that already deal with it. 

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Many years ago I had a summer job on the roads at Stirling Council. Sometimes you heard on the radio something like

"Stevie, where are you?"

"Just out on an F.I., back in half an hour"

An F.I. was reserved for sunny days when the girls were out and about wearing skimpy outfits. Stood for Fanny Inspection, where a guy or guys would get in a council van and drive about, looking at women. One guy in particular (not me) was prone to slowing down and wolf whistling all the time at passing girls. 

I played football with a guy who apparently would drive past women in his van and shout - pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy.

He was a part time bouncer in a nightclub in Glasgow solely for the reason of looking at young girls in short skirts.

A complete wrong’un. 

New YouGov research finds that the majority (56%) of Britons consider wolf-whistling to be “a compliment and just a bit of harmless fun.” This is more than twice the proportion who consider it to be “sexist and completely unacceptable” (23%). A further 21% of Brits don’t know either way.

The research shows that age is more likely than gender to determine someone's views on wolf-whistling. While men and women are essentially equally likely to think wolf-whistling is fine (55% and 56% respectively) or unacceptable (22% and 24%), differences emerge between the generations.

The youngest Britons surveyed – those aged 18-24 – were the only group more likely to think wolf-whistling is sexist instead of harmess (38% vs 32%). However, each subsequent age group becomes increasingly more likely to hold more positive views, culminating in those aged 65+, where three quarters (76%) say that wolf-whistling is harmless fun compared to just 13% who think it is sexist.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/07/07/wolf-whistling-compliment-and-just-bit-harmless-fu

Age%20and%20gender%20wolf%20whistling-01.png

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Anyway, who had WATTOO in the "First to deflect away from the issue" sweep? 

*checks notes*

Ah yes, everybody. 

The usual suspects all playing up to each other even though they haven't got a bloody clue about anything.

Try answering a post sometimes instead of attacking the poster with your child like sanctimonious drivel that has now become rather tiresome, to say the least............

Just now, WATTOO said:

The usual suspects all playing up to each other even though they haven't got a bloody clue about anything.

Try answering a post sometimes instead of attacking the poster with your child like sanctimonious drivel that has now become rather tiresome, to say the least............

I did answer your post, you wanted cocaine use criminalised - is this not already criminalised? Are police not capable of arresting people for cocaine use whilst also getting creepy b*****ds that whistle at women in the street telt? Why is it a one or the other thing for you?

Then you can explain why you felt the need to deflect from the subject matter onto things that are entirely unrelated.

And an ellipsis is just 3 dots...

24 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's clearly arse hole behaviour but it's nonsense to criminalise isolated incidents. If it's stepping over the line into harassment then I'd assume there are already laws to deal with it.

As much as it's tempting, I don't think we should really be criminalising arse holes.

I don't think there's much difference between shouting racial abuse at someone to shouting "Look at the the arse on that!" when a fat lass passes by. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I did answer your post, you wanted cocaine use criminalised - is this not already criminalised? Are police not capable of arresting people for cocaine use whilst also getting creepy b*****ds that whistle at women in the street telt? Why is it a one or the other thing for you?

Then you can explain why you felt the need to deflect from the subject matter onto things that are entirely unrelated.

And an ellipsis is just 3 dots...

You didn't address my points on violent crime and organised crime being leniently dealt with,  the point I was making is that the Police and the PF / courts already have enough on their plate with serious stuff that isn't being properly dealt with to then stick in all this additional trivial stuff.

As for the cocaine question, look at the penalties for possession and even supply in this country and compare them to our European neighbours (especially Eastern Europe) and then tell me that we're seriously dealing with the issue.

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Can't remember the thread, but Wattoo was trying to justify dodgy behaviour by saying he used to casually do this as a sign of affection or something, then backtracked with "aye but only to women I knew" or similar.

😂

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think there's much difference between shouting racial abuse at someone to shouting "Look at the the arse on that!" when a fat lass passes by. 

There's a whole spectrum of offensive and disrespectful comments people can make to each other and you'll find pretty significant disagreement between people about where each different comment fits on that spectrum and where any potential line of criminality should sit on that spectrum.

In all seriousness, I do find it quite difficult to come to a judgement about these things but personally, I tend to come down on the side that we shouldn't be criminalising things people say unless they're verging into harassment or incitement to violence. Even if the things being said are fairly abhorrent.

The fact that you simply can't get agreement between any significantly large group of people on what's actually offensive, never mind offensive enough to be criminal, to me, is a sign that we shouldn't be criminalising this stuff.

Plenty of people are happy to criminalise stuff they don't like but would be unhappy criminalising stuff they think is fine but someone else doesn't like.

Just now, WATTOO said:

You didn't address my points on violent crime and organised crime being leniently dealt with,  the point I was making is that the Police and the PF / courts already have enough on their plate with serious stuff that isn't being properly dealt with to then stick in all this additional trivial stuff.

As for the cocaine question, look at the penalties for possession and even supply in this country and compare them to our European neighbours (especially Eastern Europe) and then tell me that we're seriously dealing with the issue.

I didn't address your points on violent crime because they are not relevant to the thread - it's whataboutery you've thrown up (probably because you've whistled at women in the past and see nothing wrong with it). If the courts have enough on their plate then I guess we'll just never create another law in case they have too much work? As I've said, I don't want another law brought in here but if women or men feel they are being harassed I'd like to see it dealt with regardless if the Procurator Fiscal has "enough on their plate" lol. 

Aw yeah, cocaine is famously not a problem in Eastern Europe. The war on drugs is a complete lol across the world, we'll never deal with it by criminalising people. 

Perhaps you can give us your views on the thread instead of trying to change the subject.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

😂

Actually what "Wattoo" said was that in a crowded nightclub when talking to a girl that he knew / was with, had nobody ever pushed their hair back to speak into their ear, it was pretty normal, everyday behaviour for any normal person, however was twisted as being some sort of "sex fiend" by our usual suspects.

It then grew arms and legs and turned in to "stroking their hair" which was never said but of course why let the truth get in the way of a good story as they say..........

Was working outside for last couple of days near a gym. Opposite a building site full of buildery types. Various girls walking by wearing little and looking in great shape and not a single wolf whistle etc. They did give some old chubby jogger some abuse though and he went mental, calling them down for a square go. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't address your points on violent crime because they are not relevant to the thread - it's whataboutery you've thrown up (probably because you've whistled at women in the past and see nothing wrong with it). If the courts have enough on their plate then I guess we'll just never create another law in case they have too much work? As I've said, I don't want another law brought in here but if women or men feel they are being harassed I'd like to see it dealt with regardless if the Procurator Fiscal has "enough on their plate" lol. 

Aw yeah, cocaine is famously not a problem in Eastern Europe. The war on drugs is a complete lol across the world, we'll never deal with it by criminalising people. 

Perhaps you can give us your views on the thread instead of trying to change the subject.

Have I, Aye ?

Seems you know a lot about me.

Try reading my original post on this subject for my views.