Criminalizing Cat Calling/Wolf Whistling

Just heard on the radio that there are plans to criminalize cat calling and wolf whistling.

Cat calling is definitely the sign of an absolute moron but the women on the radio texting in suggesting police should be hanging about outside building sites an industrial areas waiting for someone to be wolf whistled is just utterly ludicrous.

A gay guy also called in to talk about him and his boyfriend wolf whistle men in the street and thought that it was harmless fun yet thought it was degrading and nasty to wolf whistle females, I don't see the difference?

What's the P&B consensus should we be expecting an already stretched police force to deal with this and how would they go about getting convictions for cat calling?

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:
3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
We need to criminalise your use of the letter Z here.

Typed out on my phone with auto correct on, I apologise profusely.

Thats all right love. Now put your knickers on and make us a cup of tea. 

If you can't let an attractive person pass you in the street without harassing them you're probably a pervert and a wrong 'un. I don't think we need police patrols going past building sites to deal with it though. This is essentially the olden days version of creepy men constantly commenting on the twitter feeds of attractive females in the (entirely misplaced and delusional) hope they'll one day get a shag out of it. I feel it can be dealt with in a similar fashion and a simple retort of "I'm not going to shag you m8" from the victim should suitably embarrass the cat caller in front of his similarly creepy pals. 

If you can't let an attractive person pass you in the street without harassing them you're probably a pervert and a wrong 'un. I don't think we need police patrols going past building sites to deal with it though. This is essentially the olden days version of creepy men constantly commenting on the twitter feeds of attractive females in the (entirely misplaced and delusional) hope they'll one day get a shag out of it. I feel it can be dealt with in a similar fashion and a simple retort of "I'm not going to shag you m8" from the victim should suitably embarrass the cat caller in front of his similarly creepy pals. 
Agreed, guys should definitely be self policing this shite aswell but it doesn't need police patrols.

20 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Just heard on the radio that there are plans to criminalize cat calling and wolf whistling.

Cat calling is definitely the sign of an absolute moron but the women on the radio texting in suggesting police should be hanging about outside building sites an industrial areas waiting for someone to be wolf whistled is just utterly ludicrous.

A gay guy also called in to talk about him and his boyfriend wolf whistle men in the street and thought that it was harmless fun yet thought it was degrading and nasty to wolf whistle females, I don't see the difference?

What's the P&B consensus should we be expecting an already stretched police force to deal with this and how would they go about getting convictions for cat calling?

The issue is not so much the odd idiot who shouts / whistles stuff at women, it's more the fact that the criminal justice system is an utter joke where "real crimes" are more or less ignored or the guilty get off with complete jokes of sentences.

If we can start clamping down on violent crime, organised crime and criminalise the like of cocaine use, then at that point by all means start tackling the "nuisance" stuff such as this, however until this point it's just a complete joke I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If someone has to put up with this every day on the way to work, a law would give them the means to stop it. 

This, if it's a problem report it. 

There are far bigger fish to fry you only have to look at the Home office select committee appearance and Lord Frosts statement to realise we are being ruled by people with limited mental capacity let's not start inventing work for them.

Many years ago I had a summer job on the roads at Stirling Council. Sometimes you heard on the radio something like

"Stevie, where are you?"

"Just out on an F.I., back in half an hour"

An F.I. was reserved for sunny days when the girls were out and about wearing skimpy outfits. Stood for Fanny Inspection, where a guy or guys would get in a council van and drive about, looking at women. One guy in particular (not me) was prone to slowing down and wolf whistling all the time at passing girls. 

Once worked with a guy who thought he would be smart and shout abuse out the window of my fully sign written works van at a couple of young girls walking along the road.

Don't know where he works now.

Let's bring out the old 'If the guy was hot the woman wouldn't mind' argument and fling it in the mix. I've done it loads of times and never had a bad reaction. 😉

Edited by 2426255

The issue is not so much the odd idiot who shouts / whistles stuff at women, it's more the fact that the criminal justice system is an utter joke where "real crimes" are more or less ignored or the guilty get off with complete jokes of sentences.
If we can start clamping down on violent crime, organised crime and criminalise the like of cocaine use, then at that point by all means start tackling the "nuisance" stuff such as this, however until this point it's just a complete joke I'm afraid.
What about idiots who run their fingers through women's hair in nightclubs?