Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

A huge shock given the strength of the Dutch team. I know things are different compared to a pro race and IIRC they don't have radios etc, but it appears the Dutch were oblivious to the fact that the Austrian was miles up the road on her own. Annemiek van Vleuten broke away late on to take second and initially thought she had won gold.

Kiesenhoffer is an amateur too which makes it all the more remarkable.

Sadly, I missed the race.

IIRC there are no team radios in the Olympics. There should, however, have been motorcycle board updates for the pursuers.

It's up to the road captains, rather than a DS, to know what's going on so the team can decide when and who to chase.

On 23/07/2021 at 11:31, RosspCfc said:

Right see my thing with the Olympics on the BBC, but Red Button aside, there are 207 countries* competing but you'll hear of nothing apart from team GB, on the main coverage. I want to see Germany v Brazil at Handball etc but you've no chance because Jason Kenny is eating his breakfast 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/25/bbc-olympics-coverage-misses-events-after-selling-tv-rights

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Talking pish.

Nope. Beijing happened in almost the exact same timezone and BBC had streams for all sports. Nothing to do with ratings, and everything to do with the IOC deal with Discovery/Eurosport. 

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
5 hours ago, Donathan said:
Gold medal favourite John Rahm out of the golf after his second positive covid test in two months. 

First two PCR tests were negative, third and final one returned a positive. Not enough time for Spain to send a replacement, Patrick Reed taking DeChambeau's spot on the US team.

Oh goodie................an absolute c*nt being replaced by a cheating c*nt.

I saw ex Dunfermline playmaker Istvan Kozma son is in the Hungarian swimming team
This is his 4th Olympics now! He was born in Dunfermline too.

You'd have thought they could have got Freddy Boswell on for a poem

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

First time I've tuned in but enjoy watching the Skateboarding. No clue how they score any of it right enough but it's certainly fun to watch.

The scoring was confusing me, too. 

Bloke does twisty turny thing on a rail, commentator: "wow, that was absolutely amazing!"

Next bloke does exactly the same, commentator: "oh, he'll be disappointed with that".

No idea how they work it out, except you get zero points if you fall off.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The scoring was confusing me, too. 

Bloke does twisty turny thing on a rail, commentator: "wow, that was absolutely amazing!"

Next bloke does exactly the same, commentator: "oh, he'll be disappointed with that".

No idea how they work it out, except you get zero points if you fall off.

Aye that was hard to follow. I think most of the grind moves they do it'll matter if they do an ollie or a nollie then which part of the board they used to connect with the rail. Almost impossible to notice in real time if you're unfamiliar like myself. 

I was confused because one guy would do a really cool flip into a rail but then the next guy would do what looked closer to a normal grind just at a weird angle and that's apparantly much better. Certainly good to watch though! I've always thought Skateboarding looks so much easier than it is compared to some other sports. 

Edited by SANTAN

Aye that was hard to follow. I think most of the grind moves they do it'll matter if they do an ollie or a nollie then which part of the board they used to connect with the rail. Almost impossible to notice in real time if you're unfamiliar like myself. 
I was confused because one guy would do a really cool flip into a rail but then the next guy would do what looked closer to a normal grind just at a weird angle and that's apparantly much better. Certainly good to watch though! I've always thought Skateboarding looks so much easier than it is compared to some other sports. 
Shout out to the first Olympic skateboarder to wrap his balls around one of the rails.

8 hours ago, sparky88 said:

I think this is the least BBC have shown since Athens. It's because the IOC sold the rights for  all of Europe to Discovery. They then sublicensed the ability to have two streams to BBC. 

Not quite. The BBC already had the rights for 2018 and 2020 when Discovery won their pan-European rights (which didn’t apply in the UK and France until 2022). 

As part of the deal to sub-license rights to the 2022 and 2024 games, the BBC sub-licensed rights for 2018 and 2020 to Discovery and restricted themselves to two streams as part of that agreement. The BBC also reportedly paid £110m for 2022/2024, so presumably if they wanted to keep more this time (and/or get more in the next two) that figure would have gone up. 

BBC conducting an extended interview with the family of a team GB silver medalist on their "highlights" show - what fresh new hell is this?!  
They obviously thought he was a shoe in.

On a day of shocks, like in the women's cycling. His 18 year old opponent was a rank outsider, who had to qualify for the last 16, then beat the Worlds no. 1, 2 & Champion to take Gold.

The Brit was beaten, on the day, by a guy who was on an amazing day of form.