Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

Really enjoyed this Olympics for the most part despite the strangeness of having no crowds. 

Eliud Kipchoge is very special. To be winning the marathon with such ease at 37 is nothing short of remarkable.

12 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Really enjoyed this Olympics for the most part despite the strangeness of having no crowds. 

Eliud Kipchoge is very special. To be winning the marathon with such ease at 37 is nothing short of remarkable.

It actually isn’t.  Studies show that endurance running ability is something that fades very slowly with age.  The Tarahoomara people in Mexico run ultras for fun and carry on doing it into old age.

As a species we evolved to be good at endurance  running.  Persistence hunting allowed homosapiens to reliably hunt animals for meat and leave the stronger neanderthals to peter out.

Sad it's over always enjoy the Olympics, even this one under the circumstances. Always provides a welcome distraction from the grind of daily life. Paralympics starts in a couple of weeks so something else to look forward to.

Fourth in the medal table is fantastic, I thought we’d drop off a bit this games but nope.
Love how we keep absolutely smashing bigger countries like France and Germany [emoji636]

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:
1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
You obviously didn't watch the Madison.

I did but anyway that's not relevant to the omnium. Choice for that, like all other events, would have been decided by the data, like it always is. Decision isn't made on sentiment.

I'm sure you're correct but to a layman such as myself, it appeared obvious from both the team pursuit and the madison that it was Archibald who did most of the heavy lifting, therefore I would have assumed an individual endurance event spread over 4 races in 3 hours would be perfect for someone of KA's abilities.

14 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I'm sure you're correct but to a layman such as myself, it appeared obvious from both the team pursuit and the madison that it was Archibald who did most of the heavy lifting, therefore I would have assumed an individual endurance event spread over 4 races in 3 hours would be perfect for someone of KA's abilities.

I think it’s part of the overall plan though. It’s likely she might not have been able to do that heavy lifting if she were cycling later in another individual event as she’d need to conserve her energy/effort. 

Don't think I'll ever tire of watching Kenny in that Kierin final. You can see the exact point where he looks over his shoulder, clocks that he has a few bike lengths of a gap from the Aussie who is also looking over his shoulder, and Kenny thinks "f**k it, let's have a go." Never seen anyone do that in a final before.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't think I'll ever tire of watching Kenny in that Kierin final. You can see the exact point where he looks over his shoulder, clocks that he has a few bike lengths of a gap from the Aussie who is also looking over his shoulder, and Kenny thinks "f**k it, let's have a go." Never seen anyone do that in a final before.

Got a link to it?  Haven’t seen it.

Mrs Back was asking me yesterday why they din’t just drop the hammer and go for it straight away in the sprint events.  She thinks she’s a cycling genius now [emoji23]
I'm sure the Aussie boy would have got his arse kicked by his coaches for leaving that gap.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
6 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Mrs Back was asking me yesterday why they din’t just drop the hammer and go for it straight away in the sprint events.  She thinks she’s a cycling genius now emoji23.png

I'm sure the Aussie boy would have got his arse kicked by his coaches for leaving that gap.

Surprised he didn’t get his baws kicked by the rest of the field.  In a normal Keirin race I don’t see any way Kenny could have won it.

Surprised he didn’t get his baws kicked by the rest of the field.  In a normal Keirin race I don’t see any way Kenny could have won it.
The silver and bronze winners both mentioned him leaving the gap in their interviews.