Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

51 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't think I'll ever tire of watching Kenny in that Kierin final. You can see the exact point where he looks over his shoulder, clocks that he has a few bike lengths of a gap from the Aussie who is also looking over his shoulder, and Kenny thinks "f**k it, let's have a go." Never seen anyone do that in a final before.

I liked hearing Chris Boardman chortling away in the background of the commentary as Kenny was heading for the line.

I do remember him doing something similar in an individual sprint final (Worlds or Europeans) against Gregory Borge, just buggered off into the distance right from the gun and left the big French guy in the dust. Unfortunately he got a dq for coming out over the black line in the final 200m even though his opponent wasn't in sight. 

Pleased we held-off Russia for 4th.

Credit to Tokyo for a very well-run games in unprecedented circumstances. Quite apart from the domestic health concerns: it must feel so sad to have invested all the money, preparation and expectation then had empty venues and no foreign visitors. Think of how London 2012 or Glasgow 2014 would've felt if we could only watch on TV. Might be decades until they get another shot at hosting.

Edited by HibeeJibee

18 minutes ago, Bialystock said:

I liked hearing Chris Boardman chortling away in the background of the commentary as Kenny was heading for the line.

I think this was my favourite commentary of the games, he’s just laughing away with disbelief - I don’t think he says anything during the race at all 🤣

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Left Back said:
Mrs Back was asking me yesterday why they din’t just drop the hammer and go for it straight away in the sprint events.  She thinks she’s a cycling genius now emoji23.png

I'm sure the Aussie boy would have got his arse kicked by his coaches for leaving that gap.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/australian-olympian-matthew-glaetzer-infuriates-malaysian-cycling-fans/news-story/6c411b1e4ed06e51ffd82d6060971f0a

"When the official Australian Olympic Team account shared the result on Twitter, the post was quickly flooded with angry messages from Malaysian fans accusing Glaetzer of impeding Awang.

The Australian’s personal Instagram account was also bombarded with dozens of abusive posts."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Pleased we held-off Russia for 4th.

Credit to Tokyo for a very well-run games in unprecedented circumstances. Quite apart from the domestic health concerns: it must feel so sad to have invested all the money, preparation and expectation then had empty venues and no foreign visitors. Think of how London 2012 or Glasgow 2014 would've felt if we could only watch on TV. Might be decades until they get another shot at hosting.
Fewer and fewer countries are willing to take the risk now of hosting, the costs involved are huge and for Japan had no return in terms of an influx of tourists spending money.

The fact that Brisbane had an unopposed bid for 2032 tells it's own story.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Just watching Jason Kenny in the Keirin again.

I think a lot of people had written him off after some of his performances this week but that proved them wrong.

An absolutely magnificent ride.

"Kenny said he and his Team GB coaches had briefly discussed the possibility of an audacious breakaway. “I said just before the start that ‘if they’re asleep shall we just launch one?’ When the time came and [Glaetzer] left a massive gap, I looked and thought: ‘It’s just too big an opportunity not to try,’ so I launched it and rolled the dice."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/08/jason-kenny-wins-seventh-gold-to-become-most-decorated-british-olympian

Don't think I'll ever tire of watching Kenny in that Kierin final. You can see the exact point where he looks over his shoulder, clocks that he has a few bike lengths of a gap from the Aussie who is also looking over his shoulder, and Kenny thinks "f**k it, let's have a go." Never seen anyone do that in a final before.
He's already clocked the gap & opened up as the durny bike peels off. It's when he has the second look coming off the bend, & sees no reaction, that he goes all in & it's full gas to the line, whether he's caught, or not, as it turned out.

10 minutes ago, kiddy said:
3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

He's already clocked the gap & opened up as the durny bike peels off. It's when he has the second look coming off the bend, & sees no reaction, that he goes all in & it's full gas to the line, whether he's caught, or not, as it turned out.

It was brilliant awareness.  In the split second he sees the Aussie is either writing him off or has massively fucked up he does something no-one expected.  By the time they figured it out he’s removed the out and out sprint from the race and left them all way too much to do.

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It was brilliant awareness.  In the split second he sees the Aussie is either writing him off or has massively fucked up he does something no-one expected.  By the time they figured it out he’s removed the out and out sprint from the race and left them all way too much to do.

Team GB's Jason Kenny makes British Olympic history after seventh gold  medal in Tokyo - Daily Star

3 hours ago, Bialystock said:

I do remember him doing something similar in an individual sprint final (Worlds or Europeans) against Gregory Borge, just buggered off into the distance right from the gun and left the big French guy in the dust. Unfortunately he got a dq for coming out over the black line in the final 200m even though his opponent wasn't in sight. 

Was that not Hoy? Knew Borge had him over a flat out sprint, but he was the Kilo WC/WR holder; so went for it straight from the gun.

9 hours ago, kiddy said:

Was that not Hoy? Knew Borge had him over a flat out sprint, but he was the Kilo WC/WR holder; so went for it straight from the gun.

Hoy might have done it as well but I remember Kenny being interviewed afterwards and saying he would have loved the 3rd leg to go ahead as Borge was blowing out of his arse after that 2nd run. 

Some initial analysis on cost per medal. Not sure if its accurate or not becuase I cant be arsed to check.

image.png.0ff2dbf7415adb891471e22f62902ee8.png

Time to close down Hockey and Rowing IMO.  Plus all the other shite like Archery, Fencing and Badminton. 

ETA >£1m on Archery FFS.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

It's not anywhere a fair comparison for many reasons, but in particular the numbers of athletes needed to win each medal.  For example, in swimming, you could have a single person winning 4 or even 5 medals on their own, but you need a 16 person hockey squad that can only win 1.

21 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Fewer and fewer countries are willing to take the risk now of hosting, the costs involved are huge and for Japan had no return in terms of an influx of tourists spending money.

The fact that Brisbane had an unopposed bid for 2032 tells it's own story.

Aye it was discussed early in this thread. Similar with Commonwealth Games and the Euros.

I looked-up the Commonwealth Games, and apparently Birmingham 2022 next year is likely to be the last Commonwealth Games in the format we've known (mini-Olympics basically)... nobody has bid for 2026 and at 10 days, 20 sports and 5000 athletes has simply become a victim of its own success.

Delhi only had to beat Hamilton for 2010... Glasgow only Abuja for 2014... Gold Coast only Hambantota for 2018... now Birmingham has had to take over from Durban for 2022.

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

It's not anywhere a fair comparison for many reasons, but in particular the numbers of athletes needed to win each medal.  For example, in swimming, you could have a single person winning 4 or even 5 medals on their own, but you need a 16 person hockey squad that can only win 1.

Said, like winning 4/5 individual swimming medals was a piece of pish.