Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

The German bursting into tears every time the horse didn't follow her command prob didn't help. Could understand if she did it at the end but that level of anxiety surely only made things worse with the horse.

Bit of a mad event that with the disciplines included in it, especially with how it's not their own horse and they only get 20 mins with itbefore their run starts, and how it plays out, although that's what I like about the Olympics and these type of events.

The studio guest tonight was the GB Athlete who won a medal in London, she said exactly the same thing that the horse would feel the tension from the rider and it was then a vicious circle of the horse getting more wound up and the rider getting more tense.

5 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The German bursting into tears every time the horse didn't follow her command prob didn't help. Could understand if she did it at the end but that level of anxiety surely only made things worse with the horse.

Bit of a mad event that with the disciplines included in it, especially with how it's not their own horse and they only get 20 mins with itbefore their run starts, and how it plays out, although that's what I like about the Olympics and these type of events.

The next Olympics will have an even more mental modern pentathlon event - the whole thing is done in one place and finished inside 90 minutes. Should be good for spectators but the traditionalists seem quite upset and I think a lot of the competitors don't like the huge changes. 

Just now, Uncle Psychosis said:

The next Olympics will have an even more mental modern pentathlon event - the whole thing is done in one place and finished inside 90 minutes. Should be good for spectators but the traditionalists seem quite upset and I think a lot of the competitors don't like the huge changes. 

That sounds like change for the sake of spectacle  rather than for the good of the sport.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

That sounds like change for the sake of spectacle  rather than for the good of the sport.

Almost certainly. But that's what it's about these days. An additional problem they have is the cost of staging the show jumping bit in particular, apparently its mad expensive and you could fund multiple other sports with what it costs on its own. 

18 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Almost certainly. But that's what it's about these days. An additional problem they have is the cost of staging the show jumping bit in particular, apparently its mad expensive and you could fund multiple other sports with what it costs on its own. 

I know just how expensive 'horsey' shite is but concatenating it into 90 minutes doesn't reduce the cost of the 'horses jumping over gates' bit in the slightest.  You still need the same number of nags and the same course.

Plus Eventing is probably the most expensive event for any games but its combination of jumping, x-country and dressage is probably the most demanding of any sport.  I don't see any call for it to be reduced.

Boardman is one of my favourite co-commentators. He’s really honest and managed to be excited for the GB cyclists without being biased or running down the other nations. He should teach football commentators how to do it! 

Found out today that the surfing at Paris 2024 is taking place just outside the city boundaries.... in Tahiti.
That'll surely impact on young Sky's ambitions to do both that & the skateboarding?

Boardman is one of my favourite co-commentators. He’s really honest and managed to be excited for the GB cyclists without being biased or running down the other nations. He should teach football commentators how to do it! 
Wonder how O'Bree never got a gig like that?

6 minutes ago, kiddy said:
7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:
Found out today that the surfing at Paris 2024 is taking place just outside the city boundaries.... in Tahiti.

That'll surely impact on young Sky's ambitions to do both that & the skateboarding?

The BBC will probably fund a private jet to take her to both events.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I suspect running down the other nations comes from a lack of knowledge about them. The English commentators knowledge seems to start and end with the Barclays- anything more than that and it seems it's Wikipedia level knowledge.

The Olympic commentators on the BBC are pretty excellent, probably because they know what's happening in the entirety of their sport. Personal favourites are the two swimming commentators

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I suspect running down the other nations comes from a lack of knowledge about them. The English commentators knowledge seems to start and end with the Barclays- anything more than that and it seems it's Wikipedia level knowledge.

The Olympic commentators on the BBC are pretty excellent, probably because they know what's happening in the entirety of their sport. Personal favourites are the two swimming commentators

Yeah, I’ve been impressed overall with the commentary on the BBC.