Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Read today's Private Eye that discussed this. The BBC coverage is about a tenth of what it was in 2016 and 2012 as the main broadcasters are Eurosport and Disney+. As such the BBC channels (no red button) and whizzing from sport to sport, and cutting off things half way through to go to the news and regular shows.

The day I finally, totally lost my shit with the BBC was during the last Winter Olympics Mens Ice Hockey semi-final. Not only did they not bother their arse to show the first period, they then, while the match was in play, decided to show a repeat of speed-skating heats, in their fucking entirety, for the third time that day.

I get the 'UK focus' angle, but for fucks sake. Semi final of one of the showpiece events and they are running previously recorded material for the third time rather than showing the match in progress. :angry:

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It really is vomit-inducing.

If she was Russian/American she'd have to go home in the cargo bay, before being taken out the back and shot. 

Here in the UK she'll end up with a peerage and a slot as a competitor on 'Strictly', just so the BBC can run a piece on how wonderful she is every fucking day for six weeks.

Agree completely. The BBC used to be brilliant at covering the olympics, but the sycophantic overly-emotional coverage we get now does my head in.

Its the whole X factor tv effect.

From Claire Baulding welling up (seriously, get her to f**k) when someone's family get interviewed after they win a medal, to the dreadful girl who interviews athletes trackside, and tells every single one how proud we all are of them when they finish 10th.  Ignore them, lets hear from the winners regardless of where they're from. 

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Only saw a bit of it because some TWAT decided to send me some work to do. Looked like taekwando but scored like judo with them going on about ippons. Anyway no problem with adding another contact sport. Karate dancing, though? Total nonsense.

Ippon and waza-ari are just Japanese terms for full points and half points, hence their use in two very different Japanese martial arts. Karate and Taekwondo are basically the exact same martial art but the former is Japanese and the latter Korean.

Taekwondo also has kata but for whatever reason they aren’t in the olympics. Only the actual fighting is. 

27 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

So did anybody compete in both taekwando and karate and if not, why not? Britain has lots of silver medalists in the former, could they have entered the karate for another crack at gold?

Different animals.  It’s like asking a javelin thrower to lob a shot put.  They’re both chucking events after all.

I have a black belt in Karate but I know as much about taekwondo as the javelin chucker know about the shot put.

8 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Ta. I gathered from Donathan's post that they were pretty much the same but clearly not.

Even within Karate there are many styles that are completely different animals to each other.  I have no idea which kata the “Karate dancing” woman was performing today so presume it was from something I haven’t studied and I’ve been lucky enough to study a few as I’ve moved around a lot and been in lots of clubs when I was younger.  I could appreciate how she did it though.

Comparing different martial arts styles is a pointless exercise as they’re all developed to do different things.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree completely. The BBC used to be brilliant at covering the olympics, but the sycophantic overly-emotional coverage we get now does my head in.

Its the whole X factor tv effect.

From Claire Baulding welling up (seriously, get her to f**k) when someone's family get interviewed after they win a medal, to the dreadful girl who interviews athletes trackside, and tells every single one how proud we all are of them when they finish 10th.  Ignore them, lets hear from the winners regardless of where they're from. 

It's excrutiating watching Michael Johnson being asked about some British shotputter that finished 17th. No idea why he wastes time with imbeciles like Balding. They asked folk to send in examples of sporting families today- who gives a shit just show the fucking sport.

14 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

It's excrutiating watching Michael Johnson being asked about some British shotputter that finished 17th. No idea why he wastes time with imbeciles like Balding. They asked folk to send in examples of sporting families today- who gives a shit just show the fucking sport.

Agree, turned it off.

I guess I’m just getting old and this dumbing down of tv for the masses is the future.

48 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The two GB women putting up a great show in the golf, Nelly Korda leads on -15, Jodi Ewart Shadoff is on -1, Mel Reid is on +11.

I think it was Reid that missed the Evian Championship last week to ensure she could prepare properly for the Olympics. 

Not sure how she spent her time, but it appears not to have been productive... 

I think it was Reid that missed the Evian Championship last week to ensure she could prepare properly for the Olympics. 
Being 26 shots off the best score is like me playing a Saturday medal.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Being 26 shots off the best score is like me playing a Saturday medal.

I'm fully in favour of the Olympic Golf being a handicap event.

Scenes as Bryson DeChambeau is beaten by Wee Davie from Clober with a net 54.

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This tactic by GB in the sprint seems to be working,  Handover just before the sprint starts so the sprinter has "fresh" legs.  Haven't noticed if the other teams are doing the same thing.

I noticed that tactic too, and it seems no other team doing that thing. What's the science behind it?