Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Thoght there was foul in the last attempt by Spain.

Doesn't seem much punishment. You foul her and she has to retake? Just giving the goal would be fairer, I think.

Not that it matters too much as I think Britain would have won anyway.

Britain vs Holland in one semi, Argentina vs India in the other. Have to think whoever wins Britain's semi will be favourites for gold.

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Doesn't seem much punishment. You foul her and she has to retake? Just giving the goal would be fairer, I think.

Not that it matters too much as I think Britain would have won anyway.

Britain vs Holland in one semi, Argentina vs India in the other. Have to think whoever wins Britain's semi will be favourites for gold.

I don't know what constitutes a foul but to me the British keeper impeded her.  Pleading there was no contact was nonsense.

I do know that you can be awarded a penalty flick in the penalty shoot-out (it happened in the last final when we beat the Netherlands) but from the commentary they said it's only a penalty flick if the contact is deemed deliberate? 

There was a guy on here the other day saying he used to be a hockey umpire.  Maybe he can clear it up.

I don't know what constitutes a foul but to me the British keeper impeded her.  Pleading there was no contact was nonsense.
I do know that you can be awarded a penalty flick in the penalty shoot-out (it happened in the last final when we beat the Netherlands) but from the commentary they said it's only a penalty flick if the contact is deemed deliberate? 
There was a guy on here the other day saying he used to be a hockey umpire.  Maybe he can clear it up.
If it is deliberate it is a penalty stroke. If it is not then they take it again.

The decision was correct imho.

13 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

BBC coverage is dire.

Only showing the last couple of laps of the women’s 5000m and the last 100m of the men’s steeplechase but hours of that nonsense with horses. 

Get that right in the sea.

Oi!, some of us like that horse nonsense. I agree here’s no need for all the repeats though, they can put all that stuff in the red button and they have a highlights show at night. They have plenty of space to show events in full.

I’m sure it’s been covered in here but the BBC don’t have full rights so have to choose what they show. That explains why something like Emily Campbell winning a gold wasn’t shown or even on live as it was unexpected. Showjumping and equestrian events are all very popular in Britain so they will choose to go for them.

There is something funny about the Olympics TV coverage this year. A lot of people, including me, didn’t realise that the rights had gone to Discovery and Eurosport until the game started. At the same time there are loads of adverts for Discovery Plus, which gives you full access to every event and feed, but I haven’t seen the adverts mention this. There was also a story last week that the BBC preferred for the rights to go to Discovery and reduce the free to air coverage rather than have ITV  or Channel 4 get full terrestrial.

51 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

BBC coverage is dire.

Only showing the last couple of laps of the women’s 5000m and the last 100m of the men’s steeplechase but hours of that nonsense with horses. 

Get that right in the sea.

BBC showing the horse nonsense again.  You know you want to see it.

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’m sure it’s been covered in here but the BBC don’t have full rights so have to choose what they show. That explains why something like Emily Campbell winning a gold wasn’t shown or even on live as it was unexpected. Showjumping and equestrian events are all very popular in Britain so they will choose to go for them.

There is something funny about the Olympics TV coverage this year. A lot of people, including me, didn’t realise that the rights had gone to Discovery and Eurosport until the game started. At the same time there are loads of adverts for Discovery Plus, which gives you full access to every event and feed, but I haven’t seen the adverts mention this. There was also a story last week that the BBC preferred for the rights to go to Discovery and reduce the free to air coverage rather than have ITV  or Channel 4 get full terrestrial.

I just think the Olympics are a missed opportunity when the BBC show them. They are presented as a series of events that 'Team GB' might win a medal in. Most broadcasters do this around the world, but BBC doesn't need to worry about viewing figures because of the way its funded. So I wish they would prioritise medal competitons in all sports.  Showing these events might help boost participation in these sports too.

I do wonder if those stories are more about deflecting criticism of the coverage  (as in, it could be worse ITV could have the rights and tape delay the coverage) Very sceptical ITV would be that interested in the Olympics, given the cost involved and the timezones.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Canada beat the USA 1-0 in the women's football semi final.

Delightful stuff.

We had a bit of England-esque commentary here courtesy of NBC. Apparently the penalty was as "a result of a collision", which is a nice way of saying the US player kicked the Canadian into the air. Steve McManaman would've been proud. 

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

32 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

We had a bit of England-esque commentary here courtesy of NBC. Apparently the penalty was as "a result of a collision", which is a nice way of saying the US player kicked the Canadian into the air. Steve McManaman would've been proud. 

It could be worse :-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/02/nbc-olympic-coverage-peacock-replays-primetime