Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

I've seen people snap handlebars and chains in the sprint events when they come out the blocks due to the amount of torque they put on the bike but I have never seen someones entire bike fall to pieces mid event like that Australian lad. Looked like a touch of wheels at first until the replays. 

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Is it?

This is about keeping sponsors happy.

You don't go on having daily press conferences - will she won't she - keeps her in the public eye.

She really should have withdrawn fullstop.

She's been open with the media when they've sought her out. She's still been in the arena supporting her teammates and they have said that they love having her there. I'm tempted to be sympathetic to to someone with mental health issues. I'm sure she'd rather be competing and winning gold medals, wouldn't she? If her media appearances raise awareness and help to de-stigmatise mental health issues then that can only be good. Good luck to her, I reckon.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Seems to be a lot of angst about the two jumpers sharing the high jump gold, with some adamant that they should have had the jump off to decide the winner. I don't have a problem with them both being declared champion, if you can have a dead heat in other events like sprinting or cycling, why not in the high jump?

I can remember Allan Wells sharing a 100m gold at a Commonwealth Games, with Mike McFarlane IIRC?

That would be a a legitimate dead heat. This wasn't, as they could have been separated by further jumps. They seem likeable guys but should have carried on until there was a gold medal winner. Leaving it up to the contenders is just weird. Of course they're gonna say they want gold!

15 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That would be a a legitimate dead heat. This wasn't, as they could have been separated by further jumps. They seem likeable guys but should have carried on until there was a gold medal winner. Leaving it up to the contenders is just weird. Of course they're gonna say they want gold!

It was a legitimate dead heat though. They had exactly the same record through the competition, had both had 3 failures at the final height and couldn't be separated on countback. Effectively, as everyone had been eliminated, the competition was over.

They could have had a jump-off, but that is not a requirement under the rules. Fair play to them both, I say.

It seemed like they were making up the rules as they went along. If that was in the rules, not doubting you here, just surprising as seems almost impossible that there has never been a dead heat before.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

27 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Seems to be a lot of angst about the two jumpers sharing the high jump gold, with some adamant that they should have had the jump off to decide the winner. I don't have a problem with them both being declared champion, if you can have a dead heat in other events like sprinting or cycling, why not in the high jump?

I can remember Allan Wells sharing a 100m gold at a Commonwealth Games, with Mike McFarlane IIRC?

25 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It was a legitimate dead heat though. They had exactly the same record through the competition, had both had 3 failures at the final height and couldn't be separated on countback. Effectively, as everyone had been eliminated, the competition was over.

They could have had a jump-off, but that is not a requirement under the rules. Fair play to them both, I say.

But a jump off entails DROPPING the height of the bar until one clears. Not entirely compliant with the Olympic moto  "Citius - Altius - Fortius"

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The Simone Biles circus continues - she's now going to compete in the beam.

I genuinely believe she is making mockery of mental health issues.

Got to agree with you here.  She has the yips, not a mental health issue. I don't believe anyone has said this has come about because of pressure or some other influence, it's just something that happens to athletes from time to time.  A bit like a striker who has no confidence, can't buy a goal and has no idea where their next goal is coming from.  She even says herself it will pass in a couple of weeks.

If you compare it to the situation with Ben Stokes who's been practically in a bio-secure bubble for 18 months with all the cricket he's played.  he's seeing very little of his family and his father died recently.  You can understand how that could take a toll and he needs a break to get his head together.