Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Presumably the GB doctors tested her to see if she was fit. And probably worth taking a chance on it coming together on the day than putting in another runner who would have little chance of getting beyond the semis, at best.

With Paris only being 3 years away, she was just being utterly selfish IMO; & only declared the injury when she "didn't get beyond the semis" & was found out.

Edit to add* Her lane will remain empty in the 200m.

Edited by kiddy

Nah she presumably went in thinking she had a chance. If a potential medalist has a chance of being fit, they get picked, unless there is an athlete of similar ability that can be picked in their place. Anyone in her place would do the same if they thought there was a chance of a medal, IMO. 

Watching this on catch up and I have to laugh at how much the Jamaican 100m women seem to hate each other - or at least Fraser-Pryce and Jackson have barely spoken to Thompson-Herah.

Very different to other events, like the triathlon this morning, where even the athletes from other countries were all congratulating each other and happy etc. 

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Watching this on catch up and I have to laugh at how much the Jamaican 100m women seem to hate each other - or at least Fraser-Pryce and Jackson have barely spoken to Thompson-Herah.

Very different to other events, like the triathlon this morning, where even the athletes from other countries were all congratulating each other and happy etc. 

Are the Jamaican ladies together again for the relay? You'd imagine they would piss the gold medal if they could resist battering each other with the baton.

Asher Smith coverage is sadly an example of a broadcaster having 'invested' too much - literally and emotionally - in the athlete beforehand.

They have bigged her up as a star of the games for months, no doubt commissioned bespoke previews and lined-up special interviewees, but it's all ended-up a dud. Hence they wind-up talking more about her not qualifying than about another GB athlete qualifying.

Djokovic should have a good look at himself btw. If scratching the Mixed Bronze genuinely was due to him being in a flounce that's a shocker for his partner.

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Are the Jamaican ladies together again for the relay? You'd imagine they would piss the gold medal if they could resist battering each other with the baton.

I don’t know, you’d imagine they would be if they have any sense.

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Well the British are quite literally 'Hamstrung' in their chances, by having to carry DAS.

39 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Asher Smith coverage is sadly an example of a broadcaster having 'invested' too much - literally and emotionally - in the athlete beforehand.

They have bigged her up as a star of the games for months, no doubt commissioned bespoke previews and lined-up special interviewees, but it's all ended-up a dud. Hence they wind-up talking more about her not qualifying than about another GB athlete qualifying.

Djokovic should have a good look at himself btw. If scratching the Mixed Bronze genuinely was due to him being in a flounce that's a shocker for his partner.

Have to say, I did have a little chuckle at the idea that some BBC producer has spent so much time producing mind numbing previews to be shown before the 100 and 200m that will never be shown. Wonder of the BBC might show live sport instead? 

43 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Have to say, I did have a little chuckle at the idea that some BBC producer has spent so much time producing mind numbing previews to be shown before the 100 and 200m that will never be shown. Wonder of the BBC might show live sport instead? 

Best I saw was the mens 10k on the first night of the athletics. Their show opened, had their inane chit chat & went trackside to the start of the race.

Cramby & Brendan then went through their bullshit bingo, as the race meandered for a few laps. "That's the next half hour of our lives lost" I said to the wife, as there was only one British participant with little chance of a medal due to African dominance.

As I scanned through BBC online, lo & behold, they were giving a text commentary of the race, which was 2/3rds of the way through! I quickly jumped to Eurosport, which was running it live.

Why couldn't the BBC just open the show & say 'We're going straight to the athletics, where the 10,000m for men is under way'? & let the viewer watch the crunch point in the race as it happened? #clowns

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

They have an emergency featurette prepared about Luke Shaw's slippers.