Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

Couldn't find an Olympics thread so let's get one going.

Going to be a bizarre games amongst the backdrop of empty venues and the pandemic. That's if it even goes ahead with the chief organiser bizarrely claiming cancellation is still on the cards less than 72 hours before the opening ceremony.

I love the olympics.

Looking forward to it. There's a new event in the cycling called Madison which sounds ridiculously complicated. I wholeheartedly approve. If you read the points race bit first it just about makes sense.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/35685126
The Madison isn't new, but has been off the Olympic rota for a few years. It's absolutely manic to watch as the riders have to pass the baton as it were by grabbing their team mates hand and throwing him into the race.

30 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

GB v Chile,

Saw Chile against Australia back in Nov 19. 1-0 Australia but could have been 2,3,4,5,6-0:or more. Chilean goalie saved a penalty but not the one in goal in this game. Looking forward to the Matildas v Football Ferns (Australia v NZ) game later tonight then tomorrow it’s Australia v Argentina.  Aussie women should start with a win with Sweden and USA in the same group they’ll struggle to qualify. The Olyroos might win their last group hame against Egypt but Spain also in the group means no need to extend their stay in Japan.

They were checking to see if it was a penalty. Before doing so they had to check if it was offside before the penalty. That's always been part of VAR. Not sure why Ellen White keeps running offside when she clearly has the beating of the Chileans for pace.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They were checking to see if it was a penalty. Before doing so they had to check if it was offside before the penalty. That's always been part of VAR. Not sure why Ellen White keeps running offside when she clearly has the beating of the Chileans for pace.

I thought that the idea was that they ONLY check for one of 4 instances (Penalty, offside leading to goal, red card or mistaken identity) and if the decision cannot be given for any reason, then the ref's original decision stands?

In this case it wasn't a penalty because of the offside, so therefore the original decision of a corner should have stood.

What they can't do is review *everything* that happens during a passage of play just because there happens to have been a potential penalty.

51 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I thought that the idea was that they ONLY check for one of 4 instances (Penalty, offside leading to goal, red card or mistaken identity) and if the decision cannot be given for any reason, then the ref's original decision stands?

In this case it wasn't a penalty because of the offside, so therefore the original decision of a corner should have stood.

What they can't do is review *everything* that happens during a passage of play just because there happens to have been a potential penalty.

I think they check all potential penalties to see whether it was a penalty. If it was offside, it can't be a penalty, so they have to check that. I'm sure I've seen them checking in similar circumstances before.