Most Miserable Defeat

1 minute ago, Killiefaewell said:
1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
Actually, now I think about it, the most miserable I have ever been after a game was a 6-0 win. f**k Clyde & all who sail in her.

Willie Watters scored five did he not.

Yep he did.

We were on a 25-game unbeaten streak. 2,800 Thistle fans there, the great Chic Charnley, but it just wasn’t to be. I blame our respective clubs’ wildly diverging fortunes on this match. Fuckers.

Interesting to see this thread dominated by Pars fans, with few posts by my fellow jaggies.
We've been through a lot of guff in the recent past, so maybe we're inured to it now.
For me absolutely nothing compares with getting beat 3-0 by Ayr on the final day of the 1998 season. Nothing.
With the "Save the Jags" campaign defining that season, we really felt that staying in the First Division was imperative to our survival as a football club. Being relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history felt like a death blow. 
Added to that Celtic won their first title in a decade on the same day. The following Monday at my (Catholic) school was like VE day, everyone jumping and dancing around with their scarves and Celtic tops (worn under their uniforms) which couldn't have contrasted more starkly with my own mood.
Got quite emotional writing that. Everything recently has been a bit shite, but not a patch on that day.
Didn't Billy Mcdonald make an arse of a free kick that day, sure he passed it straight to an Ayr player and they went up the park and scored

Among the many horsings I've seen Thistle being on the end of, the most miserable I felt was the play off defeat at Tannadice was the worst. 0.00001 seconds away from winning 1-0, Greg Watson decides to keep the ball in play, instead of hoofing it in the stands. Utterly depressed for days after that.

A game I didn't attend as I was riddled with the cold but did watch on telly was when Celtic humped us 1-8 at East End, 1-4 down at HT. Just checked the teams and we had some absolute jobbers playing like Bryn Halliwell in goals and Andy Campbell. Celtic had guys like Roy Keane, Balde, Petrov, Nakamura, Lennon, Maloney, Hartson, Zurawski etc.

Just noticed Allan McGregor was an unused sub. Not sure what difference he would have made but certainly better than Halliwell. 

Among the many horsings I've seen Thistle being on the end of, the most miserable I felt was the play off defeat at Tannadice was the worst. 0.00001 seconds away from winning 1-0, Greg Watson decides to keep the ball in play, instead of hoofing it in the stands. Utterly depressed for days after that.
I remember being a teenager and being absolutely raging about this. Interestingly Greg is now my neighbour and thoroughly decent chap!

29 minutes ago, JFPar said:

A game I didn't attend as I was riddled with the cold but did watch on telly was when Celtic humped us 1-8 at East End, 1-4 down at HT. Just checked the teams and we had some absolute jobbers playing like Bryn Halliwell in goals and Andy Campbell. Celtic had guys like Roy Keane, Balde, Petrov, Nakamura, Lennon, Maloney, Hartson, Zurawski etc.

Just noticed Allan McGregor was an unused sub. Not sure what difference he would have made but certainly better than Halliwell. 

My parents wouldn’t splash out for Setanta so I followed this on Teletext.

My dad told me to stop updating him when it went 4-1 and genuinely didn’t believe me after the game when I told him it finished 8-1.

I was ballboy when we lost 0-6 to Rangers but that was more due to them having a fucking incredible squad bought with money they didn’t have.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:00, Duszek said:

We were on a 25-game unbeaten streak. 2,800 Thistle fans there, the great Chic Charnley, but it just wasn’t to be. I blame our respective clubs’ wildly diverging fortunes on this match. Fuckers.

5mins 16sec, the most mental challenge I ever saw

23 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

My parents wouldn’t splash out for Setanta so I followed this on Teletext.

My dad told me to stop updating him when it went 4-1 and genuinely didn’t believe me after the game when I told him it finished 8-1.

I was ballboy when we lost 0-6 to Rangers but that was more due to them having a fucking incredible squad bought with money they didn’t have.

Id need to check, but did neil lennon not score from outside the area in that game for 7-1/8-1? Can vaguely mind it and thinking it was really rubbing salt in at that point...

10 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Id need to check, but did neil lennon not score from outside the area in that game for 7-1/8-1? Can vaguely mind it and thinking it was really rubbing salt in at that point...

Lennon definitely scored but I’ve never dared watch the highlights of that particular game.

Oddly enough getting beasted 7-0 at home by a rampant ICT doesn't factor in here. The one that was genuinely miserable was the relegation playoff defeat to Airdrie which ended Brian Reid's reign and put a cap on the most pathetic run of form possible for a team who at one point looked competitive in the league and couldn't look at an SPL side but knock them out in the cups. A completely undeserved draw in Airdrie saw the first leg decider coming back to Somerset, where Jackson Longridge proceeded to get sent off after quarter of an hour (excusable given his experience, but obviously bad in the day, and he was promptly bundled off to somewhere that actually cared about his development and took off) and after (again) fluking to a scoreless halftime and then even more inexplicably to an equaliser proceeded to bottle it within 60 seconds and eventually lost 3-1 with nine men. At home. To fucking Airdrie.

Roberts proceeded to improve upon this train wreck by somehow steering the club into the promotion playoffs the following season, only to utterly capitulate to Cowdenbeath and lose 5-2, but at least this was tempered by them subsequently beating the Pars in the final (see first post in thread).

Edited by Thumper

On 26/07/2021 at 16:04, jaggyness said:
On 26/07/2021 at 05:32, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I remember being a teenager and being absolutely raging about this. Interestingly Greg is now my neighbour and thoroughly decent chap!

I was 13, had just been dumped by a bird (and was being suitably dramatic about it) and listened to this on the radio. I think I forget how awful I felt after this game as six weeks later Gazza scored his famous goal and I went into the biggest football related huff I've ever experienced.

26 minutes ago, velo army said:

I was 13, had just been dumped by a bird (and was being suitably dramatic about it) and listened to this on the radio. I think I forget how awful I felt after this game as six weeks later Gazza scored his famous goal and I went into the biggest football related huff I've ever experienced.

Dumped, then Thistle, then Gazza? Surprised you survived. Your pubic hormones must have been running wild.

2-5 at home to the Pars in their purple and green strip, with Ray Allan in goals.  Really terrible experience.
Original Rangers winning 9IAR with a 6-0 win at Starks not great.
Actually this isn't a lot of fun to think about so I'm going to leave it there...

I remember that pars game as well. The Rangers one resinates because it was a midweek game and we had shipped 5 goals to motherwell on the saturday at fir park. It just seemed like every shot the opposition hit over they games went in. The Alloa draw, Brechin and pars defeats mentioned are up there as well.
The hibs and st mirren defeats towards the end of the season under locke and hughes were quite miserable as well. Pulled hibs back to 2 each before they scored a free kick that went right through our wall. Then you had Hughes calling the players out after a 5-0 hammering by st mirren, topped off with the brechin result.

Has already been mentioned, but that 0-0 against Alloa made me question my love for football for a while. Best squad in the league by far, but Barry Smith had us playing puntball despite having a front four consisting of Vaughan, Liam Buchanan, Greig Spence and Bobby Barr! Will never get over that season, despite us being in a ten times better place now. 

3 hours ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

Has already been mentioned, but that 0-0 against Alloa made me question my love for football for a while. Best squad in the league by far, but Barry Smith had us playing puntball despite having a front four consisting of Vaughan, Liam Buchanan, Greig Spence and Bobby Barr! Will never get over that season, despite us being in a ten times better place now. 

Better than Shankland, Moore, Moffat and McDaid??

Come on man they scored over eighty goals between them that season. Chuck in Forrest with another 10. There is absolutely no way your statement is correct.

If we had a competent keeper that year the league would have been sewn up by January

Edited by I'm Brian