Most Miserable Defeat

Only a few games stand out to me, a 3-0 defeat from Accies in January 2017. Fairly sure we’d signed Billy McKay on loan the day of the game. I was feeling confident, scudded 3-0. Think Greg Tansey missed a penalty and at that point I knew we were doomed if we kept Foran in charge. Never felt more downbeat after a game of football. 

And a 5-1 battering from Hearts at the start of the same season (I think). Still to this day the only game I’ve ever left early. 

Statistically best defence in the country after Celtic. We had the divisions top scorers from the previous campaign, and a young Lewis Vaughan who started like a house on fire until our manager decided to play him in midfield. Our season was fucked by those two games at Somerset where we just let Ayr attack us. 
Statistically Ayr were the top scorers in all competitions that season, in BRITAIN.

A standout for me, not mentioned so far, was a boxing day 3-0 home pumping by Stirling in 2005. We were playing in the second division after back-to-back relegations and this just cemented how bad we had become and how unlikely it was that we would get out of the division that season (which we did, somehow, in a largely undeserved play-off promotion), 

On 20/07/2021 at 18:56, 19QOS19 said:

Been plenty of late goals conceded over the years but losing to Stranraer the season our "Great Escape" was a big blow. It was a massive game we failed to win and I left thinking we were genuinely going to get relegated. A combination of Ian McCall and a complete collapse by Stranraer helped us to somehow avoid the drop in the end.

The 4-0 defeat away to Airdrie in the December of that season always sticks in my mind as particularly miserable. From memory, it was just a horrible day, both weather wise and the game itself.

On 31/07/2021 at 18:15, Offshore Rover said:

Most miserable draw - we win. Close the thread. 

I remember being at Somerset and tuning in to the Newcastle-Arsenal game (which was more interesting than Ayr getting pumped out of the cup by Smurn at home) which finished the same way. Glorious entertainment.

On 26/07/2021 at 16:25, L. Brilliant said:

5mins 16sec, the most mental challenge I ever saw

Archie, apparently the doyen of commentators - "quite frankly, it was a bad tackle"

I know it was a different time but my word, given the gratuitous violence, that was either a knowing understatement or complacent nonsense

This thread reminds me of pub talk with other Jag fans. Someone would say remember the time we went to (insert far flung place) and we had 2 sent off in the first 5 minutes then went 6 down so we all went to the pub. We got food poisoning from the pies and the bus got bricked so we had no windows and it rained horizontal. Then we stopped at (insert shitey town) and got in a big fight with the locals and 3 ended up in hospital, 2 in jail and big (insert name) lost a limb.

To which someone would say, "that's nothing I remember the time.... and beat it with a similarly depressing tale.

Feck I miss living in Scotland, I need to get home.

2 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

This thread reminds me of pub talk with other Jag fans. Someone would say remember the time we went to (insert far flung place) and we had 2 sent off in the first 5 minutes then went 6 down so we all went to the pub. We got food poisoning from the pies and the bus got bricked so we had no windows and it rained horizontal. Then we stopped at (insert shitey town) and got in a big fight with the locals and 3 ended up in hospital, 2 in jail and big (insert name) lost a limb.

To which someone would say, "that's nothing I remember the time.... and beat it with a similarly depressing tale.

Feck I miss living in Scotland, I need to get home.

Tales of woe are therapeutic.

On 02/08/2021 at 14:50, Duke Gekantawa said:

A standout for me, not mentioned so far, was a boxing day 3-0 home pumping by Stirling in 2005. We were playing in the second division after back-to-back relegations and this just cemented how bad we had become and how unlikely it was that we would get out of the division that season (which we did, somehow, in a largely undeserved play-off promotion), 

Suddenly I am reminded of a particularly honking performance away to Stenny in the summer of 2000. A bad way to start a memorable season.

So many calamities to pick from over the decades and the last three years deserve their own wee corner in hell.

There can only be one “winner” though and it is the Cup Final loss to ICT.

The level of abject scunneredness after that was off the scale, typical Falkirk snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Still can’t believe that a huge proportion of the ICT fans baled out before their team were presented with the cup.

23 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Not sure if the following Raith games have been mentioned but:

The 3 nil scudding at Somerset in March 2018

Being out on the cup at Hampden by QP.. not sure of the year

Barry Smith should've been binned after that game alone. Huge game where if we won we'd have completely negated the draws the 2-2 draws away to Albion Rovers and at home to Arbroath (both of which we bottled in the last minute). Our end was bouncing before kick off but it ended up being the opposite on the pitch: Smith played a 4-5-1 with Willis Furtado up top on his own against a team renowned for having a shaky defence. By half time we were being battered and the game was out of sight. Funny enough, that was Regan Hendry's first start - we'd signed him on 2nd January and he didn't get in until 10th March. 

Queens' Park in the cup was under Dalziel in the 2005/06 season. That was the year I first bought a season ticket. I didn't go to the game but I've been reliably informed it's up there as being one of the most inept performances we've had. The line ups are here albeit there's no order to positions: it's little surprise we got pumped given how many of that Queens team went on to do really well reaching either the Scottish top flight or second tier. 

Last game of the season. Giving the **** free reign of the stadium because the Chairman was a spineless Ayr c**t. Being down 0-3 within seven minutes and then just letting those mutant b*****ds run the place.

I’m pretty glad I lived in Wales at the time and wasn’t in attendance.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Barry Smith should've been binned after that game alone. Huge game where if we won we'd have completely negated the draws the 2-2 draws away to Albion Rovers and at home to Arbroath (both of which we bottled in the last minute). Our end was bouncing before kick off but it ended up being the opposite on the pitch: Smith played a 4-5-1 with Willis Furtado up top on his own against a team renowned for having a shaky defence. By half time we were being battered and the game was out of sight. Funny enough, that was Regan Hendry's first start - we'd signed him on 2nd January and he didn't get in until 10th March. 

Queens' Park in the cup was under Dalziel in the 2005/06 season. That was the year I first bought a season ticket. I didn't go to the game but I've been reliably informed it's up there as being one of the most inept performances we've had. The line ups are here albeit there's no order to positions: it's little surprise we got pumped given how many of that Queens team went on to do really well reaching either the Scottish top flight or second tier. 

Fair point re the QP team.

I remember that 2-2 v Albion well 😞

Another game that felt ferrible to lose was the playoff v Stirling in 2007. 0-0 at home then big crowd through to Stirling, bouncing pre match in the pub and ground. Then a total let down.. 3-1 Stirling

Fair point re the QP team.
I remember that 2-2 v Albion well [emoji20]
Another game that felt ferrible to lose was the playoff v Stirling in 2007. 0-0 at home then big crowd through to Stirling, bouncing pre match in the pub and ground. Then a total let down.. 3-1 Stirling

Went 1-0 up, I think Carcary scored. We then conceded a penalty within 2 minutes and ended up getting beat 3-1. Was that the side with Snodgrass in it?

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Went 1-0 up, I think Carcary scored. We then conceded a penalty within 2 minutes and ended up getting beat 3-1. Was that the side with Snodgrass in it?

He was at them around that time. I don't remember if he played that game although I had my head in my hands for a good part of it

Not even close to being beaten by a bunch of ayrshire junior jobbers, but we had a midweek game v Airdrie under Reid in 2010

Had we won we would have pretty much relegated them and we had just beaten Thistle at Firhill. Airdrie had a silly amount of games to play, thanks to the big freeze that year. A wee quick check back and they played 15 games between the  6th March an the 1st of May. This was the 12th game of that punishing schedule.

Jesus it was as brutal a second haf as I've seen. It was 0-0 at half time

John Baird lubed us up, bent us over and destroyed us. After that he did it again and again. 

Words can't describe how bad a night it was. 

3 days later Inverness stuck seven past us and ultimately we went down with a whimper