Most Miserable Defeat

Livi play off defeat is the lowest I've felt after a game, somehow still felt we'd pull it off. Spittal squares it to Erskine and it's even 2-2 on aggregate. That one wont stop being sore until we get back again someday. I mind when I was 11 though us blowing a 2-0 lead against st Johnstone in injury time and I was so taken aback I just sat sitting and laughing like a wee psychopath...

I remember that pars game as well. The Rangers one resinates because it was a midweek game and we had shipped 5 goals to motherwell on the saturday at fir park. It just seemed like every shot the opposition hit over they games went in. The Alloa draw, Brechin and pars defeats mentioned are up there as well.
The hibs and st mirren defeats towards the end of the season under locke and hughes were quite miserable as well. Pulled hibs back to 2 each before they scored a free kick that went right through our wall. Then you had Hughes calling the players out after a 5-0 hammering by st mirren, topped off with the brechin result.

That Hibs one is a good shout, under represented awfulness of that season. Jordan fucking Thompson inexplicably hand balled it on the edge of our box and Keatings scored the free kick on 93. I think that was the point where I knew 100% we were going down.

Think he just meant they were wee guys but Barry Branes had us shelling it anyway

He also tried to say Raith had the better squad that season which is way off the mark imo.

Smith tried to go down the route of having very good individuals rather than actually building a proper squad like we did.

Both squads had glaring issues and had either manager done something about them sooner the league would’ve been over by January.

On 27/07/2021 at 16:15, Thumper said:

The one that was genuinely miserable was the relegation playoff defeat to Airdrie which ended Brian Reid's reign and put a cap on the most pathetic run of form possible for a team who at one point looked competitive in the league and couldn't look at an SPL side but knock them out in the cups. A completely undeserved draw in Airdrie saw the first leg decider coming back to Somerset, where Jackson Longridge proceeded to get sent off after quarter of an hour (excusable given his experience, but obviously bad in the day, and he was promptly bundled off to somewhere that actually cared about his development and took off) and after (again) fluking to a scoreless halftime and then even more inexplicably to an equaliser proceeded to bottle it within 60 seconds and eventually lost 3-1 with nine men. At home. To fucking Airdrie.

I've become fairly immune to disappointment over the years, but for some reason this is the one which came to mind when I saw the thread. 

On 23/07/2021 at 10:15, velo army said:

Interesting to see this thread dominated by Pars fans, with few posts by my fellow jaggies.

We've been through a lot of guff in the recent past, so maybe we're inured to it now.

For me absolutely nothing compares with getting beat 3-0 by Ayr on the final day of the 1998 season. Nothing.

With the "Save the Jags" campaign defining that season, we really felt that staying in the First Division was imperative to our survival as a football club. Being relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history felt like a death blow. 

Added to that Celtic won their first title in a decade on the same day. The following Monday at my (Catholic) school was like VE day, everyone jumping and dancing around with their scarves and Celtic tops (worn under their uniforms) which couldn't have contrasted more starkly with my own mood.

Got quite emotional writing that. Everything recently has been a bit shite, but not a patch on that day.

I was at this game would have been 8 at the time .a huge game where we thought we were relegated .ayr were outstanding that say . I remember crying at full time id never been so happy .

Spoiled for choice really, but two games stick out for me.

Queen of the South 3-1 Thistle in 2005. We were comfortably beaten in a do or die relegation six-pointer. This was the day back-to-back relegations were all but confirmed. A large, drunken and toxic away support fighting amongst each other all afternoon and my mate from school spewing all over the police from the side of the stand after too much 20/20 on the way down. A really horrific time to be a Thistle fan.

No idea why I remember this, but this was the same day Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer were sent off for fighting each other when they were Newcastle team mates.

The other game that sticks out was Ross County 4-0 Thistle in 2018. Another relegation six-pointer and another game where our players couldn’t have cared less. I was up at 04:30 for work that day, finished my shift and was straight into Queen St for the train up to Dingwall. Slept all the way back to Glasgow on the supporters bus and didn’t get in until about 03:00. Expensive, shattering and soul destroying day out.

On 20/07/2021 at 21:56, Rob1885 said:
On 20/07/2021 at 19:51, Ringo Parr said:
Yeah I thought that after the Falkirk game in November '18 when we were all over them, only for them to score their only shot on target, in fact, that's another game I was extremely miserable after that result (I did however not skip my planned post match drinks after that game) . Doubts about Crawford began then for me. 

AJ was still the gaffer then Ringo. Although he should have been emptied at full time.

classic.

7 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Spoiled for choice really, but two games stick out for me.

Queen of the South 3-1 Thistle in 2005. We were comfortably beaten in a do or die relegation six-pointer. This was the day back-to-back relegations were all but confirmed. A large, drunken and toxic away support fighting amongst each other all afternoon and my mate from school spewing all over the police from the side of the stand after too much 20/20 on the way down. A really horrific time to be a Thistle fan.

Definitely the most poisonous atmosphere I've been in as a thistle fan. As well as the fights in the stands I remember fans singing "we are Thistle, you're no" and Will Snowden being the only player being bold enough to come across to the fans at full time and getting met with absolute torrents of invective despite being far from the worst. 

Next worst was when I was a boy and we lost 3-0 to Celtic at Parkhead and Gerry Britton missed about 3 one on ones, few of our fans were quite "big team found" that day suggesting he was missing on purpose. 

edit: latter game is now on youtube - skimmed through the game and certainly 2 of Gerry's misses are on file - 6.40 after a hilarious wrong offside call and 18.35 at which point you can hear the boos from the away end

Edited by Fuctifano

January 1991 - Scottish Cup replay, home to non league Ross County - pumped 2-6.

April 1996 - Gubbed and reemed 0-7 at home to Stirling Albion, described as a pub-team by both the Binos and the national media (they were right).

November 1999 - The shame of a 0-5 at home to Str*nraer.

All equally as miserable, soul destroying and humiliating.

Add to that the loss at the 2008 cup final to a team comprising of her majesty's most loyal imperfectly registered tax dodgers.

On 27/07/2021 at 16:15, Thumper said:

Oddly enough getting beasted 7-0 at home by a rampant ICT doesn't factor in here. The one that was genuinely miserable was the relegation playoff defeat to Airdrie which ended Brian Reid's reign and put a cap on the most pathetic run of form possible for a team who at one point looked competitive in the league and couldn't look at an SPL side but knock them out in the cups. A completely undeserved draw in Airdrie saw the first leg decider coming back to Somerset, where Jackson Longridge proceeded to get sent off after quarter of an hour (excusable given his experience, but obviously bad in the day, and he was promptly bundled off to somewhere that actually cared about his development and took off) and after (again) fluking to a scoreless halftime and then even more inexplicably to an equaliser proceeded to bottle it within 60 seconds and eventually lost 3-1 with nine men. At home. To fucking Airdrie.

I had been nightshift the night before and was full of good intentions of going to the match. However, I overslept and missed the game. I felt physically sick when I checked the score. It was a disgusting result.

The team we had should have been good enough to avoid relegation that season.

Losing 2-0 at Tannadice in 95/96. The game itself had little at stake - we'd realistically dropped out of the promotion race (it was the season the DABs would beat Partick in that play-off) but it was just a shite time. We'd started the season really well and had only lost one game before December, reached the Coca Cola (League Cup) Final, but we bottled that and lost meekly to Aberdeen, which triggered a shite run. The derby game was a dreadful affair, as we offered no threat and ended the game with nine men, with one of Chic Charnley's routine red cards for forearm-smashing Robbie Winters, then Jim Duffy picking up a red late on.  I'd also been off my tits on speed in DeStihl's the night before so was suffering this shit with an atrocious comedown, it was freezing cold and probably raining. 

Pish. 

18 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Better than Shankland, Moore, Moffat and McDaid??

Come on man they scored over eighty goals between them that season. Chuck in Forrest with another 10. There is absolutely no way your statement is correct.

If we had a competent keeper that year the league would have been sewn up by January

Statistically best defence in the country after Celtic. We had the divisions top scorers from the previous campaign, and a young Lewis Vaughan who started like a house on fire until our manager decided to play him in midfield. Our season was fucked by those two games at Somerset where we just let Ayr attack us. 

2 minutes ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

Statistically best defence in the country after Celtic. We had the divisions top scorers from the previous campaign, and a young Lewis Vaughan who started like a house on fire until our manager decided to play him in midfield. Our season was fucked by those two games at Somerset where we just let Ayr attack us. 

You failed to win the league over 36 games. How many more games did you want to prove you were the best team in the league that season?

2 hours ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

April 1996 - Gubbed and reemed 0-7 at home to Stirling Albion, described as a pub-team by both the Binos and the national media (they were right).

Add to that the loss at the 2008 cup final to a team comprising of her majesty's most loyal imperfectly registered tax dodgers.

Did you have to remind me of that Stirling game .... did it finish at 7? Think I walked out at 0-5, and I hardly ever do that, but we were so clueless and totally inept that day, truly dreadful stuff.

As for the 2008 final, that Kris grinning Boyd header still haunts me. Also how lacking in magnanimity the Govan management team were in their post match interviews ... couldn't even recognise the contribution of the plucky lower league side to making a real game of it. Just moaned about how many games they had to play and how the whole world was against them despite the massive gulf in resources between the two clubs, no class.

Okay mate.

31 minutes ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

Aye, the only reason the most prolific team in the country effortlessly swatted Raith aside 3-0 on two occasions was because Raith “let” Ayr attack them.

Aye, the only reason the most prolific team in the country effortlessly swatted Raith aside 3-0 on two occasions was because Raith “let” Ayr attack them.

Takes a brave man to stand up and be adamant, 4 years on, that’s we deserved to win that league. Ayr were better than us, as seen in the results at Ayr. I was at both games. We were awful in both and had no answer to Ayr’s direct approach through Moffat and Shankland.