Most Miserable Defeat

Absolutely loved that 09 derby game. Had just started a part-time job with ASDA that morning and went straight to Kirkcaldy after my shift ended. The scenes when we went in front at the end were sensational.

I’m pretty sure after the 0-5 to Hamilton, we lost 0-4 to Livingston and then 0-3 against a putrid Stirling side, which was probably the worst result of the lot. Kenny wasn’t sacked!

Ayr 1 Sevco 6 - Ayr were superb for over an hour in this game and took the lead through Alan Forrest. The final 25 minutes saw a pathetic capitulation occur which included three goals conceded in under ten minutes. Plus the weather was awful, so I was away up the road before the final whistle.

Killie 3 Ayr 1 - Killie were reduced to ten men with the score at 1-1. They suddenly started playing better with ten men than they did with eleven.

Ayr 1 Ross County 4 - we were four down at half-time thanks to really poor goalkeeping from Barry John Corr. He refused to come out for the second half and never played in the senior leagues again.

Auchinleck Talbot 1 Ayr 0 - this was a disgusting result and what made it worse was that our management team never appeared to take the game seriously. We got what we deserved from the match. 

2 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Hafnafjoujaoruguahgharoagh up at McDermid, nothing good about that at all. 

Was following it on the Teletext and kept waiting on it switching to “FT”. It finally did and I let out the briefest cheer before realising the score had changed to “1-2”.

12-year-old me was distraught.

Lots been mentioned from a Rovers perspective but two stand out for me.

Gretna 5 Rovers 1. Decided to wing it in terms of directions on the way down. Got lost and ended up trying to do a u-turn on a single track road which resulted in car getting stuck in a muddy verge. Had to knock on a farmers door to tow us out. Arrived with 1 minute to spare. Then wished we’d stayed in the verge. To make things worse, the Gretna ‘enclosure’ was so small, low and tinpot that I even smashed my knuckles on the roof when celebrating our goal. 

Meadowbank 6 Rovers 0. The week after we’d smashed Stenhousemuir 9-2 and thought we were turning a corner under Bobby Wilson. Conceding six second half goals, Rovers fans fighting amongst themselves in the last ten minutes and embarrassingly it is forever in the record books as Meadowbank’s biggest ever win.  Just grim. 

To make myself feel better, remember watching the Pars v Cowdenbeath play off game. Absolutely glorious. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Interesting to see this thread dominated by Pars fans, with few posts by my fellow jaggies.

We've been through a lot of guff in the recent past, so maybe we're inured to it now.

For me absolutely nothing compares with getting beat 3-0 by Ayr on the final day of the 1998 season. Nothing.

With the "Save the Jags" campaign defining that season, we really felt that staying in the First Division was imperative to our survival as a football club. Being relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history felt like a death blow. 

Added to that Celtic won their first title in a decade on the same day. The following Monday at my (Catholic) school was like VE day, everyone jumping and dancing around with their scarves and Celtic tops (worn under their uniforms) which couldn't have contrasted more starkly with my own mood.

Got quite emotional writing that. Everything recently has been a bit shite, but not a patch on that day.

13 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Was following it on the Teletext and kept waiting on it switching to “FT”. It finally did and I let out the briefest cheer before realising the score had changed to “1-2”.

12-year-old me was distraught.

I was at it. I would have been 11 at the time. I hid in the toilets the last 5 minutes. Heard a bit of a cheer (the 3 Icelandic fans were in our stand, so thought what I was hearing was us scoring or something going in our favour) Couldn't believe my eyes when I seen them all celebrating on the pitch. Can vividly remember them in their all-blue strip going mental. An absolute fucking travesty. We had a team that should have been able to stick a good few past them. Dempsey, Byrne, Brewster, Hunt, Mason, Young...all good professionals and we absolutely blew it. Davie fucking Hay. He turned a team full of decent pros that should have been at least top 6 and slaughtering Icelandic minnows, to an absolute crock of shite battling relegation the full season, all whilst signing fucking clowns like Hristov, Christiansen (sp?), Makel etc. Andy Tod actually dug us out the shit quite a lot during that season. I'm certain he was our top goal-scorer.

On 20/07/2021 at 13:38, Michael W said:

The 0-0 against Alloa under Smith, with Ayr winning the league despite handing it to us on a plate by losing (to Alloa, oddly enough) the previous weekend. Sickened me so much I barely spoke for the rest of the day, and then on the Sunday had a day out in fucking Ayrshire of all places. 

I didn't realise Vaughan had hit the post until after the game.  Just thankful it didn't happen in front of the South Stand.

16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I didn't realise Vaughan had hit the post until after the game.  Just thankful it didn't happen in front of the South Stand.

Neither did I. I just thought the 'keeper had made a mess of Davidson's header and caused a flap in defence. 

Final whistle went about ten seconds later. Devastating. 

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Interesting to see this thread dominated by Pars fans, with few posts by my fellow jaggies.

We've been through a lot of guff in the recent past, so maybe we're inured to it now.

For me absolutely nothing compares with getting beat 3-0 by Ayr on the final day of the 1998 season. Nothing.

With the "Save the Jags" campaign defining that season, we really felt that staying in the First Division was imperative to our survival as a football club. Being relegated to the third tier for the first time in our history felt like a death blow. 

Added to that Celtic won their first title in a decade on the same day. The following Monday at my (Catholic) school was like VE day, everyone jumping and dancing around with their scarves and Celtic tops (worn under their uniforms) which couldn't have contrasted more starkly with my own mood.

Got quite emotional writing that. Everything recently has been a bit shite, but not a patch on that day.

Must have really hit you hard mate! It was 3-1.  Evans made it 1-1 just before halftime!

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Andy Tod actually dug us out the shit quite a lot during that season. I'm certain he was our top goal-scorer.

Think he got a hat-trick vs Dundee? Derek Young got a few as well.

I know we didn’t score many that season and would have been down if not for Leish.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Just to cheer you up a wee bit, the scoreline was 3-1

Just realised it's further up. Double the cheering up

Edited by I'm Brian

12 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Just to cheer you up a wee bit, the scoreline was 3-1

Just realised it's further up. Double the cheering up

Aye you lads are right.

It turned out fine in the end, paving the way for Lambie to make a glorious return and cement his place in Thistle folklore by leading us to consecutive promotions and a cup semi. 

It also means that of every shitey result and relegation has hurt much less than it otherwise would have.

10 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye you lads are right.

It turned out fine in the end, paving the way for Lambie to make a glorious return and cement his place in Thistle folklore by leading us to consecutive promotions and a cup semi. 

It also means that of every shitey result and relegation has hurt much less than it otherwise would have.

As fantastic as that day was for us, looking back at the last 23 years if we had lost and Dalziel had got his jotters, things could have been so much better for us.

Perhaps a controversial statement, but with the benefit of hindsight you probably got a better deal that day. For us It papered over the cracks of how tragically bad a manager Dalziel was

23 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Absolutely loved that 09 derby game. Had just started a part-time job with ASDA that morning and went straight to Kirkcaldy after my shift ended. The scenes when we went in front at the end were sensational.

I’m pretty sure after the 0-5 to Hamilton, we lost 0-4 to Livingston and then 0-3 against a putrid Stirling side, which was probably the worst result of the lot. Kenny wasn’t sacked!

I think it went 5-0 Hamilton, 3-0 Stirling (away) before 4-0 against Livingston, I remember Kenny getting sacked after getting beat 1-0 against Dundee? However not sure how long after that was. 

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Think he got a hat-trick vs Dundee? Derek Young got a few as well.

I know we didn’t score many that season and would have been down if not for Leish.

If we're talking about the game at the end of the season it was Derek Young with a hat trick, I was mascot for that game, was v nice.

There's been a few and seem to be in cup game's, the 3-0 game against Ayr, don't hate anyone in life but Andy f###en Walker comes close, the Hibs final 5-1 canny stand sunshine on Leith and the crowning glory was that Welsh mob. But I did have three great days in Belgrade, after the game ended up on a boat with the CQN team, there goalie sprayed some girls with beer and these big basta*d steward's came after us, the funny side of it all was the player who won the penalty to put us out hit the deck when a Killie player brushed past him and he went down as if he was shot, but I was behind him when he was booted up the arse by a very large Serbian did he go down did he feck.