Most Miserable Defeat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/9404974.stm

This one came to mind. A cold winter night watching Ayr getting ridden at home by East Fife. By that stage our title “challenge” to Livi had already faded into the abyss but this was one of those games that just made you think “why the hell do I bother?”

Somehow we managed to find enough form to win the play-offs but there were some absolute stinkers that season. It set us up well for the impending two and a half seasons under Roberts - you could probably have a catalogue of games from that era in this thread.

On 20/07/2021 at 14:24, Hank Scorpio said:

Craig Wilson, ex-par, scoring a 93rd minute own goal in front of a full North Stand v Dunfermline whilst fireworks went off above the stand from the Beveridge Park was pretty high on the miserable scale.

7th November 2009, I still have it as my favourite game, possibly ever. 

20 hours ago, Ringo Parr said:

It's been mentioned but the Raith game in the Scottish Cup 2019 was a complete sickener. Unbelievable arse collapse in the second half. I was so pissed off after the game I skipped the planned post game drink and fucked off home in a total rage. 

Probably just what Raith fans wanna read about tbh 

Was on a weekend break in Amsterdam to watch Gerry Cinnamon, phone was swiftly turned off and I had a great night. 

19 hours ago, Ringo Parr said:

Yeah I thought that after the Falkirk game in November '18 when we were all over them, only for them to score their only shot on target, in fact, that's another game I was extremely miserable after that result (I did however not skip my planned post match drinks after that game) . Doubts about Crawford began then for me. 

If that's the one we missed a penalty in, then I was on a stag do in Hamburg, delighted I missed it. 

I've been very fortunate to miss some of the horror games mentioned on here, thank f**k. 

For me, it's probably the final game of the regular season two years ago.

We'd been shit for ages, but knew a win at home against Partick Thistle would secure safety.  Defeat would probably put us in the play off spot. There was a big crowd because Thistle were in similar bother.

Right from the opening seconds we were panicky and hopeless.  We fell behind in the first half and really barely threatened all afternoon, eventually slithering to a 0-3 defeat.

It was just such a pathetic performance, devoid of any quality and seemingly, any concern about it.  Given the clear stakes, it was just inexplicably awful.  

The postscript is that Naysmith got sacked that evening and we survived the play-offs surprisingly comfortably.  

I still can't forget that performance though.  I left the ground entirely convinced we were down.  Most annoyingly of all, Falkirk got relegated that day and I couldn't even enjoy that properly for another couple of weeks.

You can take your losses to Dunfermline, missing out promotion at home to Alloa, relegated by Brechin. The only game that really springs to mind that sent me into an internal rage with the inability to communicate for the bulk of the weekend... Raith Rovers 1-2 St Mirren 2000.

11 minutes ago, Raithie said:

You can take your losses to Dunfermline, missing out promotion at home to Alloa, relegated by Brechin. The only game that really springs to mind that sent me into an internal rage with the inability to communicate for the bulk of the weekend... Raith Rovers 1-2 St Mirren 2000.

Haha, just beat me too it.

Go 1 nil up with 5 mins to go then Guido comes to collect a routine ball....

I still struggle to believe we lost that day... some goal from Mendes though...

18 minutes ago, Raithie said:

2 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Haha, just beat me too it.

Go 1 nil up with 5 mins to go then Guido comes to collect a routine ball....

I still struggle to believe we lost that day... some goal from Mendes though...

You guys came from behind to beat us 2-1 with two goals in injury time a year before that. Absolutely sickening scenes. Sickening.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Most annoyingly of all, Falkirk got relegated that day and I couldn't even enjoy that properly for another couple of weeks.

I was at the Falkirk Stadium that day. It was absolutely hilarious. Fans kicking cars of directors, throwing bins and actual tears.

Not as funny as watching Brechin relegate Rovers but it’s up there.

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

7th November 2009, I still have it as my favourite game, possibly ever. 

Was on a weekend break in Amsterdam to watch Gerry Cinnamon, phone was swiftly turned off and I had a great night. 

If that's the one we missed a penalty in, then I was on a stag do in Hamburg, delighted I missed it. 

I've been very fortunate to miss some of the horror games mentioned on here, thank f**k. 

Aye you definitely dodged a few bullets with those games. That whole season for me was just a f**k up from start to finish, I worked a lot of Saturdays then and the games I did make were all defeats. 

The Hibs final where we got walloped 5-1 takes it for me. I was 15 at the time and it was around the time I was going to every away game on the supporters bus. I'd absolutely convinced myself we were going to win, didn't even think losing that was a possibility (naive considering the quality of that Hibs team). To watch us get obliterated like that was stunning - I don't think I spoke to anyone for days after that. 

On the plus side, I've not been too downbeat at any of the many footballing disappointments I've experienced since. What can I say, it was a character building 5-1 scudding. 

Losing 2-1 to Albion Rovers, to a 93rd minute winner by Mark fucking Yardley (21 stone) in 2003 was yeah, not very fun at all. That defeat put us IIRC nine points off the top of the Third fucking Division with just five games to go, with three teams (including Albion) in the promotion fight. At that point, it looked like another season inexplicably slumming it in that division. 

Instead we won our next five games without conceding a goal and clinched the title in front of a packed Cappielow in glorious scenes.

22 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

The Hibs final where we got walloped 5-1 takes it for me. I was 15 at the time and it was around the time I was going to every away game on the supporters bus. I'd absolutely convinced myself we were going to win, didn't even think losing that was a possibility (naive considering the quality of that Hibs team). To watch us get obliterated like that was stunning - I don't think I spoke to anyone for days after that. 

On the plus side, I've not been too downbeat at any of the many footballing disappointments I've experienced since. What can I say, it was a character building 5-1 scudding. 

That was a scunner but the joy of the Hibs fans & their rendition of Sunshine on Leith softened it a bit for me somehow. The 3 nil loss to "them" in the Scottish Cup with Ray Montgomerie getting sent off & the OF diving apologist Andy w****r scoring that pelanty was a very low point for me.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I was at the Falkirk Stadium that day. It was absolutely hilarious. Fans kicking cars of directors, throwing bins and actual tears.

Not as funny as watching Brechin relegate Rovers but it’s up there.

Still incredible that they'd not have been relegated had their fans not been so daft at Palmerston. 90th minute Falkirk goal, pitch invasion from the Falkirk fans, extra time added on and Dobbie scores a penalty to equalise. Falkirk relegated on goal difference and not back since. 

9 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Still incredible that they'd not have been relegated had their fans not been so daft at Palmerston. 90th minute Falkirk goal, pitch invasion from the Falkirk fans, extra time added on and Dobbie scores a penalty to equalise. Falkirk relegated on goal difference and not back since. 

They also wouldn't have been relegated if they had just taken a single point against a Jonatan Johannson managed rabble, on their own, three-sided bin of a ground, with three games to go that season.

But then this happened instead.

giphy.gif&key=66a2b1f9712b2628f1554160c4

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

They also wouldn't have been relegated if they had just taken a single point against a Jonatan Johannson managed rabble, on their own, three-sided bin of a ground, with three games to go that season.

But then this happened instead.

giphy.gif&key=66a2b1f9712b2628f1554160c4

Not the same without the commentary tbf....

20 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

To be fair, the referee getting conned by a shocking dive may have been a factor too.

On 20/07/2021 at 14:01, mps02 said:

Ict 4 Ayr 3. 3 up at ht and blew it big style.

Steve Paterson's team were legends. We thought they could achieve anything. At half time we were discussing whether we could still win it. 9 mins into the second half Sheerin got the first and we knew we would. When Wyness scored the winner there were nearly 20 mins left.

My personal nightmare was Feb 2007. Home to Celtic in the last 8 of the Cup. Led for most of the game 1-0 and dreamed of our 3rd ever semi final having been to Hampden in 2003 and 2004, and knocking Celtic out for the 3rd time in our short history. Celtic usually make you work hard for your win but they hardly threatened at all. 4 Celtic fans pretending to be home fans got up and left with people laughing and pointing at them and shouting "see you next week!" Then Pressley scored with 2 minutes to go and we resigned ourselves to a replay at Parkhead. Then Kenny Miller scored another...