Most Miserable Defeat

It's been mentioned but the Raith game in the Scottish Cup 2019 was a complete sickener. Unbelievable arse collapse in the second half. I was so pissed off after the game I skipped the planned post game drink and fucked off home in a total rage. 

Probably just what Raith fans wanna read about tbh 

11 minutes ago, Ringo Parr said:

It's been mentioned but the Raith game in the Scottish Cup 2019 was a complete sickener. Unbelievable arse collapse in the second half. I was so pissed off after the game I skipped the planned post game drink and fucked off home in a total rage. 

Probably just what Raith fans wanna read about tbh 

Aye, I was absolutely raging after that one.

Seems harsh but that performance and result alone should have shown the Board that Crawford didn’t have it.

Still find it mental he got the job full-time and probably still would be in charge now if he hadn’t packed it in.

Seems harsh but that performance and result alone should have shown the Board that Crawford didn’t have it.
Still find it mental he got the job full-time and probably still would be in charge now if he hadn’t packed it in.
He'd already been given the job by that stage.

6 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Being 1-0 up and going on 2 or 3 against the Tribute Act until the 90th minute; at which point hot, shitey diarrhoea filled our skants and we lost 2-1. Then doing this exact same thing again. We had some right shanners under Dick Campbell but this was the most miserable.

Ah, you mean this one.

21 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Yeah I thought that after the Falkirk game in November '18 when we were all over them, only for them to score their only shot on target, in fact, that's another game I was extremely miserable after that result (I did however not skip my planned post match drinks after that game) . Doubts about Crawford began then for me. 

22 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
32 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

He'd already been given the job by that stage.

Was it not some sort of rolling contract deal where they could have patched him at the end of the season?

There was no justification for giving him the gig other than he was cheap and was a great player for us 15 years prior.

5 hours ago, placidcasual said:
6 hours ago, itzdrk said:
That Clyde game last season was high on our pathetic list but of course nothing comes close to the Talbot defeat. 

The Arbroath (4-0) game last season was worse than Clyde imo.

Nah I was drunk and at home for Arbroath, I was sat sober and freezing in the stand for Clyde. 

Edited by itzdrk

Yeah I thought that after the Falkirk game in November '18 when we were all over them, only for them to score their only shot on target, in fact, that's another game I was extremely miserable after that result (I did however not skip my planned post match drinks after that game) . Doubts about Crawford began then for me. 
AJ was still the gaffer then Ringo. Although he should have been emptied at full time.

As a lifelong Arbroath supporter, there are plenty to choose from - Irvine Meadow, being pumped 4-1 by Spartans in the cup at home, 9-1 to Celtic etc but the one that affected me at the time more than any other was a home league game v East Stirlingshire in ‘92. It was a very open game with Arbroath well on top. 4-2 up with seven minutes to go and Shire pulled one back against the run of play, never mind, we’ll see it out, oh f**k Shire have equalised, how did we conspire to draw from a comfortable position that that?

Cue big daft centre half Wattie Boyd thinking “don’t worry, I’ll get the winner” gallops up field and loses the ball around the halfway line, Shire straight down the middle and hit the winner - 4-2 up to 4-5 down in the space of 7 minutes. Stunned silence at full time. 

I also remember a game the following season where we were 2-0 up at home to Cowdenbeath in injury time at the end of the game and fucked it up ending 2-2.

That entire period from mid 80’s to late 90’s was a pretty grim period for us.

Edited by Tattie36

55 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

As a lifelong Arbroath supporter, there are plenty to choose from - Irvine Meadow, being pumped 4-1 by Spartans in the cup at home, 9-1 to Celtic etc but the one that affected me at the time more than any other was a home league game v East Stirlingshire in ‘92. It was a very open game with Arbroath well on top. 4-2 up with seven minutes to go and Shire pulled one back against the run of play, never mind, we’ll see it out, oh f**k Shire have equalised, how did we conspire to draw from a comfortable position that that?

Cue big daft centre half Wattie Boyd thinking “don’t worry, I’ll get the winner” gallops up field and loses the ball around the halfway line, Shire straight down the middle and hit the winner - 4-2 up to 4-5 down in the space of 7 minutes. Stunned silence at full time. 

I also remember a game the following season where we were 2-0 up at home to Cowdenbeath in injury time at the end of the game and fucked it up ending 2-2.

A very good friend of mine is an Arbroath supporter.

He went ashen faced when I asked if he'd been at the Partick Thistle game where PT had 3 men sent off, but still won! 😄

Like this was 2 or 3 years after and he still couldn't find the words to talk about it. Fantastic fitba PTSD. 

Almost the entire Stainrod era. 

Every week, We play Berwick this week, we have neve lost to Berwick at home before

Ayr 0 - Berwick 4

We play Albion Rovers next, we have never lost to Albion Rovers at home before

etc etc. 

But losing to Alloa at Recs 5-0 with John Hillcoat in goals. The only highlight of that match was Quitongo coming off the bench, doing 4-5 keepie-ups on the right wing and Mick Dunlop sprinting from the opposite side of the pitch to put him 5 feet in the air. 

One of the goals, Hillcoat came out for a cross, took a centre out the game around the penalty spot and missed the ball completely.

Just had a flashback of Airdrie beating us 4-3 in the Cup at EEP, despite us leading 3-2 with a minute to play.

Think that was also the time I booted a plastic chair in a huff and then had to walk away with tears in my eyes because I’d damaged a tendon in my foot.

9 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
11 hours ago, Ringo Parr said:

AJ was still the gaffer then Ringo. Although he should have been emptied at full time.

Well now I feel bad for giving Crawford the dogs abuse for that performance.

When was AJ sacked, it can't have been long after that? 

Comfortably this.  For some reason my old man came to this with me (he’s not really a football fan) and we go one nil up early on. After that the pits of despair opened.  It was freezing but my old man was of the generation that insist on seeing out what they’ve paid for. I think we were the only ones left at the full time whistle. It also coincided with the worst debut performance I’ve ever seen in Brandon Mason.

F80D52ED-D5E8-44DA-859A-68980854ECA5.png

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A very good friend of mine is an Arbroath supporter.

He went ashen faced when I asked if he'd been at the Partick Thistle game where PT had 3 men sent off, but still won! 😄

Like this was 2 or 3 years after and he still couldn't find the words to talk about it. Fantastic fitba PTSD. 

That was a very weird game. It was in the cup and Thistle were in a higher league and a defeat was expected so getting beat wasn’t the issue.

Our winger that day, Craig Cooper, was on fire and the Thistle defence just couldn’t cope with him at all. I think all 3, certainly 2, of the red cards were as a result of him being repeatedly fouled. 

Unfortunately for Arbroath, Thistle coped with everything else thrown at them.

My feeling at the end was that I’d just witnessed a freak game, I wasn’t particularly annoyed or upset at not winning though.

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Oh my god that East Stirling game mate still gives me and my dad nightmares, I must have been around 9 at the time and it was a great sunny day 4-2 up and dad saying it’s in the bag as only 7 minutes left, Think we then missed a sitter to go 5-2 up then all of a sudden if you remember it went dark and started absolutely pissing down then the rest was history, That walk home was so miserable, He will occasionally bring it up and I still have the programme for it, probably should burn it lol. I mind our keeper at the time Derek Balfour getting the blame for the result, My dad still laughs at the herald headline of BalFOUR blunders lol

Well now I feel bad for giving Crawford the dogs abuse for that performance.
When was AJ sacked, it can't have been long after that? 
sacked after a capitulation at home to Alloa just after new year.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

That was a very weird game. It was in the cup and Thistle were in a higher league and a defeat was expected so getting beat wasn’t the issue.

Our winger that day, Craig Cooper, was on fire and the Thistle defence just couldn’t cope with him at all. I think all 3, certainly 2, of the red cards were as a result of him being repeatedly fouled. 

Unfortunately for Arbroath, Thistle coped with everything else thrown at them.

My feeling at the end was that I’d just witnessed a freak game, I wasn’t particularly annoyed or upset at not winning though.

Not only were we in the same league as Arbroath that season, we'd just lost 7 games in a row in the league including at Gayfield a fortnight before. 

13 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Not only were we in the same league as Arbroath that season, we'd just lost 7 games in a row in the league including at Gayfield a fortnight before. 

Yeah you’re correct and I was also at the league win. For some reason when I think about that game I assume Thistle we’re out of our league (literally). 

41 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Oh my god that East Stirling game mate still gives me and my dad nightmares, I must have been around 9 at the time and it was a great sunny day 4-2 up and dad saying it’s in the bag as only 7 minutes left, Think we then missed a sitter to go 5-2 up then all of a sudden if you remember it went dark and started absolutely pissing down then the rest was history, That walk home was so miserable, He will occasionally bring it up and I still have the programme for it, probably should burn it lol. I mind our keeper at the time Derek Balfour getting the blame for the result, My dad still laughs at the herald headline of BalFOUR blunders lol

I think we missed a few sitters that day. Another game where we were cruising and (almost) threw it away was the away cup game at Inverurie in 2012. Absolute cigars oot fitba after we went 3-0 up, I remember Sheerin trying to back heel one in from about 2 yards out and it being laughed off. We weren’t laughing by full time though as Loco’s threw the kitchen sink at us and scored 3 including 2 in the last 4 minutes. Thankfully we won the replay 3-1 but I hate nothing more than complacency as things can go very wrong, very quick - as proved by this thread.