Most Miserable Defeat

As a mentalist of watching Ayr games in five different decades I have witnessed many a defeat I could describe as most miserable, but one will forever be remembered as the utter depths of footballing despair.

Auchinleck fucking Talbot. 

Close thread

Only needing  a point against Stirling in the last game of the 86-87 season to get promoted and being three down at halftime,  to rally but still lose 3-2 was probably my worst. 

I'm into my sixth decade of watching Ayr and I tend not to let defeats bother me too much. The Talbot result was made worse, in my opinion anyway, due to the fact they were local. Had it been a Fife team or something  I don't think folk would be as bothered. Cup shocks happen, it was our turn!

Edited by paulbrucerick

20 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Was the holiday in Belgrade nice at least? Lovely place to holiday imo

Lovely place, had a wonderful time. Especially glad I went given that I have subsequently spent 18 months (and presumably longer to come) stuck in my house unable to travel.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

The 0-0 against Alloa under Smith, with Ayr winning the league despite handing it to us on a plate by losing (to Alloa, oddly enough) the previous weekend. Sickened me so much I barely spoke for the rest of the day, and then on the Sunday had a day out in fucking Ayrshire of all places. 

I imagine the inevitable playoff surrender was probably worse, but I was back down South by then. 

The playoff defeat was more farcical tbh, summed up by the then Chairman barging his way through the droves of fans heading up Pratt St with about 30 mins still to play.

The playoff defeat was more farcical tbh, summed up by the then Chairman barging his way through the droves of fans heading up Pratt St with about 30 mins still to play.

I just remember there being about 15 to 30 seconds if silence in shock after the Brechin game. Then the shouts started at Drysdale who had been happy to comment about our fans earlier in the season in the press.

I didn’t even go to the second leg after we’d been beaten 2-0 away on the Wednesday night. I wasn’t even doing anything else, I just could not be fucked with it.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Talbot was a sickener, but after about 30 minutes you absolutely knew it was coming. Killie semi final, still adamant that c**t Heffernan handled it in the build up. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

He did. It was right in front of me.

7E071C08-41FD-4036-A208-9A55EBF0D77A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:
1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

7E071C08-41FD-4036-A208-9A55EBF0D77A.thumb.jpeg.3113326e8c0c496867e9c77742f98494.jpeg

Killie were there for the taking that day, IIRC they were in terrible form but Reid shat the bed and played for pens from the first minute.

I’m not sure if we were there for the taking but our defence was the weakest part of our team.  Attacking a Kenny Shiels team is always the best option.

Been plenty of late goals conceded over the years but losing to Stranraer the season our "Great Escape" was a big blow. It was a massive game we failed to win and I left thinking we were genuinely going to get relegated. A combination of Ian McCall and a complete collapse by Stranraer helped us to somehow avoid the drop in the end.

The season we were relegated I never had any games close to that feeling though, even when we were relegated.

Clydebank at Cappielow, so long ago I can't remember the year, but they hadn't won a game in about 2 years or something and us being us, I travelled fully confident we'd be the ones to snap that streak. And we did. Truly miserable midweek (I think) night.

Misery partially lifted when walking out and hearing Bankies fans calling home to say "yes really, we won etc". They deserved that.